Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16733 - 03/15/07 11:20 PM Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
01GPGT Offline
Loc: Minnesota
Ok... I just noticed I have Oil in my coolant, no coolant in the oil thankfully!!! But i did my research and I figured out the problem is my LIM. I just rolled over to 100k. I guess its typical for the LIM gaskets to blow out around 100k.

My Question is how long will it take to replace the LIM gasket? I'm really good at fixing , and workin on cars, i know there is quite a bit of work to do.

Any suggestions? tips to help me out. I'm gonna get upper and lower manifold gaskets from zzp. Gonna get the aluminum LIM gasket.

I really hope ill be able to do this myself!!!

OH! also, how much would a shop charge to replace my LIM gasket??? any guesses?

Your one warning.

Short Ram Air Intake | Throttle Body Spacer| Throttle Body Screen Removed | ZZP PCM | 180* Thermostat| Debaged |Flipped Sway Bar | Strut Tower Stabilizer | Motor Mounts | Tr55's | Coming soon : 3" DP |
#16734 - 03/16/07 01:30 AM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I haven't done it, but I was one step away from pulling the upper intake manifold off. Doesn't seem like a huge job. Once that's off, start ripping more things off and then you're down to the lower intake manifold. Might want to replace both upper and lower gaskets while you've got it open.
101K and mine is still dry *crosses fingers*
#16735 - 03/16/07 03:11 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Just had mine done under warranty yesterday at the dealership, cost $928.00 total (I only had to play 100).
#16736 - 03/16/07 04:04 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
xXAbercrombie05 Offline
Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
suggestion for ya: dont swear, the mods dont like it and will delete ur post =X just a heads up
-----------------------------------
#16737 - 03/16/07 04:17 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
It's not a bad job to do yourself, if you decide to tackle it. If you have air tools, even better. wink As for suggestions, I'd recommend rounding up a set of injector o-rings, two coolant elbows (they usually break!), a new thermostat, and an ECT sensor while you have the manifold off. If you have the original upper manifold, consider replacing it with an updated one(the old design tends to fail between the EGR and coolant ports.) Drain out as much coolant as you can before taking it apart, and plan on changing your engine oil twice, to keep the bearings happy. smile
#16738 - 03/16/07 06:17 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
01GPGT Offline
yeah sorry for swearing!!! eep. I'm gonna takle it myself. I dont have squat for tools, i guess im gonna hafta go to sears n buy a good set. smirk What adhesive do i need for the LIM? thanks for all the tips guys!!!

Short Ram Air Intake | Throttle Body Spacer| Throttle Body Screen Removed | ZZP PCM | 180* Thermostat| Debaged |Flipped Sway Bar | Strut Tower Stabilizer | Motor Mounts | Tr55's | Coming soon : 3" DP |
#16739 - 03/16/07 06:48 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
01GPGT Offline
WELL! since i'm taking everything apart! I might as well add some performance smile

What im getting!
- New Updated Upper Intake w/ Gasket $110
- Throttle Body Spacer which blocks off coolant into the throttle body. $26
- LIM Gasket Aluminum $50
- BEST OF ALL High Velocity Intake Insert! Adds 9 peak WHP and 30 WHP! at 6000rpm.
- Injector O-Rings $5
- I already installed a 180 degree thermostat & O-Ring 15k miles ago. I'm guessing its still fine. I might drill it tho... Does anyone remember the drill bit size i need?
- Coolant Elbows - Just incase - thanks for the tip blackarrow!!! Your reply was very helpful!

#16740 - 03/16/07 07:36 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
RTV for the sealant. Be sure to let it set up prior to starting the car. Don't use too much. You don't want goobers breaking off and clogging oil passages.
#16741 - 03/16/07 07:54 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
what year model did the updated intake manifold become standard?...since mine is an 01 with 106k I'm wondring if this is something I should plan on soon...adding the zzp insert seems like a good excuse to get this job done.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#16742 - 03/16/07 08:14 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
01GPGT Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
what year model did the updated intake manifold become standard?...since mine is an 01 with 106k I'm wondring if this is something I should plan on soon...adding the zzp insert seems like a good excuse to get this job done.
I also wanna know cuz i have a 2001 GT also!

#16743 - 03/16/07 08:15 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
01GPGT Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
I also wanna know cuz i have a 2001 GT also!

#16744 - 03/16/07 08:29 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Glad you found my reply helpful. X100 what Herc said about the RTV; just use a little dab in the corners where the LIM end seals and the cylinder heads meet. I also use liquid teflon on the LIM bolt threads. IIRC, you'll need a 6 point 3/8 socket for the LIM bolts, as the 10mm socket can slip and round them off. If spring ever decides to get here, I'll be doing mine again too.
#16745 - 03/16/07 08:59 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
01GPGT Offline
so... you only use RTV on the end seals then correct? both sides?

#16746 - 03/16/07 09:29 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Yes only on the ends.
#16747 - 03/16/07 10:52 PM Re: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by 01GPGT:
so... you only use RTV on the end seals then correct? both sides?
Not the whole seal, just the corners where they meet the head seals. Once you see it, it will make sense.

http://pdxcgp.com