Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159814 - 03/29/08 12:05 PM The encounter of two enthusiasts...
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Well, Thursday night Rick came down so that he could get some business done in the Houston area. After many delays at work I finally met up with him outside the maze I'd like to call my neighborhood.

After talking cars for a little why and unsuspectingly selling off several of the parts from my garage (aka the salvage yard) we got to playing Halo3 and continued talking about cars until the wee hours of the morning.

Friday we went our separate ways for the day only to have him beat me to the house again. We continued our quest to blast through Halo3 only to discover it was getting late and we still had parts to install on the car.

So, out to the garage with the intent to install a nicely used Wizair CAI and apply a base tune to the pcm to see what we could do in the name of efficiency(power crazy ) and nicer shifts. After the installation we fired the ol' girl up to find that at idle with no load things were pretty quiet and non intrusive.

A few more tweaks and a fresh tune and we were off for the test drive! I don't think I've seen a bigger smile on anyone's face as on Rick's as he laid into the throttle to bring out that all american muscle growl out of that n/a engine. The way his face lit up, it was like seeing a kid who just opened the door and found he was in toyland, candyland, or what have you.

Towards the end of our little test/joy ride we encountered a Mustang Cobra who I'm guessing felt a little threatened by the growl from the GT decided that it needed to assert it's dominance on the road by killing the little GT in an all out WOT for WOT race of sorts(not provoked mind you) where we didn't stand a chance. But it was nice and fun to know that something that powerful felt threatened by the growl of an N/A 3.8. devilsmile

After that he had to head back to the in-laws for whatever might be left of the brisket his father-in-law was smoking that day and we parted ways with the promise of more car activities and Halo3. cool

To Rick: Welcome to the grand land of Texas, it's nice to have another fellow enthusiast and generally cool guy semi-close to the area. cool

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#159815 - 03/29/08 03:18 PM Re: The encounter of two enthusiasts...
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
Sounds like a whole lotta fun! this just makes me want to go for a road trip now.
#159816 - 03/29/08 04:42 PM Re: The encounter of two enthusiasts...
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
awesome! glad he is finally putting some mods on that thing!
#159817 - 03/29/08 04:56 PM Re: The encounter of two enthusiasts...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
your writing skill shows promise my young apprentice darthvader

sounds like you guys had some good times...now he'll have to get out to a TMS event and really here that L36 scream laugh

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#159818 - 03/29/08 08:15 PM Re: The encounter of two enthusiasts...
20gtp02 Offline
I was about to say, Tbat has competition for the magazine article writing! There is nothing better for your car than a great tune! Now Rick has some more knowlegde of the 3800 and what tuning can do for it! Forgot, but does he have some exhaust work done?

#159819 - 04/08/08 08:08 PM Re: The encounter of two enthusiasts...
Richard Candelario Offline
well, unfortunately, Colleen did NOT appreciate the 99 GT tune. Back to OE 00 GT for me. Now that the stock re-learn is over, hopefully I can get John to raise the speed limiter (or is it rev governor, or am I bass ackwards?), turn the cooling fan on after shut down, improve throttle response, and keep the OE engine behaving.

John, I realize that I just told you this a minute or two ago, but I appreciate you opening your house to me, for the WizAire, and all the tuning. Oh, and all the pestering phone calls.

Gimme one more post, and Ill go ahead log off your 'puter, John, and let you back on.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#159820 - 04/08/08 08:22 PM Re: The encounter of two enthusiasts...
Richard Candelario Offline
I forgot to answer one question: no, I dont have any exhaust work done. Yet. devilgrin I am now lookin at just the 2.5 DP and h/f cat hearing what the exh sounds like now with that CAI/9" K&N. although I do wanna get rid of the u-bend, I NEED new suspension.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC