Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165264 - 12/24/08 04:33 PM question for Acefighter
Richard Candelario Offline
So, a couple days ago, I was in Houston for business. I met with Slick for lunch on Clear Lake City BLVD (Lenny's Sub Shop). While on the way out, I noticed the USS Texas exit, and curiosity hit me: How far away from Ace's house and work am I at this point? No, I dont want anything precise, but how far was I from house and work?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#165265 - 12/31/08 02:20 AM Re: question for Acefighter
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Wow, little late, but the USS Texas is like 30 minutes, maybe 40 tops, from where I live. Clear lake City Blvd is like 15-20 minutes. LOL And to think, you never even bothered to try and contact me...I'm hurt. lol
#165266 - 12/31/08 11:14 AM Re: question for Acefighter
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
crazy

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#165267 - 12/31/08 09:23 PM Re: question for Acefighter
Yeah, so when you gonna gimme your number, Jon? I occasionaly hafta make runs into Houston to go to MEPS or Battalion. Would like to meet you and your car one day.

Hey, guys, me and my wife are thinking about taking to kids to the Museum of Natural History. Any takers?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#165268 - 01/03/09 03:35 AM Re: question for Acefighter
Acefighter Offline
PMed you.
#165269 - 01/04/09 10:27 PM Re: question for Acefighter
unfortunately, you had PMd too late. My wife wasnt picky that day on ppl joining us, but oh well. Did you know that the Houston Zoo allows military in for free AND up to 8 additional guests per Service Member? Sweet deal. That will be a spring-time road trip for us!

Body Worlds? Skip it. Interesting specimens. Incredible preservation and presentation of specimens, but not worth the 63 USD that I paid for me, my wife, and my daughter. My son was free, but only until next November when he turns 3. Very little explanation was done as to why certain exhibits were on display. I figured that the donors would have had their stories told at each exhibit and what was so "remarkable" at certain exhibits. I lost interest in the latter part of the second half. My son was very upset at the Human Development portion. My wife lost interest in the first portion of the first half. My daughter (4 years old) wasnt really interested at all the whole way through.

The Houston Museum of Natural Science itself was kinda interesting. THere was NOTHING there for teh kids to REALLY get involved with, like at the Arizona Museum of Natural History (or is it Science?). Lines were long. The staff was curt and otherwise gave this air of being too busy/important to get involoved with the guests. The other museum-goers were incredibly rude and pushy. Me and my daughter would be looking at something, and an adult, AN ADULT, would step right in front of us, normally kicking my son's stroller. Occasionally we would get a gruff "excuse me", but nothing really to allay my desire to give them a tracheotomy with a rusty pushrod.

My kids had a GREAT time over at Slick's place. My daughter STILL asks "when are we going to bring John to his new home, Daddy?" My son has said John once or twice since leaving the resaurant. John, you have made quite the impact on my kids, and I thank you for that. As I said over dinner, me and my wife have only seen my daughter react with someone like that only 3 other times in her life. You are, indeed, in elite company.

Dinner at BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse (John, correct me on the name, please) was EXCELLENT. If anyone finds themselves at the Deer Brooke Mall on FM 1960 in Tomball(?), you MUST stop in. My wife normally doesnt finish an entire plate of food at home, much less on the road. This plate was just about polished clean. Now, lemme step back a second. Dont get this idea that my wife wont eat in order to maintain some kind of appearance (ya know, the high school girl that orders only a salad on the first date, and barely touches THAT for fear of lookin like a pig. Yeah, my wife is REALLY not like that), she just finds it hard to maintain interest in whatever meal she's having. Go to BJ's Restaurant on FM 1960 in North Houston. Why you still logged in? GO!

Not sure what our next outing will be, but my wife expressed interest in the Holocaust Museum. Of course, there's still Birth of Christianity, Dinosaur CSI, Nature of Diamonds, Terra Cotta Soldiers, and a number of other museums in Houston Metro to go to. When we get ready to get down that way, I'll be sure to post here IF we're allowing company on that road trip.

Ace, you're about to turn 2,000 posts. Congrats!

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#165270 - 01/05/09 01:13 AM Re: question for Acefighter
Acefighter Offline
Wow, I hadn't noticed. This is 2007. lol Thanks

I went to the Holocaust Museum a few years ago and found it kind of boring. To be fair, I was like 12 or 13 or so, and that may have had something to do with it. Your kids will be bored, if you would even bring them to someplace like that. lol I would probably find it more interesting now.

Some place that both you & they would enjoy is the Museum of Health & Medical Science . The name sounds kinda boring, but I went there several times as a kid, and always through it was cool. It's a place that an adult would find interesting too, as long as they haven't run it into the ground in the 8 or so years since I've been. lol

If you guys are ever in the vicinity of Pearland (20 min SE of Houston), I will take you to one of the best BBQ places you'll ever go to. It's one of those one-of-a-kind family-owned restaurants that you have to stand in a long line to get food for, but no one cares because it's that good. lol It's the kind of place that you would see on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. And the best part is, it's cheap.

I didn't know that about the Houston Zoo...that's a place I haven't been since I was like 6. I got seperated from my mom, too. lol