Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160828 - 06/01/05 09:18 PM Anime' fans
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Arcxnus mentioned in another thread that she wasnt sure if there were other anime fans on the board. I'll be the first to step up and say I think anime is a unique artform all its own. Some of it is great and some of it sux...I was amazed to find out that in Japan, anime released in the theaters trumps anything else on ticket sales...over anything live action. I'm also in complete agreement with you on those two choices. Both Akira and Ghost in the Shell are classics that hold their own even today. I thought the follow up sequel "Ghost in the Shell: Innocence" was actually pretty good. I'm also a big fan of "Ninja Scroll" and the "Animatrix" disc that was released prior to the last movie had some of the best anime work I've seen in recent years. "8 Man After" was also a pretty cool series. My son keeps telling me to check out "Cowboy Bebop" but I have to be honest, I just cant stop laughing about the title...I guess I'll have to check it out someday...also the movie "Sin" was intense and "Submarine Blue 6" also makes the list.
anyone else a fan?

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#160829 - 06/01/05 09:44 PM Re: Anime' fans
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Not really a fan of anime.
I just never got into it, but I never really tried either.
frown

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#160830 - 06/01/05 10:13 PM Re: Anime' fans
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Me me me! *waves hands frantically* Been a huge fan ever since I was about eight or so. Sailor Moon, y'know. lol It just grew from there, from VHS to DVD to the internet and so on. I think I'm running on about six full avid years now. Manga, too, but not as much, since I'm too lazy to read an anime I could watch. Sub 6 was good! The Cartoon Network cut was awful, though, as usual. I despise that channel for what it does to foreign animation. X/1999, Rurouni Kenshin, Spriggan, so on and on the list goes, that I can't proper remember.

In fact, I just got the go ahead, and I'm going to be in Dallas Friday through Sunday for A-kon, one of the biggest anime conventions in the country. I'll take pictures, promise. smile Thousands of people travel to the Adam's Mark hotel every year for this thing; it's the first year for me to go.

But yes ..

I just

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/_phoenix3/DSC00358.jpg

might

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/_phoenix3/DSC00359.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/_phoenix3/DSC00362.jpg

anime.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/_phoenix3/DSC00363.jpg
#160831 - 06/01/05 11:49 PM Re: Anime' fans
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
The year was 1990. I saw Fist of the North Star. "Cartoons" were never the same for me after that.

I am a huge Hayao Miyazaki fan (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Totoro, etc.)

Akira confused and intrigued me the first time I saw it. I've since watched it countless times and never grow tired of it.

I'm a huge Anime Fan and T-bat Cowboy Bebop (forget the name) is one of the best anime series you'll come across. The same director did another show called Samurai Champloo that is pretty good too.

At least half of my DVDs are anime. There is a lot of "crap" anime out there, especially now that it is more popular we are getting more available to us -- for better or worse.

My all-time favorite would have to be Neon Genesis Evangelion. I own the original series. The three movies. And the "platinum" remastered series. What a dork I am. Oh well.

edit: Arc, you're no true fan. I still see bare wall in that room and there is plenty more room for anime in those containers! Shame on you, n00b! laugh

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#160832 - 06/02/05 04:28 AM Re: Anime' fans
RyanJ Offline
Loc: Warren, Michigan
Ill admit it im a fan.

there are alot of good stories, and alot of good movies; Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, are all some of my favorite movies. im no pro, just a beginner, but one of my friends is quite a fan, she has tons of movies.

but yeah, like anything there is a lot of crap movies too.

I just got a new movie, I think its called Jin-Rho, or something like that, havent watched it yet though.

'99 GP GT, Custom CAI, 180 T-Stat, U-bend Delete, NGK TR55IX plugs and Taylor Super Spiro wires.
#160833 - 06/02/05 08:34 AM Re: Anime' fans
ThunderBat Offline
hey Arcxnus, that is one very cool Manga Star Wars poster you have there...I used to stop off at Springfield Mall up near D.C. during my travels back and forth to New York City...they had an Anime shop in there that sold the wall scrolls and my son was crazy for them...He's a big DragonBall fan (NOT my cup of green tea...some heroes! by the time they get through yelling and sceaming and blowing up planets, there cant possibly be anyone left to save)...I did get hima wall scroll of "Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz" which I have to admit is very cool looking indeed...I also like the influence Anime has had on many new animated series...I'm really enjoying the new Cartoon Network series "The Batman" (big surprise, right?!)

#160834 - 06/02/05 09:22 AM Re: Anime' fans
Arcxnus Offline
Thanks! laugh We used to have a little store like that, too, and one a few miles away, but they both closed .. I agree with your take on Dragonball. lol It's funny, but true, which only ends up making it more funny.

Ryan! I hear Jin-Roh is pretty good, though I personally haven't seen it yet. And don't call yourself a newb! At least you're not watching Cartoon Network.

Ahh! JT has discovered the truth! Arc will never rise above the title of "Newb" on GPNet now!
#160835 - 06/02/05 10:29 AM Re: Anime' fans
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Arcxnus a fan?????? Maybe.... crazy

For me, it all started with the Robotech days (I have the collection). Since then, I started to watch anime here and there. Now a days, I love to watch Vampire Hunter, the Gundum series, Akira Special Edition (of course), Cowboy Bebop (can't find my copy), Ninja Scroll and whatever's cool.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#160836 - 06/02/05 02:35 PM Re: Anime' fans
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
I used to watch Pokemon when I was like 10, does that count?

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#160837 - 06/02/05 03:35 PM Re: Anime' fans
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by nad:
I used to watch Pokemon when I was like 10, does that count?
lol
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#160838 - 06/02/05 04:04 PM Re: Anime' fans
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
same here with the pokemon, what about dragonballz dose that count i watched that when i was like 10 also.

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#160839 - 06/02/05 05:02 PM Re: Anime' fans
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
Not really a fan of anime.
I just never got into it, but I never really tried either.
frown
Same here. Although I did enjoy the Robotech series. There was another one I use to watch all the time. I forgot the name of it maybe some one here can help me out. Here's some details. Took place in space. The mother ship was a Missouri class battleship outfitted with a huge cannon in the bow and was actually a space ship. I believe the ships name was . They also had these cool fighter type space planes. Anyone have any ideas?

found a pic of the ship

Ok this thread jogged my memory and I went on a little google and found it

Star Blazers.
#160840 - 06/02/05 05:21 PM Re: Anime' fans
Arcxnus Offline
My friend's dad likes the Robotech series, too, which surprises me because he's definitely not the kind of person I would expect to like this stuff. Some series are just that good, though.
#160841 - 06/02/05 08:24 PM Re: Anime' fans
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Oh man, I loved watching Robotech and Voltron back in the 80's! Funny thing at the time I didn't know they were anime... or even what "anime" was until I was exposed to unedited anime movies like Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, 8 Man Out, Demon City Shinjuku and Roujin Z. Those were my first animes.

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#160842 - 06/03/05 09:26 AM Re: Anime' fans
ThunderBat Offline
Yes Herc! Yes!...I used to watch Star Blazers every afternoon I could catch it (back before I got married the first time)...the series was orginally called "Space Cruiser Yamato"...but it was so cool when they would fire the "Wave Motion Gun"...especially the way it had to build up a charge and everyone had to brace and put their eyeshields on...then that sucker would fire and blast whole planets away!...I have the first graphic novel but am missing the other two volumes...but what a great show!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >