Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163719 - 05/11/09 08:58 AM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
I don't even remember seeing the old one... I think you're remembering the insert, not the pcv.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#163720 - 05/11/09 09:55 AM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
Richard Candelario Offline
That's what I remembered hearing about the insert and the PCV tube.

Last night, after taking Colleen to the Houston Zoo, to Tengus' house, to John's house, to Lufkin, to Wal-Mart, my wife reported throwing a code when leaving Wal-Mart. At 10 PM. After running ALL DAY.

Thanks, T-Bat. I hope to meet up with you as well.

Arc, Ace: Yeah wrenching next time is OFF-LIMITS. BSing only next time.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#163721 - 05/11/09 11:16 AM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Do you know what the code is yet?

Did you guys put the old Tstat in also, or did you just leave it be? Consider throwing a 180 in instead of the stock 190?

Or I guess we could have drilled the stocker.
#163722 - 05/11/09 04:35 PM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
no idea about the code. I'll try to get that after work today.

I did, indeed, put the old t-stat in, that's why I'm running sub-210*. I do have a 180* hanging around, I might have Bobby install that for me tomorrow.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#163723 - 05/11/09 06:25 PM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I drilled my 180 when I installed mine and my car runs sub 210 even sitting in traffic. Once in a while during cold weather I get the "slow warm up" code but it usually rests itself in day. If I get a 3800 Bonne it will get the same treatment.

btw Rick, thanks for calling and wishing Trish a Happy Mothers Day.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#163724 - 05/11/09 06:35 PM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by SlickGTP:
I don't even remember seeing the old one... I think you're remembering the insert, not the pcv.
From when I talked to Rick on the phone, I thought that was the problem. confused
#163725 - 05/11/09 09:03 PM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
btw Rick, thanks for calling and wishing Trish a Happy Mothers Day.
Was wondering if she got it or not. Yall are VERY welcome.

Got AutoZone to scan the code for me, which gave the car 20-ish minutes of city driving. She stayed down at or about 190*. She still will be getting flushed tomorrow. *EDIT: The codes were 2 instances of P0171: Bank 1 Too Lean.

When talking with John about this, he thinks that either the HV3 is taking in too much air for the injectors to keep up, causing lean; or all that oil flying by the O2 fouled it, causing bad readings, causing lean, causing overheat. I tend to think the latter.

Which brings up an interesting question: if my O2 is fouled, should I start thinking about a cat?*

Anyone hear of Snoopy/Bobby Dean on CGP from around here? He has(?)/had the fastest GP in TX. He also owns his own repair shop here in Lufkin. He'll be doing the flush. He also STRONGLY recommends using Dex-Cool.

Grr. I hate conflicting experiences/recommendations. Choose either and I suddenly get accused of not listening to advice and thusly refused any further assistance by one party or another. Grr.

*EDIT: Just thought of it: shouldnt parts of this thread be in 97-03?*

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#163726 - 05/12/09 06:25 AM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
ThunderBat Offline
Opinions are like exhaust pipes...everybody has at least one.
To me the deciding factor against Dex-Cool was the fact that it doesnt lubricate water pump bearings as well as green stuff, plus it has a long history of not playing well with plastic parts (like we aint got enough of those)

There are those who swear by it since it is organic in nature and it does last a very long time...BUT as its water base evaporates away it will leave a brown sludge like residue behind. This is compounded by added regular tap water to the cooling system. Dex works much better with distilled, deionized water, but how many of us keep that around for just such occasions.

For me personally Dex-Cool has more cons than pros...and thats my exhaust pipe and I'm stickin to it. (no matter how many times I've changed tips)

#163727 - 05/12/09 09:55 AM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
LOL! Thanks. I decided to stick with Dex-Cool.

After speaking to Bobby, he said to look at vacuum leaks first. I already know where one of those are. On the canister-looking thing on the No 1 bank of the fuel rail. Then look at O2, then AFRs.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#163728 - 05/12/09 10:25 AM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
My advice... don't use dexcool.
#163729 - 05/12/09 11:33 AM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
Arcxnus Offline
Do easy and cheap first, then work your way up so you don't throw all your money away on one big thing and then have the problem be something insignificant.

Why would you need a cat? All the cool people go catless. laugh

Internet says lolMAF - http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

Who knows, with all the oil and coolant and smoke Colleen was throwing around. Might wanna just get in there with some electronics cleaner and clean all your sensors, maybe replace the O2.

Searching p0171 on here comes up with a plethora of stuff, everything from fuel pump to injectors. Lol, you have the work cut out for you. D: I wonder if you messed up an injector while you were over there trying to kill yourself with that knife.

ADMITTANCE OF YOUR PROBLEMS IS THE FIRST STEP TO RECOVERY~

Edit: What was that gasket we didn't put back ? http://www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005473#000000
#163730 - 05/12/09 08:17 PM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
SlickGTP Offline
It was a little gasket that goes on a cover bolted to the LIM. We didn't take it off so it's still good. I never replaced it on mine either.

Modders Anonymous: "Hi, My name is John and I'm a modder... I just bought ____ for my car and can't help myself."

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#163731 - 05/12/09 09:53 PM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
I'm gonna get a part number from Chevy here in a few days on that elbow from the canister-looking thing on the fuel rail to the vacuum modulator that was on my passenger dogbone. Froman had noticed that thing was torn, I saw it was a vacuum line, and John told me that vacuum leaks can cause lean conditions. Guess what's getting fixed first?

Following the vacuum line will be the O2, fuel filter (which I doubt is the issue at all), then the 3" d/p w/cat & O2 bung (silence about the aft O2 delete, I dont wanna hear it.).

Looks like I need to go get help from MA as well. My name is Rick, and I am a modder. I just bought an HV3 for my car, and couldnt help but make more work for myself. Please, forgive me!!! lol!

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#163732 - 05/12/09 11:47 PM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
ThunderBat Offline
*T-Bat burst into the room of Modders Anonymous*

"Screw the psycho-therapy crap! I am a modder and bloody proud of it! The racing world is built from people like me (with bigger wallets)...advancing technology and innovation all came from modders like me! More efficency, more performance, better automotive ANYTHING is the mother of our inventions."

"Stand and be counted as a higher level of automotive owner who goes against the grain of the countless throngs that tread mindlessly into dealership service departments across this land like cattle bound for slaughter! Dare to say aloud you know more than the service writer with his name labeled blue workshirt. Dare to take the intellectual fop who claims we have an illness and toss him beneath the spinning slicks of a 3000hp Top Fueler. We are the asphalt roaming equivalents of the bold pioneers of the space program. We go faster and become more efficent simply because we have the desire to explore the limits of the unknown!"

"In the great spirit the forged this nation...ask not what a modder can do for you, but thank them for the fact that you still arent riding horses!"

Modders unite!...and revel in the true knowledge than we CAN make our cars better...no matter what the nay-sayers claim!"

(did I overdo that a bit?) lol

#163733 - 05/13/09 09:04 AM Re: Houston Gathering? 56k heart attack...
SlickGTP Offline
HEAR HEAR!!!! *jumps up and embraces his automotive/modding proficiencies with pride!*

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >