Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161358 - 08/19/09 07:51 PM Re: Who pay's for unemployment?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
As you say, hospitals are required to treat people, it just ends up costing us way more that way in many cases.
Doesn't that answer the question as to why medical costs are so high????

Crap, I just joined the hijack in my own thread.

http://pdxcgp.com
#161359 - 08/19/09 10:16 PM Re: Who pay's for unemployment?
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
it is part of the problem, yes. the idea is if people could afford to go to the doctor before an emergency, we wouldn't waste so much money when they show up on death's door.
#161360 - 08/20/09 02:01 AM Re: Who pay's for unemployment?
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
I've never heard that argument used. As you say, hospitals are required to treat people, it just ends up costing us way more that way in many cases.
I hear it all the time. Obama himself has talked about people not getting help they need because they can't afford it. Has he specifically said people died because of it? I can't say with 100% certainty. But plenty of others have.
#161361 - 08/20/09 12:35 PM Re: Who pay's for unemployment?
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
can't get the help they need because they can't afford it I believe, if death is not imminent, you're not going to get care, so if you need an operation to live, you're going to have to wait until it warrants an ER trip.
#161362 - 08/20/09 12:47 PM Re: Who pay's for unemployment?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I think some of the cases that are being cited are not so much a hospital directly refusing to treat someone with a life threatening injury or illness. But there have been cases of a hospital providing minimal treatment for a severe situation and then transferring the patient to another facility that isnt equipped to deal with the disorder.
I think the bigger example is when people with severe conditions that are being treated with lots of medication are sent home so the hospital can make room. They do this for insured patients as well so it is common practice. The problem arises when the ill patient (especially if they are elderly) runs out of medication and cannot afford to get more...or doesnt get it in time before conditions claim their lives.
My mother has had heart bypass surgery and her meds run her almost $400 a month, which is pretty steep for someone on a fixed income. I've had to help her cover cost on more than one occasion. For someone who has worked all her life both as a housewife and worker and to be leveled with this kind of burden to me is crazy. This country ships tons of meds overseas to poverty stricken countries, and while that is humanitarian it amazes me that we cannot solve those issues here at home. I'm sure my mother would be happy as a clam if her meds were free but she would be just as glad if they were much cheaper. If we adopted no other policies that other countries with universal care abide by save for providing medications for over 65 seniors and young children that would be a huge step. But once again the only way it would ever happen is if the *****ecutical companies were will to alter their profit scales...and that will never happen without Govt threat of intervention. If they actually competed against each other for lower prices everyone would win (like free enterprise should work) but instead, just like the oil moguls they work together to keep the market high.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3