Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173433 - 06/13/08 07:38 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
the XD's mpg is rated

manual 27-33 (city-highway
auto 26-32

Is the performance and comfort of the GT worth giving up for that? Or is it just that she want's a new car?
#173434 - 06/13/08 07:42 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
the XD's mpg is rated

manual 27-33 (city-highway
auto 26-32

Is the performance and comfort of the GT worth giving up for that? Or is it just that she want's a new car?
correct me if im wrong but shouldnt the GT be getting similar numbers?

i get 25city avg and 33highway avg

so the extra money and the pain of dropping my just as good if not better than an import american car would NEVER outweigh or counteract or even out the extra bit of money on the monthly payment

"Mr. Mom"
#173435 - 06/15/08 10:31 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Is the fuel savings going to outweigh the monthly payment?

I swear the auto industry is making a killing right now because people would rather pay an extra $100 a month on a car payment then $80 a month extra on fuel. Now if people are doing it for enviro reasons etc and not just cause the cost at the pump that's different.
Your right herc. Alot of people don't understand that for some reason
#173436 - 06/16/08 02:28 AM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
is it really worth buying a scion....it wont be a cool as a gp.....nor fast...not as good looking.....i get looks when i drive my car....you wont get that in a scion...keep it dangit lol

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.
#173437 - 06/16/08 02:53 AM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I've never gotten over 30mpg on the T-Bat but even at that mileage I still think its pretty darn good for a car with this much room, comfort and luggage space...not even counting the "fun to drive" factor...and oh yeah, pretty strong performance to boot.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#173438 - 06/16/08 01:44 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
Burgundy2003GT Offline
Loc: Owatonna, MN
Regardless of the ratings, my work commute is freeway going 75mph - for an hour - one way, at 75 mph the Grand Prix gets 26-27mpg. I have never heard of one getting more than 30, but anyway it is more or less my specific circumstances being a long freeway drive that requires a car that gets exceptional mpg at high speed.
The Scion Xd pulls 37 on the freeway, this based on user reviews. The EPA recently changed the ratings of new cars, thus the books say the Xd averages 33, it actually doesn't. The best an Xd can do is 42mpg but I wont see that at my speeds. Part of the decision has to do with when to sell, since the miles are still low on the GP we decided now is the time. We estimate a savings of $150 per month in gas at current prices, accounting for car payments, which the scion is $20 more per month, though the loan is stretched longer.
Overall its the wifey's decision, her money on this one and she's the primary driver of it. I was just looking for something I didn't hate. I did hate the older Scions, but this one aint so bad. cheers
#173439 - 06/16/08 03:25 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
00grandprixgt Offline
still scions are ugly....they look like those honda ricers

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
#173440 - 06/16/08 04:50 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by 00grandprixgt:
still scions are ugly....they look like those honda ricers
sounds like a personal opinion. Let the man get what he wants.

A new car with a warranty > an aging pontiac
#173441 - 06/16/08 08:14 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Burgundy2003GT:
Regardless of the ratings, my work commute is freeway going 75mph - for an hour - one way, at 75 mph the Grand Prix gets 26-27mpg.
No one says you have to drive 75. And don't say you have to. Just sit in the slow lane and enjoy the ride as people go around you and smile knowing that your doing your part to save gas while they waste the precious fluid and then complain. My most efficient speed is at 67 and can knock down 34mpg.

you guys ever notice people don't say they're moving closer to work or finding work closer to them. Or moving to an area that has user friendly mass transit or within bicycle/walking distance to save money at the pump?
#173442 - 06/16/08 08:40 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
20gtp02 Offline
Yah, I am with Herc.
My last trip to Tampa, 150 miles one way. I took her easy. Cruise control the whole way, knocking down 28.5 mpg at 73 mph. I watched people fly past me, and those that I past many times cause they can't keep a steady pedal. I hope all those people aren't complaining about high gas prices!

#173443 - 06/16/08 09:23 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
i have the same problems with my mpg, i only get around 19 mpg and maybe 23mgp if i go very easy on the petal. i have thought about a scion i want a tc i like the styling, they get great gas milage and they are very cheep cars plus they come with a warrany which would be nice since i am having so SO many problems with my gp
#173444 - 06/16/08 09:27 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
tC is pretty cute, they can get pricey with all the available options. Lots of customizability from the factory/dealer.
#173445 - 06/16/08 09:39 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Quote:
Is the fuel savings going to outweigh the monthly payment?

I swear the auto industry is making a killing right now because people would rather pay an extra $100 a month on a car payment then $80 a month extra on fuel. Now if people are doing it for enviro reasons etc and not just cause the cost at the pump that's different.
x1000!

I want to hear herc's opinion on foreign/domestic oil situation now.
#173446 - 06/16/08 11:19 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
Quote:
[b] Is the fuel savings going to outweigh the monthly payment?

x1000!

I want to hear herc's opinion on foreign/domestic oil situation now. [/b]
Actually, they are losing money because sales are going down on their high profit models (suvs, trucks, luxury cars). They don't get much profit off the small cars. Also many folks can't save money to buy a car due to the high gas prices. Also, a lot of folks credits are jacked up on folks who went into foreclosure.
Auto Sales 15 year low

Other countries have seen a slight increase like India and Thailand.
Thai auto sales rise 6.9 percent

It's not just $100 a month vs %80 a month. He's getting a newer car in the process. Nothing wrong with getting a newer car now vs later. He'd eventually would have to do it. Keeping the 2003 GT is good in the short run.

The only way you know you're buying a car where the profits will go to America is to look at the sticker. It shows the % of where the parts come from and % of where it was made. Due to automotive partnerships that have been going on for decades, Dodge or GM doesn't always equal 100% America made.

Scions are ok. Huge headroom and I like the controls. Its more powerful than it was before. The xB is still the better bargain in comparison to the xD. That weird one rear view bulb at the bottom makes me want to not buy it though. I can get used to it but something is forcing me not to.

Looks like a pimple on its butt.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#173447 - 06/16/08 11:35 PM Re: Selling the GT for mpg reasons
00grandprixgt Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Quote:
Originally posted by 00grandprixgt:
[b] still scions are ugly....they look like those honda ricers
sounds like a personal opinion. Let the man get what he wants.

A new car with a warranty > an aging pontiac [/b]
Good looks(gp)>Pimply scion

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >