Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170448 - 04/16/07 02:23 AM Re: No G8 after all?!?!?!?!?!?
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
That homoginizer sounds like an interesting concept. I'd like to look a little more into that someday!

It's just hard for me to believe that some of you guys are pulling 30+ mpg when I calculate my fuel economy and miss that by almost 10 mpg!

'97 SE with alot of mods
#170449 - 04/16/07 09:44 AM Re: No G8 after all?!?!?!?!?!?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
I'm not eloquent or knowledgeable enough to explain it either, but I know for a fact that my GT got less MPG than my GTP. Like T-bat said, it's probably a combination of gearing and such, cause the whole reason we have the crappy gearing is for better economy. So of course you guys with top swaps aren't going to see the same MPG we do because of the remaining GT parts in your cars.

I never calculated the MPG in my GT, but the best I could ever get out of the '97's 18 gallon tank was a little over 300 miles. And that had to be almost all highway driving. I get well over that in my GTP with a little more city than highway, on a smaller gas tank. I think fuel octane has a little to do with it too.

Plus, like I said, older cars will get a tad less MPG because of wear and tear.

But anyway, think about it: we've got quick, high moddable cars that still get 2x MPG. laugh .. For now.
#170450 - 04/16/07 10:15 AM Re: No G8 after all?!?!?!?!?!?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I think Arcx makes a grand point which gets back to the start of this thread and the whining by Mr Lutz.
Look back, and I aint talking ages ago here but just back to when my car was new. In 2001 the GTP was a monster off the showroom floor. The hottest thing Chrysler offered was the 250hp 300M. (Vette & Viper excluded and the F-body was on the way out due to slow sales) Dodges' NASCAR motorsports special edition was a 250hp 3.5 V6 Intrepid. Ford still had the Mustang but it was barely as potent as either of the aforementioned cars.
I've told more than a few people about how my GT is almost as fast as my old 79 T/A, has twice the room, three times the trunk space and gets almost double the gas mileage. To me that makes it a better car all around.
Was barely sub-two dollar a gallon gas all the excuse we needed to start building big V8 pavement rippers again? Like there was a shot in blazes it was gonna stay that low.
I dont know what kind of income bracket it takes now days but I look at the prices and operating costs of most of the new V8 cars and I know I'll never buy one.
If GM could build a car as good as my GT and a GTP in 2001 and in six model years cant do any better on mileage, power and emissions then they are a sad bunch indeed. Maybe its time for men like Mr Lutz to take a seat.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#170451 - 04/16/07 11:56 AM Re: No G8 after all?!?!?!?!?!?
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
I used to be able to pull off 30-32mpg on pure freeway driving... I'm thinking that besides my car being old as shit (150k miles), it misses the rockers I had on it. Yes, I was pulling 30mpg w/rockers... Average was between 22-24 or so with mixed city driving.

As for everyone's discrepencies... Eh, every car is different...

And for GM's lack of innovation on economy/efficiency while maintaining performance? I think they could do better, but they just haven't... Which sucks...

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#170452 - 04/16/07 12:07 PM Re: No G8 after all?!?!?!?!?!?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Tbat look at that new high feature V6 that's going into the G8. I think it just might surprise everyone. Too bad the car will still weigh in at a little over 4100 pounds. But 260 hp and something like 250 something torque. NA. That's close to L67 oomph. The new 6 will have better HP but a little light on the torque but...