Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160196 - 05/30/06 12:20 PM reporters in Baghdad
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Loc: Bardstown, KY
I understand that the press has a job there and and they are in just as much danger as our troops. but what I dont understand is the publicity they get when something happens to them. Dont take that wrong, I dont want to see anyone get killed or injured for that matter, but it just kind of rubs me a little wrong sometimes to see their names and follow up stories plastered all over the news and all the recognition the troops get is a headline like 3 killed in Baghdad bombing. Not even a name mentioned most times. Then you have the reporters that were recently killed and injured. just watched a segment on the news about it and what really got me was that they gave the story about the two that were killed and Dozier, the one that was injured but at the end of it all they couldnt even list the name, hometown, or even the unit of the soldier that died by their side. it was almost like an "oh by the way" type thing.

I appologize for my ranting, but it just gets me a little. I am not trying to downplay the presence or importance of the reporters, i am just saying that the soldiers that are there fighting deserve a little recognition also, especially when they fall right beside the reproters that are getting so much attention.
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#160197 - 05/30/06 12:40 PM Re: reporters in Baghdad
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
I'e noticed that, but they own the media, and usually reporters overact some video reports, the LOVE to DRAMATIZE the moment, and a soldier knows exactly when danger is for real.

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#160198 - 05/30/06 03:54 PM Re: reporters in Baghdad
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I'm with you 100% and as a matter a fact I wrote a letter to one of the media stations in New York. I' waiting for a response.I wanted to see what they had to say about that. I talked about the same exact thing you talk about, how the name of the soldier was not even said. I also said that i was alittle PO-ed because they never give the names of the soldiers anymore it always "two soldiers died today, and on to later news"

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#160199 - 05/30/06 06:11 PM Re: reporters in Baghdad
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I saw those reports and was apalled at the coverage of the loss of reporters and the lack of coverage for my brothers in arms. I can see with holding names until the next of kin have been notified. You'll never see the background info on those soldiers like you did those reporters.

No disrespect for the reporters. That takes some big ones to go out there only armed with a camera.

It's their bosses I despise.
#160200 - 05/30/06 11:25 PM Re: reporters in Baghdad
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Quote:
No disrespect for the reporters. That takes some big ones to go out there only armed with a camera
x2, i mean no disrespect at all to the reporters, its just how it is presented to public and the coverage that goes with it while the soldiers barely get a headline sometimes. i just wish sometimes they would show some of the rest of the story. as with my last trip to Afghanistan, some of the guys got to make a few clothing, food and school supply runs and hardly a word was ever mentioned about it other than the local base papers. why does it have to be all about the carnage??

if it werent for the occasional short video that someone there has put together and emailed out, you would never see things like the reactions of the kids when you give them something so simple as a candy bar. anyway, im kinda getting off my original subject.
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#160201 - 05/31/06 04:41 AM Re: reporters in Baghdad
buggy2068 Offline
Loc: Warrensburg, MO
yes, well, i know the reporters are just doing their jobs, just like anyone else. However, just the same as the rest of you have said, I would for once, like to see them report something good. the media is exactly what is wrong with this country. why? because they control the country. don't believe me? think back to vietnam. the media was the reason we lost their. read the history. talk to some of the vietnam vets. i have done both. as a matter of fact i just talked to one the other day. he was a pilot that was shot down over Vietnam. you know what he told me? he said that we were winning that war. you ask any vet that was over there and i guarantee they will tell you the same. the only reason we pulled out was because the image the media created started a major public outcry to pull out. this pressured the government to withdraw the troops in the biggest disgrace our military has ever had to face, and to this day, these veterans are afraid to talk about that war in public because of the media. they didn't come back heroes, they came back the bad guys. they came back the villans. tell me where the justice is in that? It is a shame and a disgrace to everything this country was founded on with what the media is doing to this country. sorry, to go off on a rant like that, but that is something i have wanted off my chest for a long time. thanks for the opportunity. mad
#160202 - 05/31/06 05:08 PM Re: reporters in Baghdad
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Uggghhh,

The news was still going on about them this morning!

Not a word about the soldier. frown
frown
#160203 - 05/31/06 11:13 PM Re: reporters in Baghdad
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
i am glad to see that others share my opinion on this matter. i was a little afraid that this would turn into a debate. glad to see it did not take that turn. i talked to a few people at work about this, they all agreed with me, but i thought that maybe it was because i have a military background.
#160204 - 06/01/06 12:21 AM Re: reporters in Baghdad
Golden Glider Offline
Loc: Germantown, MD
I think that a lot of us on here have been or are still the military. Maybe we have a biased opinion, but I feel the same way you guys do. They should give each and every military member that has lost their life just as much if not more attention and respect that those reporters are getting. Just my 2 cents. Semper Fi!!!!

2000 Bronzemist Mettalic 4door GTP rollin on Enkei LM1 18" wheels, Powerslot Front and Rear Brake Rotors, Red Brake Calipers, Automate AM 9 Auto Start. Looks WILD HOT!!