Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172828 - 12/29/06 01:34 AM 1st Gen Brakes
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
Here's something I've been wondering about for awhile now. The brakes on my car, a 96 GP Coupe, feel totally different from the brakes on a 01 GP. The pedal is much firmer and the stopping power seems greater. Stock brakes near as I can tell, nothing to interesting about them...but then I started comparing them to the 97+ rotars and noticed something. The design went from being less vented and more solid metal to more vented and less solid metal. Also, they're slightly larger in diameter...this got me thinking. Price wise, they're about the same to buy new from Napa. Wonder if they're interchangeable...does anyone know? I haven't tried, but this just got me wondering about it. Never had any trouble with warping either, and I'm not the lightest on my brakes. Any one have any ideas?

Jesse
#172829 - 12/29/06 07:37 AM Re: 1st Gen Brakes
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I know on the 97+ you can upgrade to F-body rotors.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#172830 - 12/29/06 10:03 PM Re: 1st Gen Brakes
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
On the '97+ you can increase the size of the rotors but you will also need to install different brackets to relocate the caliper to compensate. Typically the bracket comes from Aftermarket suppliers, or a Monte Carlo of the same Gen which came with 12" rotors. Both should be a bolt on application.

The F-body conversion is a caliper/bracket makeover that incorporates the F-body 2 piston calipers/brackets with 12" brakes. A bit of fabrication(drilling tapping) involved with the conversion from what I understand but well worth the effort according to the people that have done it.

http://pdxcgp.com