Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177443 - 08/19/05 06:49 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
KyleGT Offline
Loc: Madison, WI
I'm glad I got a GT instead of a GTP now... only need regular instead of premium

Galaxy Silver Metallic 2001 GT ~ 70k miles Eclipse CD5425 deck, Eclipse & Kenwood speakers, Silverstars, rear bumper inlays, debadged, Flowmaster Super 40s and Gibson tips
#177444 - 08/19/05 06:53 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
I guess if my Dad were still around he would have heart failure over gas prices. I can remember when he used to fill up the family sedan at 29 cents a gallon.
Ok but look at it this way. Back then gas might have been .29 a gallon but the average hourly wage was no where near what it is now. When you look at the ratio of price of gas per gallon/average hourly wage fuel is still way cheaper then it was back then. Gas prices just haven't increased at the same rate as average earnings have.
#177445 - 08/19/05 10:56 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I know what you mean Tbat, but gas prices are so key to the economy, I think that's why it gets talked about.

Every single product you buy used gas to make or distribute it. A few pennies at each step adds up, and before you know it EVERYTHING costs more. Including your $5 cup of coffee. wink

Now, if you go to Starbucks and shell out the dough, it just affects your wallet once.
#177446 - 08/19/05 11:40 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan: Even if you have to replace the battery after 50k miles... that is about 4 or 5 years of driving. If you used to fill up once a week, the hybrid lets you go twice a week. That means you saved $40 per fill up x 26 fill ups per year x 5 years = $5,200.

You still come out on top. [/QB]
Actually, 50k would only last me 2-3 years here. You have to drive to get to everything. I drive 30 miles round trip just to get to work, hate to think how many to get to college.
#177447 - 08/20/05 01:30 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan: Even if you have to replace the battery after 50k miles... that is about 4 or 5 years of driving. If you used to fill up once a week, the hybrid lets you go twice a week. That means you saved $40 per fill up x 26 fill ups per year x 5 years = $5,200.

You still come out on top.
Actually, 50k would only last me 2-3 years here. You have to drive to get to everything. I drive 30 miles round trip just to get to work, hate to think how many to get to college. [/QB]
That sucks. I put less than 10k on per year.
#177448 - 08/20/05 07:40 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
the above posts about mileage got me wondering, so I checked... I've put 43k miles on my GP in 26 months. hammer hammer

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#177449 - 08/20/05 10:39 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Quote:
When you look at the ratio of price of gas per gallon/average hourly wage fuel is still way cheaper then it was back then. Gas prices just haven't increased at the same rate as average earnings have. [/QB]
That would have to be the only thing that hasnt skyrocketed past wages! lol the cost of housing and the purchase price of autos has gone off the chart...back in 1967, my Dad bought a brand new Dodge Polara sedan for $3200. That same year he made $15k (and worked plenty of overtime to get that)...last year I made about 4 times that much(and worked plenty of overtime as well) but the average cost of a new car is way more that four times what he paid. I dont really even consider buying brand new cars anymore for that very reason. I know guys at work who have payments on new trucks that are almost as high as my house payment...and thats just plain crazy.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#177450 - 08/20/05 12:47 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
PDM Offline
Loc: The Dells
Quote:
I'm glad I got a GT instead of a GTP now... only need regular instead of premium
I'm with you on that.
#177451 - 08/20/05 12:53 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by PDM:
Quote:
I'm with you on that.
Same here.

I'm fortunate that the gas station I always go to is still only 2.43. We'll see how long that lasts.
#177452 - 08/20/05 02:56 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Keep in mind, there's only about a $2.60 difference per tank between regular and premium.

I don't mind paying the extra ~$2.60 or so per tank to have a GTP.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#177453 - 08/20/05 03:10 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
here here Bobby smile
#177454 - 08/20/05 03:43 PM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
TexasGP Offline
Loc: Georgetown, Texas
heard on the radio a few days ago, that gas prices in other countries were really high, and in some countries, really low, where cars are at a minimum...think a few places were less than $1.00 and even a few less than .25 cents.

Heck...it takes close to $60 bucks to fill up my truck..... give or take a few bucks. Been driving the grand am around town. may have to trade the truck back in and get matching mopeds with side cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#177455 - 08/21/05 07:02 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Think of the fact that right now it costs an extra couple of dollars every time you fill up. Gas prices will go down a little and steady off at some point. Now, if you were to sell your car for another car, how much would you be paying in sales tax?

The guy who sold his V8 Tahoe for a V6 Tacoma got screwed. He probably paid a couple hundred dollars in sales tax to only get 4-6 MPG. He could have done a full tune up to the Tahoe, gotten a 3 mpg increase, and ridden out the bad prices.
My Dakota gets 19 on the highway (3.9, V6, 5spd), my father's Tahoe gets 15 (with 130k miles and NO tuneup).
#177456 - 08/21/05 09:15 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Yep but we just have to get use to the fact that we'll never see $2 a gallon again. Ever notice how fast the prices tend to rise when price/barrel goes up but how slow the prices drop if they even do when the price/barrel does?

I have once seen a gas station in the morning the price was 1.56 at noon the price was 1.66 and when I went home that afternoon the same gas station had since raised it a third time to 1.86. Needless to say I quit going to that station.
#177457 - 08/21/05 10:04 AM Re: gas prices are outrageous!!!!
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
If gas prices are above $2.60 and demand is up, why would gas prices ever fall? They won't. If the national average goes to above $3, there's a slim chance that we'll ever get below $2.50.

Gas prices are a problem that we have dug ourselves into as a nation. We're just behind on technology and don't have a way out yet.

One of the greatest liberal complaints is that Bush isn't doing anything to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Unfortunately, that's not his job. The government's job is to supply us with what we need. Etienne Lenoir didn't get any gov't funding to invent the internal combustion engine. He used his own funds. Maybe George Soros should invest millions in fuel alternatives instead of giving it to hate groups. Or Hollywood should gather $15 million to put towards fuel alternatives instead of offering it to Ralph Nader on the agreement that he won't run for President.