Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176852 - 02/25/08 12:50 PM Re: Knight Rider
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
ur only saying that because uve always driven gm vehicles....idk how u can say that mustangs arent a great muscle car.....thats your opinion but i dont think it was necessary for u to put that .02 in because the discussion was over.....

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#176853 - 02/25/08 02:46 PM Re: Knight Rider
buggy2068 Offline
Loc: Warrensburg, MO
I use to own a Mustang. That was the worst car that I have ever driven. It is just coming from personal experience. If you like Mustangs then cool. That is your choice. I am not trying to start something, I am just expressing my opinion. Sorry if I offended you.
#176854 - 02/25/08 03:00 PM Re: Knight Rider
'01 GT Offline
well im sorry to hear that u had a horrible experience with a mustang but it might have just been that specific car.....what yr n model was it?

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
#176855 - 02/25/08 03:14 PM Re: Knight Rider
buggy2068 Offline
Loc: Warrensburg, MO
I don't remember the model, but it was an 89. The torque converter blew in half after 3 months of owning the car. Also, I put brand new tires on it, and that thing did not like driving in the rain. I could not stop worth nothing. Of course, that could just be the fact that I hadn't ever driven a rear-wheel drive vehicle until then.
#176856 - 02/25/08 04:29 PM Re: Knight Rider
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Try again Ace.

The Shelby is a Mustang. Plane and simple. Only difference is a GT is sent on to another plant for modifications and upgrades. Nothing like a GP compared to a GA. More like a stock Corvette compared to a Callaway or Ligenfelter modded Vette.
Modifications? I don't call an entirely different engine (5.4L vs 4.6L, DOHC vs SOHC, 24 valve vs 32 valve, an extra 60 or so cubic inches, etc), a different tranny (Tremec TR-6060 vs Tremec TR-3650), plus better brakes, chassis, suspensions, etc, simple "modifications."

That's exactly like comparing a Grand Am to a Grand Prix. Similar and yet obviously different bodies, yet very different engines and transmissions.

Plus, the 2007 model was the ONLY one to be built by Ford. The 06 GT/GT-H models (which WERE just modified GTs with an intake, exhuast, and tune) and the current and future models are built at Shelby's headquarters.

If you go to your Ford dealership and by a Saleen or a Roush Mustang (which at my local dealership would cost $55k for a stage 3, $30k for just the Roush package), or even the new Bullitt, then you bought a modified Mustang GT. If you buy a GT500 (excluding the 06 Shelby GT/GT-H), then you bought a different (albeit similar) car.

As I said, I too am a Mustang fan, '01 GT. smile

*EDIT* Herc, wouldn't comparing the stock Vette to those Vettes be like comparing the Mustang to a Roush or Saleen? That's what it looks like to me...just modifications, not a new engine and everything...but I could be wrong.
#176857 - 02/26/08 06:57 AM Re: Knight Rider
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Ace your wasting your breath trying to say it's comparable to a GP to a GA. The two share nothing not even the floor pan. By the way the GT-H is only availble to Hertz. And yes I do call dropping in a 5.4 over a 4.6 as a modification.

Look.
If you were to order a Shelby GT500 this is what happens. Ford builds a GT puts it on a trailer ships it to Shelby who then rips out what it doesn't want and installs the parts it does want. Then ships it to you as a Shelby.

Ahhh what did I find
shelby calling the KR a mustang?

"About Shelby Automobiles, Inc.
Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby Automobiles, Inc., manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company manufactures authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. In 2007, the company partnered with Ford Motor Company to launch the new Shelby GT, which is based on the Mustang. For more information about Shelby Automobiles and to see the build of a 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR, visit www.shelbyautos.com."
#176858 - 02/26/08 08:17 AM Re: Knight Rider
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
You can't take a Grand Am and turn it into a Grand Prix. There is no comparison.
As Herc has noted, Shelby takes a mustang and tweaks on it to make it a Shelby GT 500. Is it still a mustang? Yes, it's a mustang that's been tweaked by Shelby, which would now be known as a Shelby GT 500.
If you take a Grand Am and tweak on it, will it then be known as a Grand Prix? No.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#176859 - 02/26/08 08:24 AM Re: Knight Rider
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
And yes I do call dropping in a 5.4 over a 4.6 as a modification.
If it was as simple as that, I would agree with you.

Quote:
In 2007, the company partnered with Ford Motor Company to launch the new Shelby GT, which is based on the Mustang.
That I would agree with.

And again, I don't call different...well, almost everything "tweaks."

However, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.
#176860 - 02/26/08 08:44 AM Re: Knight Rider
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Come on look even Shelby calls it a Mustang

Taken from their news page top line

"SHELBY AUTOMOBILES UNVEILS LIMITED EDITION 40th ANNIVERSARY PACKAGE FOR SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS"

How can you argue with that?

Using your premise that because it's a 5.4L and better suspension and body mods makes it a different car then I guess the New Corvette ZR1 isn't a Vette.
#176861 - 02/26/08 12:07 PM Re: Knight Rider
'01 GT Offline
ok so i need to chime in again because this is getting ridiculous...lol a mustang and a mustang shelby GT 500 is like comparing a Honda Civic to a Honda Civic SI. they r the exact same thing...same body...same chasis...SAME EVERYTHING except the motor...that is the same with the mustang gt and the mustang shelby GT 500.....EVERYTHING is the same except for the engine....which is a bigger engine in order to give it the 450 some HP.....

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
#176862 - 02/27/08 01:39 AM Re: Knight Rider
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I read a few replies and its kinda nice seeing a friendly, funny debate.

Its like an SAT test:

Mustang GT is to Shelby GT as:
a) Grand Am is to Grand Prix
b) Buick Regal is to Grand Prix
c) Pontiac Firebird is to Pontiac Firehawk
d) All the above
e) none of the above

Well, let's look at the logic for each.

(a) Let's say its a year where they both have the same engines. Could they be the same car? No. Two different body styles.
(b) Well these are sister cars. Same frame, same engines. Different body and name. Are they the same car? No.
(c) Same frame and body except for the molding and hoods. Different engines. Different suspension(?), etc. Lotta work done on it. Is a T/A or a Firehawk is still a Firebird? No. Are they all the same car? Kinda, just a uber versions. Same thing with a Mallet Corvette vs. Corvette. Or a Cutlass vs. 442.

Answer is (c).

Manufactures have a overlapping line on when to give a modified car a new name or to just say its a package to an existing car. Primarily, they choose based on marketing purposes, NOT for any technical reasons i.e., amount of modifications. Let's not fall into the same trap and view the reality.

Summary:
Is a Shelby GT a Mustang? The Shelby GT, Roush, Mustang GT are all built on the same platform. Its a Mustang but the proper way to address it is "Shelby GT". You wouldn't call a Trans Am a Firebird (depending on the year wink )

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#176863 - 02/27/08 01:47 AM Re: Knight Rider
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by AustinGTP:
An SRT4 is a neon
A Z28 is a Camaro
A Trans Am is a Firebird
A GT500 is a Mustang
A 1970 GTO is a Tempest
Etc, etc, etc...
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Blah. It's all marketing and it's stupid.
I think you and austin summed up my long reply lol lol

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#176864 - 02/27/08 04:09 PM Re: Knight Rider
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by '01 GT:
ok so i need to chime in again because this is getting ridiculous...lol a mustang and a mustang shelby GT 500 is like comparing a Honda Civic to a Honda Civic SI. they r the exact same thing...same body...same chasis...SAME EVERYTHING except the motor...that is the same with the mustang gt and the mustang shelby GT 500.....EVERYTHING is the same except for the engine....which is a bigger engine in order to give it the 450 some HP.....
OK, I'm done with the debate, but I have to say that post is WRONG. Did I not point out other differences? Another big difference is the tranny.

It's not JUST the engine.
#176865 - 02/27/08 05:38 PM Re: Knight Rider
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Ace a rose by any other name is still a rose.

Plus did you miss the part that Shelby calls it a "Shelby GT500 Mustang"?

Meaning they took a stock GT and wrenched on it to make the KR?
#176866 - 02/27/08 06:47 PM Re: Knight Rider
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
While you're right that the Shelby GT is just a regular GT that is sent to Shelby and converted, the GT500 is built right alongside the GT's and V6's at the plant. The KR is the only GT500 that is sent to Shelby to be built.

Since we're on the topic... Just found out a guy in my neighborhood has a black '07 GT500 in his garage. Can't wait till spring so I can see it on the street! laugh

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >