Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177958 - 04/13/05 01:47 AM NASCAR SSR
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen the Chevy SSR Pace Truck. I'm sure the General will follow suit as he usually does by offering replicas. I have to admit even though the SSR is grossly overpriced, I really like the looks of the Pace Truck. I sat in an SSR at the auto show and I found it to be roomy and comfortable (which for someone my size is saying something)...it seems this thing has been growing on me of late, which was topped of by the fact that I finally saw one on the road here this past Sunday. He had the top down (of course) and was profilin hard. I gotta give him credit, it was clean and looked mighty cool rollin down the mall road and she sounded bad-to-the-bone!...btw, does Chevy have any plans on using the SSR to compete in the Craftsman truck series?

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#177959 - 04/13/05 08:34 AM Re: NASCAR SSR
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Of course I've seen it. I like the SSR. There's quite a few of them running around Austin (speaking of running around Austin, I saw a Ford GT cruising around this past weekend). I've been up close to a few of them, haven't sat in one yet.
I don't think they'll be in the NASCAR Truck races. Too arodynamic in my opinion. They'll slap a restrictor plate on that thing at Daytona soo fast.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#177960 - 04/13/05 05:42 PM Re: NASCAR SSR
KyleGT Offline
Loc: Madison, WI
I think for the craftsman series they have to base the bodies off of full size trucks. I dont know if they would consider the SSR a fullsize.

I know they are bigger than they look like in teh pictures... When I was waiting for someone to finish something up at the stealership so I could sign the papers for my car (yep, got it at a chevy dealership about a month ago or so), I was looking at one in the showroom. Didn't get to sit in it, as they had "do not touch" signs on it, but yeah, that sucker was quite impressive.

Galaxy Silver Metallic 2001 GT ~ 70k miles Eclipse CD5425 deck, Eclipse & Kenwood speakers, Silverstars, rear bumper inlays, debadged, Flowmaster Super 40s and Gibson tips
#177961 - 04/13/05 06:30 PM Re: NASCAR SSR
AustinGTP Offline
I was watching Barrett-Jackson Auction a couple of weeks ago and they had a real GP pace car. I don't remember anything about it other than they said it paced the race that Bill Elliot won his last race.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#177962 - 04/16/05 01:31 AM Re: NASCAR SSR
ThunderBat Offline
I just saw pics of the SSR pace truck from the Texas IROC race...that tri-color flame paint job looks so freakin cool!...I also found some pics of the Indy pace truck...I hope they use one for the Brickyard race this year, but if it looks as cool as the Texas truck I may just have to add one to my diecast collection...btw, and I know this is off topic, but if they had a Laps for Charity at Indy that would be so cool for a meet!

#177963 - 04/16/05 09:42 AM Re: NASCAR SSR
AustinGTP Offline
Yes it would be cool to go around Indy.
BTW... at the begining of the IROC race there was a Monte Carlo pace car in front of the SSR pace truck. That Monte will be pacing us around TMS next monthe for Laps for Charity, no SSR for us.

#177964 - 04/17/05 05:59 AM Re: NASCAR SSR
ThunderBat Offline
kind of cool that you will be paced by another "W-body" car...that would be a cool pic to have...Monte pace car w/Austin drafting on the back straight! thumbsup

#177965 - 04/17/05 01:20 PM Re: NASCAR SSR
Canadian GTP Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Quote:
Monte pace car w/Austin drafting on the back straight!
Austin, i'll give ya $10.00 to pass it!!! HAHA crazy

Intense PCM, 3.5" Pulley, SLP C.A.I, 3" D/P, Flipped FSB, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster 50 Series, Autolite 605's, Drilled 180 Thermo, Falken FK-451's (245/45ZR18), Motegi FF7 Hyper Black 18x7.5, SS Grills, Tint & Overlays here and there.
#177966 - 04/17/05 01:28 PM Re: NASCAR SSR
AustinGTP Offline
lol lol
They've got about 3 or 4 pace trucks mingling in and out of the group on the track. They make sure you don't go too fast or too slow, and they make sure you're not going to do anything out of line. They will go as far as boxing you in and force you off the track.

#177967 - 04/17/05 03:39 PM Re: NASCAR SSR
ThunderBat Offline
how fast are the lap speeds?...on the average I mean...80-100mph?

#177968 - 04/17/05 04:14 PM Re: NASCAR SSR
AustinGTP Offline
We were paced at about 85-90. If you lay back a little at the end of the straights, you can gun it through the 24* turns. You can't get too close to the car in front. They tell you to stay about 4 cars behind the one in front of you.
The first year they just let you out there on your own, a group of about 10-15, same as they do now. But they were unpaced. Idiots were out there wrecking and causing all kinds of mess.