Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177428 - 08/19/05 08:06 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Paid 2.69 this morning. $46.00 to fill the truck.

What are you gonna do. Gas demand is up 1.4% in the US. You'll never see gas prices below $2 again.
#177429 - 08/19/05 08:34 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
87 is 2.51
93 is 2.71

Filled all three vehicles on monday and spent $50 to fill the truck, $35 to fill the car and $8 to fill the bike.

For those of you in temperate climates keep an eye on cycle prices. I bet those'll go up because of there excellent MPG. Plus people will ride more then drive.
#177430 - 08/19/05 08:38 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Less than a year ago the main topic was "Gas will hit $2 soon", now we're wondering when we'll see $3, and I'm sure some already are seeing $3.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#177431 - 08/19/05 09:56 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
01redfireGTP Offline
Loc: Indiana
$2.68 for 93 octane here...I spent $20 and got only a little over 7 gallons of gas mad

Custom Intake, Autolite 104s, 180* T-stat, Clear Corners, Custom Grilles, Pulley Boys 3.4 Pulley, Gauges, Angel Eye Fogs, DHP 1.0v PCM, 3" DP and cat & u-bend delete...
#177432 - 08/19/05 10:01 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I'm seriously starting to think about selling the fiancee's SUV for a hybrid of some sorts.

It's not the gas prices that are hurting us (yet). It's the fear that increased demand for hybrids will lessen demand for old, used SUVs. I'm affraid in a few years I won't get jack when I try to sell it.
#177433 - 08/19/05 10:04 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I'm really glad my wife got rid of her truck last month. She went from 13/18 to 19/30+.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#177434 - 08/19/05 10:21 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
$3 has been hit in some areas. Though only for high octane.
#177435 - 08/19/05 10:30 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:
$3 has been hit in some areas. Though only for high octane.
Nope! You're wrong.

Northside of Chicago, you're looking at 3.09 easy if not more for just regular 87. 3.29 for 92.

Way southside of the city, 2.79 for regular 87 and 2.99 for Premium.

Seriously thinking about taking the bus to work.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#177436 - 08/19/05 11:35 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Careful on which hybrid your looking at. Motor Trend did a long term test on the GM full size Hybrid and real world conditions the MPG were not near what GM claims. Iirc the real world results were only like 2-3 mpg better then the comparable sized engine in regular form. So you have to weigh the cost of the over priced hybrids to how much cash your putting into fuel. Every one should just ride bikes smile
#177437 - 08/19/05 11:56 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
$2.95 for 93 (super) in Kensington / Silver Spring, Maryland

Over $3.00 in DC - so I don't fill up there wink

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#177438 - 08/19/05 12:01 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Careful on which hybrid your looking at. Motor Trend did a long term test on the GM full size Hybrid and real world conditions the MPG were not near what GM claims. Iirc the real world results were only like 2-3 mpg better then the comparable sized engine in regular form. So you have to weigh the cost of the over priced hybrids to how much cash your putting into fuel. Every one should just ride bikes smile
GM truck hybrids are a complete joke. They only get 1-2 MPG more.

I knew price increases were comming sooner or later. 93 is around the same price as everyone's too.

Sells for large SUVs have still have not dropped dramatically. Guess it isn't hitting folks that hard. I mean paying $2.70 for a 23 gallon tank w/ 15 MPG city? That could be up to $50 a week.

Hybrid demand is still extremely high and are rushing to fulfill the demand.

Buses aren't that bad. Some 4 bangers are starting to look pretty good.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#177439 - 08/19/05 04:12 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
I'm seriously starting to think about selling the fiancee's SUV for a hybrid of some sorts.

It's not the gas prices that are hurting us (yet). It's the fear that increased demand for hybrids will lessen demand for old, used SUVs. I'm affraid in a few years I won't get jack when I try to sell it.
My uncle already sold his V8 Tahoe for a V6 Tacoma.

Whatever you do, don't get a hybrid. Nice in theory, terrible in practice. The batteries in them need replacing every 50k~ miles, a problem Honda has resorted to fixing by offering the first replacement free of charge. The batteries for them are above $1k. People have also shown that even the insight gets crappy milage most of the time. You're better off getting a nice, efficent gas-engined car instead of a hybrid. Especially if you plan to keep it a long time. Your wallet will thank you.
#177440 - 08/19/05 04:45 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I've heard stories about insights getting bad mileage and theories that batteries will need replacing every ~100k (never heard of ~50k). The "free of charge" is just their basic warranty for defective ones.

I went to a less biased insight forum called insightcentral.net and they don't mention much about bad mileage. They do mention a bunch of other mechanical issues though.

Personally, I am waiting until I hear what happens to these cars when they get old. Should be the near future since they been out for a while.

Edit: Gramar in first sentence.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#177441 - 08/19/05 05:18 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
[b] I'm seriously starting to think about selling the fiancee's SUV for a hybrid of some sorts.

My uncle already sold his V8 Tahoe for a V6 Tacoma.

Whatever you do, don't get a hybrid. Nice in theory, terrible in practice. The batteries in them need replacing every 50k~ miles, a problem Honda has resorted to fixing by offering the first replacement free of charge. The batteries for them are above $1k. People have also shown that even the insight gets crappy milage most of the time. You're better off getting a nice, efficent gas-engined car instead of a hybrid. Especially if you plan to keep it a long time. Your wallet will thank you. [/b]
I don't know...my buddy has a hybrid civic and it's nice. Even if you have to replace the battery after 50k miles... that is about 4 or 5 years of driving. If you used to fill up once a week, the hybrid lets you go twice a week. That means you saved $40 per fill up x 26 fill ups per year x 5 years = $5,200.

You still come out on top.
#177442 - 08/19/05 06:28 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'm very happy with the kind of mileage both my GP and my wifes Montana have been getting...I find it kind of funny how some people will drive to another county to save a few pennies on gas and then go to Starbucks and shell out $5 for a coffee!...gas prices around here are hovering just south of $2.90 for 93octane. With the way things are going I seriously dont think we'll ever see the price much below $2.50 in the future, so I still believe the full sized SUV is headed for the same fate as the old full sized luxo barge. The used car lots around here are already starting to overflow with them. I'm still having a few reservations about buying a V8 powered playtoy, but many of them get almost as good mpg as the T-Bat...and since I wont be driving it everyday, I think I might be able to live with that.I guess if my Dad were still around he would have heart failure over gas prices. I can remember when he used to fill up the family sedan at 29 cents a gallon.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >