Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162535 - 12/11/07 03:18 PM Brake question for a truck
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I posted a long time ago about my wife's truck acting up. I've finally realized it's "Brake Grab" that is the culprit.

From reading online, it seems there are a few possible causes:

1. parking brake not disengaging
2. worn brake pads/rotors
3. calipers need to be rebuilt

The first two are easy enough. Her brakes are starting to squeak anyway, so I know it's time for new ones. Problem is, the rear are drum brakes and I've never done them before. How hard are they compared to disc brakes?

Couple other questions:
1. How do I determine if the calipers need to be rebuilt?
2. How do you rebuild calipers? Would I be better off just buying reman ones?

It's probably too hard to convert it to 4 wheel disc brakes right?
#162536 - 12/11/07 03:40 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Its a PITA to convert over to 4 wheel disc. I always just buy reman calipers when they go, much easier and not the expencive really. To me sounds like Calipers are about shot.

Drum breaks are not hard, just a PITA to do. Make sure you have drum break tools (pick up at any autozone) and you can find step by step guides on google or something, or in a service manual if you have one.

Remember to get the rotors and drums turned before putting on new pads.
#162537 - 12/11/07 03:59 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
If you decide to replace the calipers, consider replacing the front brake hoses as well, since they can collapse internally, and contribute to "brake grab".
#162538 - 12/11/07 04:07 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
Richard Candelario Offline
x2, sorta, with Mike. I've only ever done drums with a small Standard screwdriver and 2 good fine-point needlenose pliers. Doin them brakes really are a PITA that have a tendency to make the person workin on them feel like a 'tard.

I wouldnt say it's HARD to convert to 4-wheel disc, but I'm sure it aint easy.

How to determine if the clamps need to be rebuilt? My guess is really odd brake pad wear.

How are clamps rebuilt? This tends ot be a lil tricky. Previous experience on rebuilding/machining engines would come in handy here.
1. Remove clamp COMPLETELY from vehicle
2. Strip the caliper of everything.
3. Rehone the brake cylinder
4. Do something to the piston. I dont know what it takes to "rebuild" the brake piston, but you need to do something to it.
5. Install piston boot and piston
6. Install bleeder valve
7. Reconnect brake line
8. Bleed system
9. Swear to whoever you pray to that you never hafta do that again.

Admittedly, I may very well be forgetting a step or few. It's not that hard of a job to do, but it can be rather intense. These are, after all, the items that are slowing your tires down that bring your vehicle to a stop.

Reman is less tedious, but still require bleeding.

Hope this helps ya make your decision.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#162539 - 12/11/07 04:30 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Here's a write-up on rear drum brakes: Rear Brakes
#162540 - 12/11/07 04:40 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Richard, I've done Drum breaks like that too. One day I got those handy tools that look like nothing more then bent metal, and made a world of a diffrence!

Yes reman calipers require bleeding. Its worth just buying reman calipers and bring your old ones down so you dont have a core charge.
#162541 - 12/11/07 04:40 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
UMfan Offline
Thanks. Doesn't look TOO hard.

I'll probably wait until spring though. I don't feel like sitting in my cold garage doing this.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to pay a brake shop to do this and be done with it...but I think I'd like to do it myself to replace the brake lines too. I'll probably cost it out to see how much more it would be to have someone else do it.
#162542 - 12/11/07 04:45 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
ifitwasnt4u Offline
I dont know if you have these out that way, but NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER goto "Just Breaks"
#162543 - 12/11/07 05:10 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
To swap the rears from drum to disc requires you to open up the differential and pull the axles. Quite common swap but very intensive.
#162544 - 12/11/07 05:21 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
When I was a mechanic so long ago, we would have races to see who could disassemble and reassemble with new parts rear drum brakes...I got pretty good if I must say and knowing what rusts (the pins) and what springs have the most tension was king.

I used to be able to disaasemble a cavalier rear drum in less than 20 seconds flat, putting it back together around 30-45 depending on how jumpy I was at the time (trying too hard, lol)

just a memory post, don't mind me smile
#162545 - 12/11/07 07:32 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chunkee:
When I was a mechanic so long ago, we would have races to see who could disassemble and reassemble with new parts rear drum brakes...I got pretty good if I must say and knowing what rusts (the pins) and what springs have the most tension was king.

I used to be able to disaasemble a cavalier rear drum in less than 20 seconds flat, putting it back together around 30-45 depending on how jumpy I was at the time (trying too hard, lol)

just a memory post, don't mind me smile
Want to do mine?

You could make a five minute job out of it.
#162546 - 12/11/07 10:03 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
wow, disassembly used to take 5 MINUTES and reassembly like 5 hours. PER SIDE. I am not worthy. lol

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#162547 - 12/11/07 10:52 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
Blackarrow98GP Offline
I once bailed out a friend with a '70 Nova; he decided to take apart his front drum brakes, wheel cylinders and all, with absolutely no clue of how to put it all back together, or bleed the brakes. Parts were scattered all over the floor... crazy lol
#162548 - 12/11/07 10:54 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
and you just happened to have all the necessary parts and tools in your accessory belt that was stashed in the trunk, huh? just givin ya hard time, man, nothing personal intended.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#162549 - 12/11/07 11:06 PM Re: Brake question for a truck
Blackarrow98GP Offline
No, but I happened to have a shop manual for the car that he should've had, before getting in over his head. He had all the parts, but didn't want to admit that he needed some help, when I asked him the day before. I wanted to see how he planned on bleeding the brakes by himself... wink