Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163328 - 10/28/03 11:46 AM American Autobahn
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
This is serious, yet funny. I like the reasons they give that we should have an autobahn. It's safer, right?

http://www.petitiononline.com/autobahn/petition.html

I'd love to have a road with no speed limit. Will it ever happen? I'll put up $50,000 that says it won't.

-Andrew
#163329 - 10/28/03 06:30 PM Re: American Autobahn
kwiksilver Offline
Loc: Annapolis, MD
We had one already and its gone more or less. When the feds gave control to the states to control their own speedlimits, Montana had none on their interstaets. They do now but it's still fast by east coast standards.

96 Ebony Satin nitrous powered SHO
(sold)
#163330 - 11/03/03 02:42 PM Re: American Autobahn
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
I agree. We should have high speed highways. I think that cars would need a special inspection every six months to certify them as high speed safe. You wouldn't want to drive next to some guy in a shitbox with no brakes. The new cars today are much safer than they were 20 years ago and are able to drive at higher speeds with more control than ever before. I would love to drive with the cruise set at 100. The two problems I can see are increased gas consumption and the airline industry. If you can drive to Florida from NY at 100+mph, then less people would fly, and you know how the Gov't feels about the airline industry. NY to FL in 14 hours, not 24. Cool. eek

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#163331 - 11/03/03 05:00 PM Re: American Autobahn
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
If we could travel that fast I'd never take another plane again! Unless of course it was oversees.
#163332 - 11/03/03 06:28 PM Re: American Autobahn
Javier Offline
Loc: Pasadena, TX
i would love it if we could. About three months ago i was out in the country and i was testing my car to see what my top speed was. I reached 127 before i had to slam on by brakes, state police was coming straight at me. He got me doing 115. He took me to see the judge right then and there. She gave me two options, pay 420 bucks for spend 8 days in jail. I gladly paid the money. I have that ticket dispalyed on the wall in my room. banghead
#163333 - 11/05/03 11:13 AM Re: American Autobahn
PORKCHOP Offline
Loc: MALTA, N.Y.
We'll never see it here 'cause we won't play by the rules of high speed driving. On the autobahn you drive in the right lane ONLY and pass ONLY in the left. They don't EAT or have there morning LATEE, read there paper, use there phone and all that good stuff we americans love to do. Two hands on the wheel and concentration, never happen here. P'CHOP cool
#163334 - 11/28/03 06:08 PM Re: American Autobahn
S8ER95Z Offline
Loc: Quad Cities
Quote:
Originally posted by Javier:
i would love it if we could. About three months ago i was out in the country and i was testing my car to see what my top speed was. I reached 127 before i had to slam on by brakes, state police was coming straight at me. He got me doing 115. He took me to see the judge right then and there. She gave me two options, pay 420 bucks for spend 8 days in jail. I gladly paid the money. I have that ticket dispalyed on the wall in my room. banghead
WHOA!! Nightmares from that Im sure. Ive hit 170mph and it was a short lived sprint.. Shutting down right after and getting on the brakes. Otherwise I love locking cruise in the triple digits and humming along. Of course Im on the roads later than most 3am ~ 5am..usually empty not a car in sight... and rarely patrolled. I couldnt imagine getting popped for those speeds!
Decked/Ported Heads, Vigilante Stall, Shift kit, manual valvebody, 3:42 Auburn, 3inch catback, !CAT, !AIR, !EGR, 1LE A/C Delete, Series 80 Flowmaster, TB Bypass, Descreened MAF, !Fog, 1LE grills
#163335 - 11/28/03 06:12 PM Re: American Autobahn
S8ER95Z Offline
Loc: Quad Cities
The problem here is most americans cant handle driving safetly at the current speeds. The number of times Ive been cut off, swerved at, etc Just because the other person didnt care about themselves let alone my safety. eek Imagine a lane hogger tryin to cut you off in triple digits instead of 60mph. frown It would be cool though. Seeing High power cars, cruising along in the "fast" lane. Another problem is.. most people automatically associate "speed" with "wreckless". Not true.. but thats the opinion of a lot of people. You can be in control and safely go fast. Of course you can also be doing the speed limit and driving wreckless. I just dont trust people in this country (at least around me) to handle themselves appropriately in an Autobahn like arena. Wish I could. It would be a blast! cheers
Decked/Ported Heads, Vigilante Stall, Shift kit, manual valvebody, 3:42 Auburn, 3inch catback, !CAT, !AIR, !EGR, 1LE A/C Delete, Series 80 Flowmaster, TB Bypass, Descreened MAF, !Fog, 1LE grills
#163336 - 11/29/03 08:44 PM Re: American Autobahn
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
People that speed aren't the problem. They keep traffic flowing right along. It's the 50 mph drivers in the 65 mph zones that cause the accidents. The slow movers are the most dangerous drivers on the road. Let the troopers ticket those bastards and leave us alone.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#163337 - 12/02/03 02:03 PM Re: American Autobahn
vortec4200 Offline
Loc: Sterling Heights, MI
It's also the people who weave in and out of traffic. But, if the slow traffic would just stay to the right, I would agree that weaving wouldn't be necessary.
#163338 - 12/17/03 07:08 PM Re: American Autobahn
Paul Offline
Loc: Island Co. WA, USA
I don't know who said it first, but I've always like the saying...

Speed doesn't kill - speed differential does!

IOW, if the speed limit is 60 and 99.9% of traffic is moving along at 75, the drivers doin' 60 are the unsafe ones!