Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165389 - 07/18/06 04:37 AM You won't believe this
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I was late for work so I was doing about a 100 mph and a F-350 and a GTO was racing and went past me and the Ford F-350 let the GTO have it and the GTO was modded because I can tell by the sound of the car but I don't know if the truck was modded or not. The truck was like two 18 wheeler truck lengths in front of the GTO and it was a 6.0 liter one.

So how can that be that a much heavier truck out raced a GTO.
#165390 - 07/18/06 08:01 AM Re: You won't believe this
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Easy but costly.

On truckin they modded a diesel truck with Turbo, propane injection, nitrous and power programmer.

When everything was used the truck made over 700hp on the dyno

http://www.bullydog.com/
#165391 - 07/18/06 08:46 AM Re: You won't believe this
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Yep, you tune one of those powerstorkes correctly, and you've got yourself one hell of a muscle car.
#165392 - 07/18/06 02:16 PM Re: You won't believe this
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Easy but costly.

On truckin they modded a diesel truck with Turbo, propane injection, nitrous and power programmer.

When everything was used the truck made over 700hp on the dyno

http://www.bullydog.com/
I saw that episode and was AMAZED how much power they got at the rear wheels for so little mods... just VERY expencive mods!
#165393 - 07/18/06 08:16 PM Re: You won't believe this
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
and I'll bet the fuel mileage goes to crap as well...I just dont understand why people want such fast trucks...their center of gravity is so much higher and their aerodynamics are like shaped bricks...higher ground clearance that serves well for working doesnt bode well for high speed...plus with fuel prices these days isnt a hi-po car thirsty enough...full sized trucks get brutal mileage...I know guys at work that brag that their truck gets 16mpg...maybe for a truck thats good but I cant imagine feeding something like that...I know a lot of folks out there really need a truck, but the whole thing like Dodge is doing with the "Hemi Sport" and the "Rumble Bee" just makes me roll my eyes...In my mind a truck will never be a sports car...no matter what they do to it.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#165394 - 07/18/06 08:53 PM Re: You won't believe this
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
My buddy has a Chevette that will roast almost anything on the road...

Weird to say the least
#165395 - 07/18/06 10:03 PM Re: You won't believe this
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
..I just dont understand why people want such fast trucks...
Why do you want a fast GP? I mean come on it's being driven by the wrong set of wheels.

So what if it can't corner well. Early vettes were just as bad in the handling dept.
#165396 - 07/19/06 08:44 AM Re: You won't believe this
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
My truck will take corners almost as well as my GTP, but then again, my truck was lowered 4" in the front, and 5" in the rear. And, I get 23mpg. on the highway w/ my truck, and 17 in town (5.3L V8 )
I love trucks, there are a lot more aftermarket parts that you can by to make your truck different from anyone else's, and I love the way a really nice, custom truck looks, pulling your favorite toy ( boat, quad, bike, showcar )
#165397 - 07/19/06 09:25 AM Re: You won't believe this
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
My buddy has an '05 F350 Powerstroke. I raced him in my Dakota and kept up the entire time. Must be those 10,500lbs holding him back.

You can chip those diesels to easily get 500hp, plus the fuel mileage goes up. My Dakota gets 17mpg, he's getting 21 on the highway.
#165398 - 07/19/06 01:42 PM Re: You won't believe this
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
A friend of mine use to have a Chevy pick up 72, BEAUTIFUL!!, it had separate tubing for the exhaust, some mods on the tranny, a special filter for the carb. and it was very fast, i don't know the specs of the 8 cyl engine but it was a dream, it was a bullet if you press the gas hard! I was going to buy it for him, but some nephew of him did everything to keep it.

It was like this but blue

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#165399 - 07/19/06 06:00 PM Re: You won't believe this
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Alex, I love the early 70's model Chevy Trucks.
I used to drive one just like in your pic, but it was orange with a white stripe down the side. It was the shop truck where I used to work. I've told my wife several times if I ever have a chance to get a used pick up, it's going to be an early 70's model.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#165400 - 07/19/06 06:17 PM Re: You won't believe this
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
My grandpa had a 1969 Chevy pickup with only 40k original miles. But it was his farm truck and all rusted out. He got rid of it years ago but I always thought it would have been cool to restore.

It had "3 on the tree" if I remember correctly, and I don't think it went that fast.
#165401 - 07/20/06 11:40 AM Re: You won't believe this
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Quote:
Originally posted by AustinGTP:
Alex, I love the early 70's model Chevy Trucks.
I used to drive one just like in your pic, but it was orange with a white stripe down the side. It was the shop truck where I used to work. I've told my wife several times if I ever have a chance to get a used pick up, it's going to be an early 70's model.
I drove that truck for some weeks, it was very soft and the back was not as noisy as trucks used to be, the rear bumper was removed and you could see 2 large chrome tips at each side, it was beautiful!
I'd liketo have one like that too.

My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#165402 - 07/22/06 01:33 AM Re: You won't believe this
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
It's not uncommon to see Diesel 4X4's running 12's at the track..... The only thing that pisses me off is that they never shut the engine off..... So if I get stuck next to one in the staging lanes I gotta breath diesel fumes until I make it to the staging area.

http://pdxcgp.com
#165403 - 07/22/06 12:33 PM Re: You won't believe this
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
It's not uncommon to see Diesel 4X4's running 12's at the track..... The only thing that pisses me off is that they never shut the engine off..... So if I get stuck next to one in the staging lanes I gotta breath diesel fumes until I make it to the staging area.
A diesel takes forever to warm up to operating temps, they keep them on so the engine is at operating temp
#165404 - 07/23/06 01:42 PM Re: You won't believe this
black97 Offline
Loc: ohio
I would say that the truck was winning because the GTO wasnt really wanting to go as fast as the truck maybe.My father has an 05 GTO with a six speed and i know theres no tuned F-350 that can do 155 no aerodynamics. Like it was said earlier the aerodynamics are terrible.
#165405 - 07/23/06 04:57 PM Re: You won't believe this
davidmiz Offline
Loc: Lakewood N.J.
my bro has a 2003 ford f350 4in dual exausts out the side, intercoler, upgraded turbo and a boost controler i have been with him doing 110mph he has like 500hp 800 tourqe and he has a friend that has a dodge 3500 that will beat him but he has a maunal trans my bro has a auto plus its his work truck he can tow cars with it, it has a repo bar under the back bumper. its 1 sweat truck
#165406 - 07/24/06 02:37 AM Re: You won't believe this
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Well I know the gto was a automatic because I can tell if the car was a manual or not but I could not believe until I saw this show called pinks, a white dodge ram had 700 hp and it was performed by bulldogs performence part. Ever heard of them.
#165407 - 07/24/06 02:38 AM Re: You won't believe this
buggy2068 Offline
Loc: Warrensburg, MO
i saw that show. that was pretty impressive
#165408 - 07/24/06 06:29 AM Re: You won't believe this
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dre da GP man:
Well I know the gto was a automatic because I can tell if the car was a manual or not but I could not believe until I saw this show called pinks, a white dodge ram had 700 hp and it was performed by bulldogs performence part. Ever heard of them.
i know that most people say that they can tell if a car is a standard or an automatic just by the way the car moves or how the car sounds as you get to the shift point but it all depends on the driver. i had people constantly telling me that the only way my Ford Ranger beat them was because it was an automatic so i would invite them to look in the truck and see that it was a Standard. and when i drive my dads Trans Am i have had people argue with me on weather it was a Standard or Auto(its an auto by the way). it all depends on the driver and how long they have been driving that particular car. if you drive it every day you can shift a standard more smoothly then any automatic could think of at full Throttle.

#165409 - 07/27/06 12:39 AM Re: You won't believe this
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by ifitwasnt4u:
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
[b] It's not uncommon to see Diesel 4X4's running 12's at the track..... The only thing that pisses me off is that they never shut the engine off..... So if I get stuck next to one in the staging lanes I gotta breath diesel fumes until I make it to the staging area.
A diesel takes forever to warm up to operating temps, they keep them on so the engine is at operating temp [/b]
So, driving in off the freeway, and spending 20 minutes in the staging lanes is going to allow the engine to cool down below operating temps?
With my experiences with my little 3.8L it takes 20 minutes just for the fans to overcome the heatsoaking. I doubt a 6+ liter diesel engine is going to cool down in 20 minutes.
Unless you can convince me otherwise, these guys are only running the engines because they can, making everyone that has to breath the exhaust miserable.

http://pdxcgp.com
#165410 - 07/27/06 08:16 AM Re: You won't believe this
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Diesel engines love compression.
It's kinda like turning your computer off everytime you step away from it. That's not anything that should be done. Your computer should be on at all times.
Diesel engines are kinda the same way. Turning them off an on isn't good for them. Compression is good for diesels engines.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >