Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161611 - 10/16/08 01:10 PM PAIN---T
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
ok the paint on my car isnt the best. i wash my car whenever it needs and i wax it at least twice a month..i use mothers products only. i recently noticed what looks like circles on the hood and on the car in various places. they arent like scratches ( i got alot of those) mad but i was wondering how to get rid of these dang things...its frustrating me lol..

I was thinking about getting the dent fixed the scratches all fixed, one little body panel repainted(the paints litteraly flaking off), get the two spots on my front bumper repainted(can you just paint a part of a bumper and not the whole thing?) , g

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.
#161612 - 10/16/08 01:59 PM Re: PAIN---T
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
The circles you are talking about are probably swirl marks. Your car probably wasn't completely clean when you waxed it and whatever dirt was on the car got etched into the paint. Do your best to always make sure your car is completely clean before rubbing anything on it whether a towel to dry the car off or an applicator for the wax. If anything is left on your paint it will leave swirl marks.

You either need a machine buffer and polish to buff the swirl marks out or there are a few products that you can use by hand to hide them. It will take a lot of work to completely buff them out by hand.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#161613 - 10/16/08 02:03 PM Re: PAIN---T
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
2x you need to use a buffer to get small scraches out, but you have to be carefull not to burn threw the clear when useing some polish and compounds
#161614 - 10/16/08 04:05 PM Re: PAIN---T
98greenGT Offline
4drgt you got a PM.

WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
Stock, LineX, 212K
#161615 - 10/16/08 08:59 PM Re: PAIN---T
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
My wife daily drives a 04 Black Monte SS. It has no swirl marks. I'll tell you the secret. Remember the Karate Kid. Wax on Wax off. DON"T DO IT! Always wash, dry and polish and wipe your car front to back, except for the bumber covers and the back of the trunk lid. Do those side to side. The hair line scratches you may put in will blend into the body lines of the car and not be seen.
Also use 100% cotton towels made in USA. I found mine at Target. Use liquid detergent only. After washing car, take nozzle of hose and run a full stream of water over your car. The sheeting action takes 75% of the water off. Much easier to dry that way.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#161616 - 10/17/08 04:55 AM Re: PAIN---T
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
You will get better results painting the whole bumper ,as far as for scratches in the paint buy your self a Porter Gable polisher use 3m machine finishing polish then use a quality wax it takes some work but you can get excellent results.Chico(pops)
#161617 - 10/17/08 11:09 AM Re: PAIN---T
00grandprixgt Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 98greenGT:
The circles you are talking about are probably swirl marks. Your car probably wasn't completely clean when you waxed it and whatever dirt was on the car got etched into the paint. Do your best to always make sure your car is completely clean before rubbing anything on it whether a towel to dry the car off or an applicator for the wax. If anything is left on your paint it will leave swirl marks.

You either need a machine buffer and polish to buff the swirl marks out or there are a few products that you can use by hand to hide them. It will take a lot of work to completely buff them out by hand.
theyre not like swirl marks like from bad wax job theyre like BIG acros the whole hood marks idk how they got theyre.....u cant tell theyre there until in drect sunlight...how much is a little buffer? what are some good products.....CHICO: id love to repaint the whole bumper but being 16 i cant afford to reapint the whole thing, i really wanna know how much it would cost to get it done

Ik thyre a write up for buffing somewhere....

72chevman: liquid detergent? like dawn? i heard THATs a no no.....i am recently using rain-x stuff that is car wash solution and carabu wax beads in it.. KARL crazy

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
#161618 - 10/18/08 02:17 PM Re: PAIN---T
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
Go to Meguiar's online. Anything and everything you wanted to know about polishing and waxing is discussed there ... including how to get rid of your swirl marks.

And I agree with Chico. Get yourself a porter cable DA polisher (or the meguiar's version, same thing). It sure beats doing it by hand.

Here's a picture of my hood after using Meguiar's:

#161619 - 10/18/08 03:14 PM Re: PAIN---T
98greenGT Offline
Swirl marks are usually only visible in direct sunlight so I'm pretty sure that's what they are. My car's covered in them lol so I'll try and get you a picture before I make them go away. wink

northtnguy- Exactly which Meguiar's products did you use? Car looks absolutely amazing by the way.

Stock, LineX, 212K
#161620 - 10/18/08 09:34 PM Re: PAIN---T
00grandprixgt Offline
OMG NORTH im in love with your car JAW DROPPING lol

98greengt: please do id appeciate it im goin to buy a buffer asap and some 3m machining polish...i just waxed my car and i will take pics of it tommarow

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
#161621 - 10/18/08 10:18 PM Re: PAIN---T
00grandprixgt Offline
bad pics but i tried ,once agin with my crap butt cell so theyre small

like the paint missin gon bumper :X

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
#161622 - 10/19/08 12:14 AM Re: PAIN---T
98greenGT Offline
Not much I can help you with from those pics. Also buying a buffer and some polish isn't going to solve your problems automatically. You really need to learn how to use it and take it a little at a time otherwise you will ruin your paint permanently.

Stock, LineX, 212K
#161623 - 10/19/08 12:37 PM Re: PAIN---T
northtnguy Offline
Thanks for the compliments.

I started out by washing my car then using Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay kit. After I finished claying, I went over the entire car with quick detailer to make sure all the remnants of clay were off the car. (Some will say to wash the car again, but if you did it right the first time, no need to wash)

I have the Meguiar's G-100 DA polisher (same thing as the Porter/Cable DA polisher). I used Meguiar's M80 Speed Glaze with a medium cut pad to get rid of the swirls and other defects in the paint. This is what really makes your car stand out by taking your time and using a LOT of 'passion'. You only want to work on a section about 12"x12" and working in every direction (left to right, up and down, diagonally). The polish has fine abrasives in it, so you want to work it enough for it to break down and do it's job. Over lap by about 50% and do the entire car. This is something you do NOT want to rush. You don't want to end up with the product dry. It should still be wet when you wipe it off! Again, take your time and check your results as you go. You also don't want to use a lot of product ... a little goes a long way ... and don't over saturate your pad with the wax. This is what really helps your paint. You're replacing all the oils that revive your paint.

When I was through with waxing, I went over the car again with Meguiar's quick detailer.

Next, it was time to actually start waxing the car. I used 2 coats of Meguiar's NXT2 wax, both applied with the G-100 using light pressure and about 2 hours between each coat. The end result is what you see in the pictures!

Tbat and Rook saw my car 4 months after it was waxed and I think they can vouch that my car was still swirl free. laugh

This link will give you a little more detail on how I did it: MOL

Quote:
Originally posted by 98greenGT:
Swirl marks are usually only visible in direct sunlight so I'm pretty sure that's what they are. My car's covered in them lol so I'll try and get you a picture before I make them go away. wink

northtnguy- Exactly which Meguiar's products did you use? Car looks absolutely amazing by the way.
#161624 - 10/19/08 12:43 PM Re: PAIN---T
northtnguy Offline
I might add ... you WILL NOT get the same results by using one of those cheap ($10-$15) polishers that you can find at WalMart, AutoZone, etc. They just don't have enough power to do the job you want to accomplish!
#161625 - 10/19/08 01:16 PM Re: PAIN---T
northtnguy Offline
I'd suggest holding off the buying the buffer. Unless you've used one quite a bit, you'll do more harm then good ... and you sure don't want to harm the paint on your car. If you do decide to go ahead and get the buffer, the next step would be to go to a junk yard and buy a hood from them. There's nothing like practicing on something that didn't cost you what a complete paint job would!

The best thing to do is to use the least aggresive method first, then go from there. Yeah, it takes longer, but the results are much more rewarding.

Don

Quote:
Originally posted by 00grandprixgt:
OMG NORTH im in love with your car JAW DROPPING lol

98greengt: please do id appeciate it im goin to buy a buffer asap and some 3m machining polish...i just waxed my car and i will take pics of it tommarow