Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162326 - 01/11/09 10:46 PM My co worker.
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Well I took off the whole week off new years eve because my mom had eye surgery on the 30 of december and then the next day I went to New York for new years eve for the ball drop so thats why I took the whole week off.

My co worker took of the whole last week and I know he wasn't sick because he wrote a note last monday saying he was sick then left work only being here for 30 minutes. My thing is if your sick you mine as well stayed home(I work overnight and we come in sunday night which is monday to the overnight people).

So he never called all last week until friday the manager is kinda hesistant on firing him but my supervisor wants him fired, and then he doesn't like to be around a whole lot of people and he does a whole lot of other weird crap that I don't want to get into.

So should he be fired?

I think he should because he only called one day last week despite he was gone all last week and he doesn't like to be around people plus Im tired of putting up with his crap.
#162327 - 01/11/09 10:53 PM Re: My co worker.
20gtp02 Offline
"You're Fired!"~Trump

#162328 - 01/12/09 12:18 AM Re: My co worker.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
If someone did that, yes, I would fire him.
#162329 - 01/12/09 12:49 AM Re: My co worker.
ShavedGPGT Offline
Loc: TN
take into your own hands, follow him to the bathroom and smack him. haha. nah. but yeah deff fired. well atleast thats what happened to me. lol

De-ribbed front and back bumpers, shaved trunk lock, De-door ding protectors. ZZP 2.5 DP, FWI, ZZP PCM, 18" 5spokes, and soon to come custom black metallic paint. and rotors and shocks and struts.
http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq300/shavedGPGT/
#162330 - 01/12/09 01:02 AM Re: My co worker.
Dre da GP man Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ShavedGPGT:
take into your own hands, follow him to the bathroom and smack him. haha. nah. but yeah deff fired. well atleast thats what happened to me. lol
Oh believe me, I want to smack him but I need this job because the money is very good.
#162331 - 01/12/09 02:36 AM Re: My co worker.
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Did the note saying he was sick say he would be out that long? Because if it did, regardless of whether you think he was sick or not, you can't really fire him. If he didn't say he would be gone all week, then he just didn't show up for work, and it should be considered a resignation. (i.e. he's gone, whether he likes it or not)

And you can't fire him because he doesn't like being around people...
#162332 - 01/12/09 02:49 AM Re: My co worker.
Dre da GP man Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
Did the note saying he was sick say he would be out that long? Because if it did, regardless of whether you think he was sick or not, you can't really fire him. If he didn't say he would be gone all week, then he just didn't show up for work, and it should be considered a resignation. (i.e. he's gone, whether he likes it or not)

Wow can't believe you just said that.
You must did not pay attention to what I said.
:rolleyes:

The job that we do is get contracts from the government and everyday people comes to our place from the government offices in Washington, DC and sometimes from capital hill. We deal with customers on a daily basis and my co worker always hides from people and he always just vanish all of a sudden. So ace you mean to tell me if a person had done this, your would keep him.............I think not.

And he left a note saying he was sick on a monday but did not come back until today and he did not call once. He did not indicate on the note that he was going to be sick all week, once again Ace would you keep a person that is constantly doing these for the last year....................I think not.
#162333 - 01/12/09 08:13 AM Re: My co worker.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Firing people has gotten much more trickier then in the past. You can than wrongful termination lawsuits for that. If the note said "I'm sick I won't be in all week not much you can do but ask for a doctors note to confirm the illness on return. If the note only said I went home I'm sick and that's it no follow on phone calls the rest of the week that could be grounds for firing as abandonment. Toys R Us has a policy no call no show after three days is grounds for dismissal. As for not liking to be around people some one needs to keep a running tally of his "on the job dereliction" to show he's avoiding doing the work. But now you walk a fine line because is he doing the behind the scenes work and leaving the palm pressing to others it's totally upto the company to make that call.
#162334 - 01/12/09 08:26 AM Re: My co worker.
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Dre da GP man:
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
[b] Did the note saying he was sick say he would be out that long? Because if it did, regardless of whether you think he was sick or not, you can't really fire him. If he didn't say he would be gone all week, then he just didn't show up for work, and it should be considered a resignation. (i.e. he's gone, whether he likes it or not)

Wow can't believe you just said that.
You must did not pay attention to what I said.
:rolleyes:

The job that we do is get contracts from the government and everyday people comes to our place from the government offices in Washington, DC and sometimes from capital hill. We deal with customers on a daily basis and my co worker always hides from people and he always just vanish all of a sudden. So ace you mean to tell me if a person had done this, your would keep him.............I think not.

And he left a note saying he was sick on a monday but did not come back until today and he did not call once. He did not indicate on the note that he was going to be sick all week, once again Ace would you keep a person that is constantly doing these for the last year....................I think not. [/b]
No where did you say that his not liking to be around people was affecting his job performance. Go back and re-read, because you left that out.

Quote:
So he never called all last week until friday the manager is kinda hesistant on firing him but my supervisor wants him fired, and then he doesn't like to be around a whole lot of people and he does a whole lot of other weird crap that I don't want to get into.

So should he be fired?

I think he should because he only called one day last week despite he was gone all last week and he doesn't like to be around people plus Im tired of putting up with his crap.
Anyway, if his note didn't say that he would be out all week, then he needs to be fired, like I said.

And I still stand by you can't fire him simply because he doesn't like being around people. However, not performing his job IS grounds for dismissal.

Up until recently I ran my own restaurant, so I know a little about managing people.
#162335 - 01/12/09 10:24 AM Re: My co worker.
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
You don't need to explain anything, employment is at will. You can be fired at any time for any reason. Unless you can prove you were wrongfully terminated (very hard to obtain evidence of this...)
#162336 - 01/12/09 10:45 AM Re: My co worker.
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
You don't need to explain anything, employment is at will. You can be fired at any time for any reason. Unless you can prove you were wrongfully terminated (very hard to obtain evidence of this...)
x2...

If it is a "right to work" state, then they can fire at any time for any reason. Also, a week of "no call, no show" ...Yeah I would have fired him myself too...

Everywhere I have EVER worked you call in every day that you are sick, not just a note on Monday and say I'm sick and then not show up until the next week after not being herd from...
#162337 - 01/12/09 05:52 PM Re: My co worker.
Acefighter Offline
Exactly. Unless you are in a freakin' coma, there's no reason you can't let them know you won't be in.

And if he was in a coma, then make him bring a doctors note. lol
#162338 - 01/12/09 10:37 PM Re: My co worker.
Dre da GP man Offline
Well he was fired today because he did not call in, and apparently he also was stealing time because he would be out and he would still put 8 hours down but he was not here and he did not have no vacation/sick hours because he calls out about 3-4 times a month.
#162339 - 01/12/09 11:53 PM Re: My co worker.
Acefighter Offline
Hope they find someone better to give you a hand.