Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16322 - 08/25/07 03:01 PM Re: colder plugs
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Pacesetters arent all that bad. Any header for these cars suck. For the price, you cant beat pacesetters. TOGS leak too. Its just a fact of life that if you want your headers to work, get them welded.

Mine dont leak.
How can you go say "TOGs leak" and then in the same post say "Mine don't leak" (pacesetters) ?
The only way to have a decent headers leak is to do a crappy job installing them. This may not apply to pacesetters, since theres a high chance of leaking even when installed right.
For TOGs and similarly jointed headers, if you don't have the donut gasket in good condition and perfectly centered before you tighten the joins, they will leak there. Re-center and its fine.
Other causes of leaks on any header is lack of surface prep on the flat-gasket joints, or using crap gaskets. Personally I wouldn't double stack gaskets, either. Felpro FTW.

Most people with S&S, TOGs, and SLP headers flat out do not have leak problems. You can't say oh well, they all leak and ignore the fact that pacesetters leak many times more than any other header. Ordonez is lucky to not have leaks on his set.
#16323 - 08/25/07 03:57 PM Re: colder plugs
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
S&S have 1 5/8" primaries... same as SLP and TOGs. Pacesetters and TOG Xtremes are the only headers for Grand Prixs with 1 3/4" primaries. That's why some people complain about a loss in torque with Pacesetters... primaries are too big for most everyday applications.

1 5/8" primaries will suffice for probably 80-90% of 3800 motors.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#16324 - 08/25/07 04:14 PM Re: colder plugs
Richard Candelario Offline
question on sparks: my stock NA will benefit from Autolite Iridium or not? I just saw Bosch and Autolite ads in Hot Rod Mag, and wanted some feedback before I go and buy some expensive junk for the GP.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#16325 - 08/26/07 04:43 PM Re: colder plugs
bump. Answer, please?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#16326 - 08/26/07 05:21 PM Re: colder plugs
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
[b] Pacesetters arent all that bad. Any header for these cars suck. For the price, you cant beat pacesetters. TOGS leak too. Its just a fact of life that if you want your headers to work, get them welded.

Mine dont leak.
How can you go say "TOGs leak" and then in the same post say "Mine don't leak" (pacesetters) ?
The only way to have a decent headers leak is to do a crappy job installing them. This may not apply to pacesetters, since theres a high chance of leaking even when installed right.
For TOGs and similarly jointed headers, if you don't have the donut gasket in good condition and perfectly centered before you tighten the joins, they will leak there. Re-center and its fine.
Other causes of leaks on any header is lack of surface prep on the flat-gasket joints, or using crap gaskets. Personally I wouldn't double stack gaskets, either. Felpro FTW.

Most people with S&S, TOGs, and SLP headers flat out do not have leak problems. You can't say oh well, they all leak and ignore the fact that pacesetters leak many times more than any other header. Ordonez is lucky to not have leaks on his set. [/b]
The reason i said that mine dont leak is because they are welded, which is why i said, "if you want your headers to work, get them welded"

Pacesetters dont leak at the donut gasket, they leak at the slip joint at the y-collector.
#16327 - 08/26/07 05:25 PM Re: colder plugs
ordonez1307 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
question on sparks: my stock NA will benefit from Autolite Iridium or not? I just saw Bosch and Autolite ads in Hot Rod Mag, and wanted some feedback before I go and buy some expensive junk for the GP.
honestly, i would just go with some 606's or 605's. dont waste your money on the expensive ones
#16328 - 08/26/07 05:52 PM Re: colder plugs
awesome. Thanks, Corey. Sure appreciate the advice.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#16329 - 08/26/07 11:56 PM Re: colder plugs
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy1307:
S&S have 1 5/8" primaries... same as SLP and TOGs. Pacesetters and TOG Xtremes are the only headers for Grand Prixs with 1 3/4" primaries. That's why some people complain about a loss in torque with Pacesetters... primaries are too big for most everyday applications.

1 5/8" primaries will suffice for probably 80-90% of 3800 motors.
You're right except the S&S headers have 1 1/2" primaries.Chico(pops)
#16330 - 08/27/07 02:28 PM Re: colder plugs
mpulse Offline
Loc: Las Vegas
as far as the pasesetters, i was told by zzp that they machine them before they go out.
and they dont have any problems with them leaking

3.8 GTP, 3" Exhaust, Dual 40 series Flowmasters, Short ram intake, 3.2 Pully, Ported ZZ Supercharger, TB spacer, TB removed mesh, Pacesetter headers, 3" DP, SS Intercooler, Ported Intake manifold, Voltage booster, ZZ PCM, KYB GR2's
#16331 - 08/27/07 03:03 PM Re: colder plugs
ordonez1307 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by mpulse:
as far as the pasesetters, i was told by zzp that they machine them before they go out.
and they dont have any problems with them leaking
lol. imagine that. a company that sells the product says its ok.

You should believe them.
#16332 - 08/27/07 09:32 PM Re: colder plugs
drummerboy1307 Offline
LOL ordonez... "you should believe them" lol

Yeah, the hundreds of customers with leaky Pacesetters says otherwise. Yes, even the ZZP "fixed" ones. I've heard of a few successful leak-free installs right off the bat, but most have to fight to get them sealed up.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#16333 - 08/27/07 09:39 PM Re: colder plugs
ordonez1307 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy1307:
LOL ordonez... "you should believe them" lol

Yeah, the hundreds of customers with leaky Pacesetters says otherwise. Yes, even the ZZP "fixed" ones. I've heard of a few successful leak-free installs right off the bat, but most have to fight to get them sealed up.
ZZP knows all. all their products are perfect.
#16334 - 08/27/07 09:47 PM Re: colder plugs
drummerboy1307 Offline
yes of course... intense too... that LSD is bulletproof

'97 SE with alot of mods
#16335 - 08/27/07 09:48 PM Re: colder plugs
ordonez1307 Offline
their 1st gen pcms are good too.
#16336 - 08/28/07 01:33 PM Re: colder plugs
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by Digitallyphoenix:
iridiums and platinum plugs are not good in our SC engines. the main issue that makes them bad is what makes them good in NA engines. the electrode tips are smaller then normal. in NA engines this makes the spark more compact and reduces fouling and formation of deposits. but in a boosted motor, the small electrode heats up much faster and becomes a source of pre ignition. also the materail is said to not hold up to the combustion temps.

if platinum plugs are bad, then why would GM put them in as factory OEM equipment?
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >