Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163171 - 01/07/06 11:23 AM Re: Is this a good price?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:
I record at 2.5Gb per hour.
I stand corrected. You are right.

I was thinking of my football recordings which are 7GB (3.5 to 4 hours long).
#163172 - 01/08/06 01:34 PM Re: Is this a good price?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
What would I need to have TV on my computer?
I am getting my I-net through my cable line.
Is it just software, or is it a whole complicated hardware/software install?

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#163173 - 01/08/06 01:57 PM Re: Is this a good price?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I don't remember how Bryant's is set up, but I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006FS...6&s=pc&v=glance

It plugs into a PCI slot on your motherboard and takes about 10 minutes to install (if that). I did a lot of research and this model seems to have the best overall reviews and satisfaction from users for an analog tuner.

However, you will probably want at least 1GB of RAM and lots of hard drive space, so that might add to the cost.

That will allow you to watch TV on your PC, and record what you are watching to your hard drive.

There are also models with two tuners so you can watch one thing, and record something on another channel.

Then, there are digital tuners which will record digital signals in high quality, but not analog... so you need to plan out what you want. Most decent storebought media centers have a ditigal tuner and an analog tuner so you can record everything, and still have the benefit of two tuners.

As for your question about needing anything else... aside from the RAM and the hard drive space you don't NEED anything else. The tuner comes with software that helps you set the channels, program when/where to record, edit your recordings (remove commercials), etc. However, if you are like me and want to record your pay per view events, you need another cable box from your cable provider. I think Comcast charges me $10 a month for a 2nd box.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2