Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160014 - 06/12/09 01:06 PM Re: Job Market Sucks!
20gtp02 Offline
I'd look into it Boost.
Looking back, at 18 I was applying.
My mom was out of town, and I was in a state of mind that I didn't like. Dad and I got in a arguement so I went to the recruiters office.
Once they found out I did some paper work and tests, they talked me out of it.
My dad put in 4 years in the Navy, didn't care for it.
I wish I kinda went to experience things, but now I am where I am at, I don't plan on trying it out agan.
But being 18-19 and looking for something to get you on your feet, I'd honestly look into a military branch. Do your research and pay attention to those that provide it on this board.
Good luck.

#160015 - 06/13/09 02:53 AM Re: Job Market Sucks!
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
Its getting tougher to get into the military. When the economy slows down, more people try to join the military. Although my friend did just get accepted to the marine's officer candidate school.
#160016 - 06/13/09 06:22 PM Re: Job Market Sucks!
Richard Candelario Offline
Pretty much right now, GED recipients or those without GEDs had better score over 50 on the ASVAB and had never been in trouble with the law.

No drug waivers autorized. At all. possession. intent. use. NOTHING.

GED with certain number of college credits are considered High School Graduates, and thus are not subject to other GED restrictions.

age limits are 17-41, must not have already had 42nd birthday by the time of Basic ship (for Active) or time of first swear-in (for Reserves).

Prior Service have a slew of restrictions, and those are changing almost HOURLY.

Want the most current requirements and incentive information? call your local Recruiter. This information is good as of Wednesday morning. And dont settle on the information from one Service. As Recruiters, we are required to Always Be Closing (salespersons from the civilian world would recognize the ABCs of selling), but there is nothing wrong with comparision shopping.

What my last Station Commander insisted on doing, and the other Services would not agree to, was to have all 4 branches represented in the Army office for an applicant who wanted to explore options, and the other branches would NEVER agree.

They know that the Army can NOT be beaten in benefit and incentive packages. They know that the Army is the only branch that will guarantee your contract, and all terms thereof, BEFORE you sign. The other branches require that you join the branch, THEN choose your job, bonus, educational benefit, et al. AFTER you've already joined their branch.

Taz, as for the "test drive": find one of your buddies or friends from high school or college or something give you a tour of their base. Preferably arriving Thursday and leaving Monday. That way you can see what an Army post looks like during and after work. Guarantee you'd bug your eyes out at the differences, and stark similiarities, between the Army and civilian ways of life.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#160017 - 06/15/09 11:15 AM Re: Job Market Sucks!
redgtman Offline
Loc: fort wayne, in
ok gotta throw my two cents in on this. the military is a great job! even though i hate my unit im in because its pretty stressful at the end of the day i know me and my family are covered head to toe! if you do go to overseas not going to say combat cause not many people see and actual battle! you get paid out the butt when your not on US soil! and if something should happen to you while your overseas you get 400,000 dollars to who ever u choose! that to me is almost worth die and not making me afriad! you join the service to stand up for your country, the military has so many benefits its unreal! just be smart on what job you pick because its not all cute and fuzzy on the inside, and no offense richard but some recruiters lie their butts off to get you to sign those papers! a story of mine was i was shipped off to basic and 3 weeks later MY own recrutier called my mom and asked if i was interested in the military?? and my mom flipped! but where i stand now is im taken care of i have my own car, bout to go to UTI via the military and everything will be paid for with the NEW POST 9/11 GI BILL but its a job that u cant get out of for at least 2 years! just talk to someone about it or look it up no harm in just lookin
#160018 - 06/15/09 04:14 PM Re: Job Market Sucks!
Richard Candelario Offline
That $400,000 life insurance is for all Soldiers.

The whole phone call thing: our computer system may have shown a different name or address or something. Lets say my name was John William Sloan. I was known to my recruiter as Bill Sloan. He then sees Jonny Sloan. But, because of the number of people we talk to, the address or phone number doesnt ring a bell, he then tries to sell the interview. I've done it before, and it made me feel both retarded and subhuman.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3