Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161561 - 03/15/08 08:07 PM Tips on Pumping Gas
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
My grandfather sent this e-mail to me, ENJOY!

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS (Good information)

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

#161562 - 03/15/08 09:11 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
snowrider900 Offline
Loc: Owatonna mn
I knew about the no fill when there delivering gas, but not the others...thanks for the tips!
#161563 - 03/16/08 01:08 AM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
Baby Grand Offline
Loc: Edmonton, AB
I had no idea, I usually get gas in the evenings.
#161564 - 03/16/08 01:55 AM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
Joe Love Offline
Loc: Brighton, Colorado
I have only bought my gas once in the morning after reading this thats what im goin to do from now on thanks these tips are really helpful. this is very interesting
#161565 - 03/16/08 06:29 AM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
GTPJesse Offline
Loc: Wis
Thanks for the tips!
Appearance mods= 20% tint all around, HID's, rerouted flashes to fogs and tails, front grill has a Red Gtp badge,Calipers painted red, engine cover painted silver, and with red lettering, rear pontiac red overlays, and side Gtp badges have red overlays, Silver star fogs, A piller w/gauges boost installed, oil, knock have to be installed, and a GPS.

Mods to come= 3" DP, and others........haven't thought about it
#161566 - 03/16/08 07:05 AM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Thanks, taz! thumbsup
#161567 - 03/16/08 12:40 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
tazfootball2 Offline
No problem guys! wink I thought it was really interesting myself.

#161568 - 03/16/08 02:15 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
20gtp02 Offline
Thanks, recently read something like this from a clubgp thread.
Can you explain half of empty, cause there is no such thing. If you have half of empty then you have a negative amount. If empty = 0 then half of that given the amount of container, say X, you'll have -1/2x. So you'll have.

#161569 - 03/16/08 04:28 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
tazfootball2 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
Can you explain half of empty, cause there is no such thing. If you have half of empty then you have a negative amount. If empty = 0 then half of that given the amount of container, say X, you'll have -1/2x. So you'll have.
Your taking it in the literally sense, but on the flip-side look at it this way. Empty is an assumed amount that something (like a container) can be filled to a full amount. Empty=0 , and Full=1. If you have something Full (1=X) and subtract 1/2X (because you are losing 1/2 of your substance) you get 1/2X (This is Half Empty cause you're subtracting from what was once a Full container). If you have Empty (0=X) and add 1/2X (because you are gaining half of a substance) you now have 1/2X (This is Half Full cause you're adding from what was once an Empty container).

Therefore 1/2X=1/2X OR Half Full=Half Empty! Also, you can't add something to a Full container, vise-versa you can't subtract something to an Empty container.

Quote:
Empty is an assumed amount that something (like a container) can be filled to a full amount.
20gtp02, This is where you screwed up in your math theory! :p

......class is dissmissed!!! wink

#161570 - 03/17/08 06:52 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
20gtp02 Offline
You are making an ass out of u and me!
I don't get why you quoted yourself.
Here is where you screwed up lad:
Quote:
Empty is an assumed amount that something (like a container) can be filled to a full amount. Empty=0 , and Full=1. If you have something Full (1=X) and subtract 1/2X (because you are losing 1/2 of your substance) you get 1/2X (This is Half Empty cause you're subtracting from what was once a Full container).
If you subtract 1/2X from a once full X container, then you are going to have half of X = 1/2X. There is no where in there do you add empty into the equation because empty is 0.

You can't take anything away from something that is empty. You could steal my container though, that is full of empty...Wait, full of empty... how can it be full of empty....ROFL
lol

I keep editing cause I thinking of more.
If full=2 and empty=0; then 1/2 of 2=1. And 1 does not equal 1/2(0)=0, right....

#161571 - 03/17/08 06:53 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
wow im out of this now ... math was the worst for me ... i get in F in all of this
#161572 - 03/17/08 07:37 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
tazfootball2 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
You are making an ass out of u and me!
I don't get why you quoted yourself.
Here is where you screwed up lad:
Quote:
Empty is an assumed amount that something (like a container) can be filled to a full amount. Empty=0 , and Full=1. If you have something Full (1=X) and subtract 1/2X (because you are losing 1/2 of your substance) you get 1/2X (This is Half Empty cause you're subtracting from what was once a Full container).
If you subtract 1/2X from a once full X container, then you are going to have half of X = 1/2X. There is no where in there do you add empty into the equation because empty is 0.
Only problem here is, I believe the denominators stay the same when adding. Therefore i'm correct in saying 1/2X + 1/2X = 1X = X. For some reason I might be wrong there, can't remember!!!

quote:

You can't take anything away from something that is empty. You could steal my container though, that is full of empty...Wait, full of empty... how can it be full of empty....ROFL
cheers

#161573 - 03/17/08 10:42 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Thanks for the tips, but I always use the low speed one because so I can sit in the car. lol Im lazy
#161574 - 03/17/08 10:56 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
a question about the temperature thing... aren't gas containers put at a certain distance under ground so that the temperature always stays the same? they are pretty far down i think...

but i guess i could see it because gas goes into your car cold and heats up in your gas tank thus expanding...

but if your gas tank is half empty.... haha i'm good at math but what you guys say is BS!!! It don't make no sense... lol

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#161575 - 03/17/08 11:08 PM Re: Tips on Pumping Gas
20gtp02 Offline
I used 2 just so half of full wasn't .5, to confuse you. You can use 2 as in 2 gallons of gas. Half of that would be 1 gallon of gas. So half of a full tank (full tank=2 gallons of gas) is only 1 gallon of gas. And since empty is 0 gallons of gas, how can you have half of empty? You can't have half of 0 gallons of gas...unless Taz, you figured something amazing out. And Tyler, why is this bs? It's Math!
And I understand you can't subtract from an empty container, but the way you believe is right is basically saying subtract from an empty container. I was just putting in numbers to reiterate how you were saying this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >