Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172683 - 02/16/09 05:21 PM Daytona 500
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
IMO.... it sucked!

It was a disgrace to the sport on all angles. Screwed the drivers, teams, economy, and most of all the fans!

This is supposed the biggest race of the year. The Gatorade Duels were more enjoyable to watch than the crap they displayed last night. They have put in hours upon miles on the track for the last two weeks... and that is what they have to show for it.

Well, first off, they knew there was incomming rain later that day. So why not start the race eariler so you can get the whole thing in before sky opens and track floods. ...meh, I mean that's an idea.

A) The fans got cheated. They spent $100's of dollars for tickets, hotels, trans., food, and so on.... These are the people keeping the sport alive at this point. I understand you can't predict the weather to a "T", but c'mon we have tons of $$$ put into these weather doppler systems. All they had to do was push the race to either a 12 or 1PM start and all would be good.

B) Goodyear SUCKS!!! They had 3 months to bring a tire to Daytona that would work. Goodyear=FAIL, let another company try...

C) Dale Jr. wreck, guess this could go either way. But I think he was wrong, Vickers is aloud to block, he did and was successful, Jr. shoulda backed off. I understand Jr. was frustrated from prior mistakes and they were racing for the lucky dog because of the ~Rain~. (see A)) -because this accident wouldn't have happened if they had only push the race to start eariler- but he totally messed up!

D) Drivers and teams learned absolutely nothing, except waste time and money. How much fuel did they burn these 2 weeks (qualifying, practice(S), race)? How much money, time, and effort did these teams/owners take to put a team together? You know the economy is struggling right now?
Well, if you look at this race, it was all for nothing IMO. You just proved to the government and fans, that there is a lot of waste in the sport. The management sucks in NASCAR. Why do we need 2-3 hours of pre-race, really?

I am a huge fan of the sport, don't get me wrong, i'm just dissappointed in how they acted/reacted to things. All in all, i'm happy NASCAR is back in action and hope the rest of the season improves from this lackluster event.

Example, Next weeks race starts at 5PM on the east coast, well probably 7PM after pre-race garbage. West coast races used to start at 3PM. Why the change???

Offically end of rant... (Opinions and Comments?)

#172684 - 02/16/09 05:54 PM Re: Daytona 500
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
A. You can't push the start up of such a major event. TV contracts, fans etc etc.

B. The only cars that were having tire issues are those who ran agressive camber.

C. Accidents happen get over it.

D. All for nothing? Ask Kennseth if it was all for nothing. 2-3 hours of pre race is just the networks working up the hype. Same reason the Superbowl has an all day long pregame show.

I actually am surprised they called the race as fast as they did. I hate when they spend two hours waiting/drying only to call the race. To me that does a bigger disservice to the fans.

Time changes are probably a result of research showing higher viewewship at those times.
#172685 - 02/16/09 06:29 PM Re: Daytona 500
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
Well i'm sure they could change the time (in advance for the fans) if they really wanted to, they do it to NFL games here and there when there is really bad weather, i'm not talking about the hurricane deal, but when there's lighting they will move times. Also, with baseball games.

Agressive camber, true for Jeff Gordon, but not Ryan Newman in practice. His back tire exploded with a really low amount for laps put on it. Goodyear's quality has really gone down in recent years. Look at Indy, I know I believe it's a different surface, but that company has a full year to bring a competitive/SAFE tire to a track.

Accidents do happen, I understand bumpin' is racing. Look at the early years of NASCAR. But how are they going to penalize (5 laps) someone in the Nationwide (Busch) race for the same thing Jr. did? ...Oh wait, that's right, it's Jr., my bad... :rolleyes:

Obviously the winner will take a win in that regard, but is it really deserved from the fans point of view, meh... Yes and No, I guess.

I was also shocked they called the race that quick, but the radar said rain for quite a while plus they were halfway mad

I'm just sayin' I hope NASCAR learns something from this race/"Main Event". As a fan I would think twice about spending $100's of dollars for a half-a-show at full price. Especially in today's economy.

#172686 - 02/16/09 06:56 PM Re: Daytona 500
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
i was pissed.

thats all i have to say.
#172687 - 02/16/09 07:17 PM Re: Daytona 500
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
I understand how you feel.

A) If fans knew it will be offical race at 3:40pm. If nascar choose move back like 12pm. I'm pretty sure some fans have no idea about that. They might come like 2:30pm and see the race already under way. I'm sure this fans will upset about that. Nothing we can do about that. That's offical time. They have been plan that time like 3 weeks ago. It is not their fault that they can't control the weather.

B) Remember nascar ban testing. I'm pretty sure it is not Goodyear fault. How can they test the tires if nascar ban the testing? There is not lot of tire blown yesterday. I believe it is 2 of them.

C) Racing accident happen. I'm Jr fan. After watching replay often. Jr finally got in between yellow line and Vicker's car but Vicker's car push him all way to yellow line. Like he says he is trying move back to line but too soon. It is really accident happen. No one is perfect. He admit that. You probably why Jason got penalized? He bump and draft ON TURN. That's rough driving. Vicker and Jr is on STRAIGHTWAY. That's different story.

I know you are not happy about call it off quickly at 7pm. The rain actually got clear off at 8pm. If they decide dry it off. Remember Daytona is HUGE track. It will take like 2-3 hours to dry it off. It will start like 10 to 11pm to restart. I guess nascar made right choice.
#172688 - 02/16/09 07:18 PM Re: Daytona 500
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I bet Newman was running an extreme setup. One way or another either extreme camber or super low pressure etc etc. We'll never know. If the tires were in such poor shape why did we not see more blown tires?

In no time has NFL pushed up a kickoff. They delay but not push up. Plus NFL now has a flex schedule later in the season to show games that matter in primetime. NASCAR only has one race a week a little different there.

Tire competition if you want to believe it or not will not make a safer tire. Why? Because the companies will make the tire that goes the fastest not plain and simple. Formula one has shown that CART has shown that.

This "new" car has posed big problems for everyone.

The Busch race penalty was a blatent attack. If JR was at fault it was more then likely a misjudment of space. JR is not one to go after people and take them out. How many times last season did Kyle Bush do that?
#172689 - 02/16/09 10:45 PM Re: Daytona 500
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I thought Daytona hosted one of the best "speed weeks" that NASCAR has had in a long time.
The no testing rule was an awesome move by NASCAR. It made the racing just that much better and it was because of the no testing rule that got some low budget teams in the field like Jeremy Mayfield and Tommy Baldwin.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#172690 - 02/16/09 10:48 PM Re: Daytona 500
MAC GTP Offline
Loc: Willow Grove,PA
it might just be cause i grew up in the north but i dont really like nascar. hours of the same thing over and over left turn after left turn. to everyone there own tho. i would have been pissed if and eagles game got pushed back or cancelled so i can feel ya there.
#172691 - 02/16/09 11:32 PM Re: Daytona 500
palsut Offline
AustinGTP: You are right. I'm impressed about Mayfield's team. I remember they just built that team like 3 weeks ago I think. They make it on race. :ekk:

Ban testing save like million. I think that's good move by Nascar.

It might be turn left, left, left and left but side by side is really fun. I have been fan since 1997 when I start like nascar when Dale Earnhardt flip his car and finish the race with wrecked car. I thought it was coolest I ever seen.

If Daytona 500 didn't past halfway then it will be always tomorrow. Since it is already past halfway so it is over. That's rule. I know it is biggest race. It is not first time that Daytona 500 got rain. All I know history that Daytona 500 got 4 rain short. Few years ago, Michael Wartrip won this one.
#172692 - 02/16/09 11:42 PM Re: Daytona 500
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Nascar..... confused no

"They are maken a left turn!, and another left turn"

I wonder what they will do next?!
#172693 - 02/16/09 11:45 PM Re: Daytona 500
palsut Offline
We do have "right" turn. Nascar have 2 road courses. wink
#172694 - 02/17/09 12:02 AM Re: Daytona 500
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
C. JR took out many toyotas yay!!! thats all that matters!!
CHEVY FORD and DODGE ALL THEY WAY FTW!!!!

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#172695 - 02/17/09 01:37 AM Re: Daytona 500
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
quote:
Originally posted by ifitwasnt4u:
Nascar..... confused crazy As far as I can tell, NASCAR makes 4 more turns than most of us, and they two it at double the speed.
#172696 - 02/17/09 01:52 AM Re: Daytona 500
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
quote:
Nascar..... confused crazy As far as I can tell, NASCAR makes 4 more turns than most of us, and they two it at double the speed.
True, I dunno, just never got into Nascar. I cant sit still long enough to watch a car drive in a giant circle 300 times. But some people say that about sports that I like too, so to each his own I guess. Just had to post that cuz I think of Jeff Dunham everytime I hear about Nascar now.
#172697 - 02/17/09 02:26 AM Re: Daytona 500
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
quote:
Nascar..... confused cheers
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >