Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162601 - 04/04/08 08:17 AM Another reason not to move back to CA
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
#162602 - 04/04/08 09:53 AM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
20gtp02 Offline
Wow, that would definitely ruin my night!

#162603 - 04/04/08 10:09 AM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I can't see how those will hold up in court if the drivers prove they weren't street racing.

A cop can't stop me at the grocery store and ticket me for engine modifications and street racing if I wasn't racing.
#162604 - 04/04/08 11:44 AM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
20gtp02 Offline
It does make sense that the one quote says "If you are going to street race, why modify the engine to produce more power" but only to the degree that modifying creates more power. As long as you don't use it illegally, then your fine. And it could be used for the track. That is just a crappy night for all those attending.

#162605 - 04/04/08 02:48 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
It's a streetable drag car or autocrosser. Deal with it.

CA is and always will be full of idiots in the government. It's a waste hole that can sink into the ocean for all I care.
#162606 - 04/04/08 03:36 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
thats so much BS i cant even begin to say.gerrrrr

we have a meet liek that everyweekend in the summer on tellegraph and joy road here in michigan
its fun to check out cars hang with friends and just have a nice safe place to meet people and hnag out

when people want to race they go about 3 or 4 miles away to a designated spot and hit it off........ some people race....some just show off.....some even go to get away from their girl/boy friend.....that should not be against the law

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#162607 - 04/04/08 04:04 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
RooK Offline
My own town is starting a weekly car event on main street during the summer months. Here, we promote cars and modifications. In CA they harass and fine you for it.
#162608 - 04/04/08 07:34 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
A cop can't stop me at the grocery store and ticket me for engine modifications and street racing if I wasn't racing.
That's not entirely true. Some places due make modifications illegal, because they think you are only going to use them for street racing.

I don't understand how they are allowed to do that, though. But they are.

The way I see it, if they want to fight street racing, they need to build more tracks...lol
#162609 - 04/04/08 08:08 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
HercMan(Rob) Offline
"Across the state, gas tax funds are regularly used to fund similar crackdowns that generate big revenue. In 2004, the California Highway Patrol issued a total of 101,553 "modified car" citations worth $10.5 million according to CHP data obtained by TheNewspaper."

This just blows my mind right here.

So the way I read it The police should raid all the "organized/sanctioned/ or what ever you'd like to call it" car shows and start ticketing all the "modified" cars with California tags.

Ohh one more thing for you those of us with CAI/open cone are guilty according to CA law.
#162610 - 04/04/08 08:16 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
All the more reason to stay a sleeper. devilwink
#162611 - 04/04/08 09:42 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
RooK Offline
Pfft, my car is a walking violation, even in my own state. I really need to get that catalytic converter put back on when I get my exhaust done... 3" magnaflow ftw!
#162612 - 04/05/08 12:41 AM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
All aftermarket parts you put on your car in CA must have a 50 state CARB EO sticker that you must have displayed on your car. That is where they get you. I'm sure you guys have bought parts that came with a sticker that you threw away. The paperwork violations were probably current insurance or current smog inspection. If I remember correctly, when I lived there, if you had a modified vehicle, you had to smog every two years instead of three for a stocker.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#162613 - 04/05/08 01:14 AM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
ya here in milwaukee we chill and cruise on HWY 100 every weekend....idk how many ppl have heard of it but its pretty popular.....but ne ways the cops r cracking down like crazy here....they arent as anal as CA is but they are getting there...i dont understand...if the city would let us organize something to just chill and talk about stuff there wouldnt be a problem...i look at it this way...what would they rather have us doing...getting into all sorts of other trouble or just cruising a long 6 mile road and not harming ne one?? thats how i look at our situation here....

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#162614 - 04/05/08 09:08 AM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
HercMan(Rob) Offline
72chev,

Ca doesn't do separate stickers for emissions. You must provide proof of passing before you can get your registration renewed. Parts that are CARB have the numbers stamped into them like a serial number. The big one is "suspected stolen" parts. That part has gotten so outahand that you are no longer innocent until proven guilty. You have to PROVE you legally purchased those aftermarket parts.
#162615 - 04/07/08 05:52 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Can anyone provide a link showing what is defined as "modified"?

I can understand not having a cat, but what about mods that still pass CA emissions i.e., CAI, flowmasters, Aeroforce gauge, turbo, body kit, diesel mods, etc? What about if it is a factory CAI?

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#162616 - 04/07/08 07:57 PM Re: Another reason not to move back to CA
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Tasty basically anypart not CARB approved or could be considered for "racing" is technically not allowed and or upto the opinion of the officer. If it was available from the factory no issues. The biggest thing is if you don't have reciepts on hand they assume the aftermarket parts are "stolen" and can confiscate your car costing you tow/storage until you "prove" your innocence.

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exhaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp
Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the California Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements