Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17517 - 04/26/05 01:19 AM monroe vs. kyb
gtpdream Offline
Loc: Iowa
Well, I figured Id better get new struts because my mounts are shot an need replacing as well. And with 113K, I figured its past due. I was wondering If any one has any opinions on either monroe or kyb struts. Basically just which is a better strut all around. thanks.
#17518 - 04/26/05 07:09 AM Re: monroe vs. kyb
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
I know your going to get a lot of guys say KYB but I put in a vote for Monre sensa trac, just a better all around ride IMHO .
#17519 - 04/26/05 08:25 AM Re: monroe vs. kyb
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
KYB's, always have been, always will be.
...and get your mounts changed too.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#17520 - 04/26/05 10:24 AM Re: monroe vs. kyb
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Gotta order my KYB's...
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#17521 - 04/26/05 05:19 PM Re: monroe vs. kyb
DominikRudnicki Offline
Loc: Texas
Figured I'd post in here instead of starting a new thread. What shocks and struts should i get cus mine are kinda used if you know what i mean. :rolleyes: I want something that keeps my car at stock height and isnt to hard anyone know of a good brand i could get confused ?
#17522 - 04/26/05 05:29 PM Re: monroe vs. kyb
framos242 Offline
Struts-Koni is king but is expensive. Next down is KYB.

Springs-I also like the original height. Not sure if OE or what. Would like to know as well. Someone else should help out.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

#17523 - 04/27/05 12:10 AM Re: monroe vs. kyb
gtpdream Offline
Loc: Iowa
I too have heard good things about sensatracs, but I also heard they dont last long. I have heard that the KYB is a good strut also, but the ride isnt THAT great. I dont know which to get, I spose Ill keep reading up on them.....unless anyone has any convincing evidence for either
#17524 - 04/27/05 08:29 AM Re: monroe vs. kyb
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
KYB's generally give you a stiff ride, I've used them on many cars I've had in the past.
The replacment strut that KYB offers for the GP is just that, a replacement. KYB has used OEM specs to build a strut with their own quality components. The replacment struts don't offer as stiff as a ride as their performance struts.
KYB replacements offer a ride that is just a tad bit better than when the car was brand new, only difference is that the KYB's will last a whole lot longer than OEM's.

So... if you're looking to tell the difference between a dime and a penny when you run over it, the KYB replacements may not be for you. If you are looking for a stiff ride, you might want to look at some other products.
I happen to love mine, I think they could be a little stiffer, but the ride isn't all that bad. If I had some better than OEM springs, but the same ride hieght as stock, I'm sure I could stiffen up the ride in that manner, but I'm happy with what I've got.
BTW... I am one of those who like to tell the difference between a penny and a dime when I run over them.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#17525 - 04/27/05 10:20 AM Re: monroe vs. kyb
DominikRudnicki Offline
Loc: Texas
I saw some KYB GR-2 shocks and struts forsale on ebay, and was wondering if they would work with my car? On the link it says they fit 1997-2003 grand prix's, but doesn't say if that includes the GTP and im not sure if the suspension on the gtp is diff from the regular grand prix's so i just wanted to make sure if they would work/fit on my car. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW
#17526 - 04/27/05 11:04 AM Re: monroe vs. kyb
framos242 Offline
Yup.

#17527 - 04/27/05 08:46 PM Re: monroe vs. kyb
TexasGP Offline
Loc: Georgetown, Texas
I got all 4 KYB's for 170 shipped........Clubgp deal on....of course......clubgp....Pretty good ride with my lowering springs