Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166954 - 01/10/09 01:42 AM 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/09/video-6-year-old-learns-to-drive-in-i-gta-i-takes-moms-tau/

Quote:
When the six-year-old son of David Eugene Dodson and Jacqulyn Deana Waltman of Wicomico Church, Virginia, missed the bus to school in the morning, he grabbed the keys to the family's Ford Taurus and drove himself. Well, almost. The young driver made it surprisingly far, over a bridge and around a few corners, until he crashed the Taurus into an electrical piling...and then proceeded on foot, determined to make it to school.

The child is now in protective custody together with his four-year-old brother while his parents face child endangerment charges. When asked by state troopers how he learned to drive, he freely told the officials that he honed his chops in front of the television, playing video games like Grand Theft Auto and Monster Truck Jam.
Another case of where the heck were the parents? And they let their six year old play GTA? Seriously, I hope their kids get taken away from them.
#166955 - 01/10/09 11:46 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Only in virginia. There were 3 cases like these in the past.
#166956 - 01/10/09 11:51 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
now if hes was working a clutch id be cool

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.
#166957 - 01/12/09 11:41 AM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Was discussing this on Gamespot.

Apparently the kid was so determined to get to school because he didn't want to miss breakfast.

Obviously the parents weren't feeding him properly and had a blatant neglect for the well-being of their child for leaving keys in an obtainable area AND letting him even WATCH GTA.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#166958 - 01/12/09 12:23 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
lol

No one was hurt... so I can laugh my butt off without feeling guilty...

lol
#166959 - 01/12/09 02:03 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
Was discussing this on Gamespot.

Apparently the kid was so determined to get to school because he didn't want to miss breakfast.

Obviously the parents weren't feeding him properly and had a blatant neglect for the well-being of their child for leaving keys in an obtainable area AND letting him even WATCH GTA.
lol... :rolleyes:

All parents keys are in a spot where a kid can get to them. I have never been to a house where the parents hide their keys from their kids. The kid got hungry and took off, so the parents weren't feeding him correctly? That is quite a jump. You have no idea what the circumstances of their parenting skills are, what a stupid blanket statement. The kid could have a crush on some girl and wanted to see the girl at breakfast before school or something.

And all kids play violent games. Most kids know what is right from wrong.
#166960 - 01/12/09 05:56 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
Acefighter Offline
At 6? Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn't take my chance on a game with GTA. Besides, it's not just the violence that's inappropriate for a kid that age.
#166961 - 01/12/09 06:12 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Bah, this is America. Violence is A-OK, just keep the sex out of it.
#166962 - 01/12/09 11:44 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
Acefighter Offline
Uh, have you played GTA? lol lol
#166963 - 01/13/09 12:14 AM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
ordonez1307 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
At 6? Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn't take my chance on a game with GTA. Besides, it's not just the violence that's inappropriate for a kid that age.
So he could have played it at a friends house. Everyone had that friend growing up whose parents didn't care what you guys did as long as no one died. He could have played it there, or something. You just can't make a statement that the parents were negligent and didn't feed the kid.
#166964 - 01/13/09 02:58 AM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
Acefighter Offline
I was thinking about what you said:

Quote:
Most kids know what is right from wrong.
Clearly, this kid didn't. Theft, damage to property, etc. If his parents had spent the proper amount of time with him, maybe this wouldn't have happened. However, the child told police that he plays "a lot of video games." While not feeding him is kind of a leap, they clearly just sat him in front of the TV and didn't take the proper care of him.

In most news articles, it says he wasn't wearing a seat belt. While we can't know for sure, my guess is his parents never made him buckle up (i.e. neglect). My mom told me from the very beginning to buckle up, and even when I was with a friend & his mom/dad, if they didn't make him buckle, I did it anyway. Why? Because I had been taught it was the smart thing do.
#166965 - 01/13/09 12:30 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
ordonez1307 Offline
It's hard for us to make any judgments. When I was 6 I played a lot of video games, too.

The seat belt thing is news to me, that could be a sign of them not teaching him correctly. But it's hard to tell if the kid was just in the heat of the moment.
#166966 - 01/13/09 01:59 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
Zalfrin Offline
He would have ran over a few people if he was truely emulating GTA. wink
#166967 - 01/13/09 03:04 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
GTA is all about Sex and Violence.... my kinda game wink lol
#166968 - 01/13/09 08:28 PM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by ifitwasnt4u:
quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
GTA is all about Sex and Violence.... my kinda game wink cheers

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.
#166969 - 01/14/09 09:54 AM Re: 6-year-old learns to drive in GTA, takes mom's Taurus to school
Zalfrin Offline
Just saying, if it was only violence, there wouldn't be nearly as much screaming and blaming going on about it.