Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159821 - 11/28/08 11:00 PM electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
We all know these are junk, but I was thinking. What if I mount one just for when I am cruising on the highway would that give me better mpg? I can get a 240 cfm 4" PVC air pump for under $30. I can mount that in an HAI or FAI and put it on a manual switch that I can operate once I am at highway speed with the cruise on. My engine math calculator shows a 3800 uses 120 cfm at 2000 rpm. The 240cfm air pump should give me close to 1 PSI at the MAF. Hell, any positive pressure will help, right? I know with gas at $1.59 here mpg is no longer much of a concern for most. This is something I thought of this summer. I know it would be a huge restriction above 3000 rpm so I would turn it off. It uses 4.5 amps.

Let the flaming begin.

03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#159822 - 11/28/08 11:04 PM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
you have to think about that huge fan blades in the intake, they would spin non stop even if the switch was off, because you are moving air over the blades, i dont think it would be able to keep up, personaly i think you should make it into something usefull like a generator to charge your cell phone or something lol
#159823 - 11/28/08 11:07 PM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
You seem to have the numbers to back up it's potential and since it's only $30 why not give it a try?

My only thought is what kind of restriction the pump would have when it's turned off and not being used.

I don't think anyone can flame a person with a unique idea, the facts to back it up and the guts to try it out. Good luck and keep us posted!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#159824 - 11/28/08 11:34 PM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
andrew383 Offline
Loc: so. indiana
only way i think it would work is if you put a y in.but by doin that you would have to block off the incoming air and only use the fan.the fan in the intake piping would cause to much restriction....i think.... that makes since rite?

03 slp-fwi-udp-gmpp-aeroforce
#159825 - 11/29/08 12:25 AM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
restriction.

there is a guy locally trying to pawn one of those off as a "turbo" for a ranger pickup. obviously he was duped into buying it, and now he wants some of his $$ back by pawning it off to another un-knowing person.

if you force air into the motor, the pcm will enrich the mixture by adding fuel.

if you want better MPG buy a tuner and do it the right way.

plus if the throttle plate is barely open, it won't be able to push as much air as you think into the motor. when cruising around I notice my TPS is around 9%, that is not open very much.

those fans are meant to take exhaust fumes out of a boat engine room, so there is hardly any restriction for it to deal with.

plus you already mentioned above 3k its going to do more harm then good.

and it will always be spinning, as mentioned above when the car is running whether its on or off. so if you did a WOT run you might actually spin the fan blade faster than it was ever intended to be spun, therefore feeding your engine a plastic lunch.

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#159826 - 11/29/08 12:30 AM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
It's not going to create an increase in pressure. There's too much volume behind it for such a puny fan to pressurize.

Like our blowers. They only make boost because they can shove X amount of air more than the motor is eating and the rotors are letting slip by.

Fans like that can move air, yes. But they can't pressurize it. That's why they don't work. It's also why turbos/supercharges have those vanes/rotors with such tight tolerances, to create pressure and stop air from slipping by.

The other thing is that the fan itself will be a restriction in your intake. Once your motor starts pulling more air than that thing is providing, it's going to be blocking just that much more airflow because it's not doing anything but cause an obstruction.

It's like an autorotation descent in a helicopter. Same principles, just a different situation.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#159827 - 11/29/08 02:17 AM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
wouldnt any small amount of pressure this fan could theoretically create be lost inside the airbox? I am assuming this is being placed before the air filter, that being said, blowing into the airbox might bring cooler air but I dont see it moving any more air than atmospheric pressure will already do. If the filter is not inside an enclosed airbox then any excess pressure will be lost out through the filter itself.

Am I missing anything on your install? I would tend to agree with Jaybur that if your MAF sensor reads a higher flow it will respond by enriching the fuel...if that happens at a low TPS setting I would think it would hurt fuel economy more than it would help.

Then again the proof is in the testing, thats how discovery is made. All you have to lose is your time and a little cash. hey I did that just by ordering wheels lol

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#159828 - 11/29/08 11:07 AM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
The power you're wasting on the fan isn't free, either, on top of all the other arguments people have made, which I agree with. Theres no way you're going to get a net gain here.
#159829 - 11/29/08 11:11 AM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
jaybur Offline
I always click on "spam" so the link may not work, but that is just what this guy is doing. he was duped into buying it, now he wants his money back and he is still CLAIMING it is a turbo, so in my eyes, he is a scammer, just as bad as the guy who sold it to him.

http://medford.craigslist.org/pts/937706100.html

*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#159830 - 11/29/08 11:12 AM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
jaybur Offline
he even said in his ad "used it 2 times on the ranger" gee I wonder why that is, he turned it on 2 times, nothing happened so he took it off.

*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#159831 - 11/29/08 12:08 PM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
lol, if you want to push some searious air ... use a leaf blower lol, yes its a good idea but i dont think it will work
#159832 - 11/29/08 12:10 PM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
that thing looks similar to a trolling motor :p
#159833 - 11/29/08 12:56 PM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
I've thought of the restriction element at higher RPMs & that is why I haven't tried this yet. I'm trying to come up with a Y pipe or spring loaded valves that will allow air to come the tube when the engine demands more than the pump can move.

leaf blower dyno:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Leaf-Blower-Bolt-on-Dyno_7514.htm

ebay sold electric turbos: (haHa)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electric-...%3A1|240%3A1318
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#159834 - 11/29/08 01:42 PM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'd like to see the dyno with the leaf blower being run off the cars electrical system. :rolleyes:
#159835 - 11/29/08 01:46 PM Re: electric supercharger-hear me out before you flame
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
I'd like to see the dyno with the leaf blower being run off the cars electrical system. :rolleyes:
If it moves as much air as an M90 bet no worse then using the crank to spin the Supercharger.