Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178064 - 01/07/08 10:20 AM Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
Well I just got laid off today. Went into work and they wanted to see a bunch of us up at HR. Went in and they told us they had no place to put us, therefore we were told to go home. I work (well used to work) at this factory called GECOM Corp. over in the injection molding department. They mainly manufacture key-locks on vehicles. Mostly Chrysler, Toyota, and Honda. What I can't understand is that the area is getting one of the biggest Honda plants in North America (opening fall of 2008) and we would supply their parts at a cheap tranportation cost (less than 5 miles away). The automotive industry is going downhill. I gained lots of experience with that job. Well guess it's time to go back to school, since i'm only 20 and no wife and kids, time is still on my side.

[EDIT] Here's a link to the Honda Plant
http://www.planetizen.com/node/20431

And also here is a link of Toyota taking over Ford for second on sales list
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080103/auto_sales.html

#178065 - 01/07/08 10:28 AM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Sorry to hear you got laid off.

A few years ago when I graduated, I decided I'd do anything engineering related OUTSIDE of the auto industry. I knew it was going down the tubes.
#178066 - 01/07/08 10:49 AM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
That industry and airlines are two I'd stay away from. Too many horror stories of lay offs.

Sorry to hear about your bad news but like you said your still young and single so easy to bounce back from. Now some of the older guys with family's...
#178067 - 01/07/08 12:16 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
My wife was one of about a million people nationwide who USED to work in the mortgage industry in 2007. Her company finally shut down mid way through last year. She was forced to look for work in another field, which was very unfortunate for her because she was in the mortgage industry for quite a while.

Good luck on your ventures as you explore other opportunities!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#178068 - 01/07/08 12:42 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Sorry to hear that you will bounce back with a better outcome.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#178069 - 01/07/08 03:09 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Ouch, sorry to hear that... Here's to new opportunities and the fact that you're young enough to bounce back pretty easily.

My dad's plant got shut down a year or two back. He was able to take an early retirement plan and get another job to make ends meet. But he's in his 50's with only a highschool level education.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#178070 - 01/07/08 03:44 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
Richard Candelario Offline
Damn sorry to hear that you got laid off. The good news is that you dont have dependants to stress about.

Without knowing if you have any college, I would highly suggest you take this opportunity to get/complete a degree.

Otherwise, good luck hunting down a new job. Hopefully this did happen for a reason, ya know?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#178071 - 01/08/08 11:14 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I've been very fortunate that the plant I work at is farther up the supply chain...by making nylon chip that gets made into thousands of other products we have managed to survive. They have laid off many over the years as they have pared down the workforce. I personally got laid off three times over the first four years I worked there but that was long ago. I do fear suffering the same fate as Slick's dad though.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#178072 - 01/09/08 04:27 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
tazfootball2 Offline
UPDATE: Well they called me back to work today. Yesterday, they called me and asked me if I wanted to be a part of the "Work Pool". They had our teamleaders go out and ask all the other workers who they would like to see come back, and I was at the top of the list. I come into injection molding and see if they have work for me to do. If not, I head back to HR and they call all the other dept's and see if they need any help. If not, they send me home. I know i'm getting jerked around big-time, but i'm only doing it for now, because in 6 days I end up getting a bonus check. Then, I will end up looking elsewhere. But when I come back to work today I found out that 2 of my work buddies got a call from Honda. Over there they are going to start out at $14.XX and in 2 years they will bump you up to $18.XX with a way to gain more in raises. Being 20, that's not too shabby! Hopefully i'm next on the list. smile

#178073 - 01/09/08 04:39 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
My wifes hours were just cut back from 38 a week to 10!!!!

The Toys R Us in Kennesaw is projected for $3000 a day sales durring the week and $5000 on saturdays. Not nearly enough to pay all the employees. Luckily (job wise not health)next week she has to take two weeks off for surgery (having her gall bladder removed do to gall stones)so hopefully a bunch of peeps will quit and she get her hours back or else it's back to searching for a new job.
#178074 - 01/09/08 05:01 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
tazfootball2 Offline
WOW 10 hours a week. It's almost like, what's the point. The economy SUCKS!!!!

#178075 - 01/09/08 05:17 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
That's why she's hopin some people quit cause she needs to work at a min about 25 hours a week for our fun money. My salary alone barely makes the bills and food.
#178076 - 01/11/08 03:12 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
tazfootball2 Offline
NEW UPDATE: BEST NEWS YET!!!

HONDA just called me today!!!! Of course they called while I was at work, so I called them back, but they had left for the day. But now I am sooo excited! Can't wait to hear what they have to say!!!!

#178077 - 01/11/08 05:08 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Here's hopin for good news.
#178078 - 01/11/08 05:29 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I'm pretty sure its good news.

However, I still say go back to school to get a higher degree or next degree up, especially if the job can pay for it. Its somewhat a double edged sword as you may be "over qualified" for certain a few jobs but its worth it.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#178079 - 01/11/08 05:58 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
tazfootball2 Offline
Thats my intent, to tell them that i am willing to work for them and have them pay for schooling. I completed my freshmen year in Business. I'm willing to complete my degree and move up in the company. But lets work on getting the job first. I think 23,000 people applied for only 2000 availible postions!

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/TUBMUT2HAO65L5VHO

#178080 - 01/11/08 09:09 PM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
20gtp02 Offline
My girlfriend got laid off couple weeks ago from AutoNation (Autoway Nissan of Clearwater). Said they are restructuring. And she was HR!

#178081 - 01/12/08 12:20 AM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
dude i would hate being laid off, my gma got laid off a few weeks ago, she's almost 80 but she's very witty and know's what she's doing. She was a secretary for a man that owned 50 hotels on the beach in florida. Then the company got bought and she got laid off in the rollover. They gave her the worst severance package ever for a 30 year employee, but as soon as she said "my attorney" they took the contract and rewrote it... So they were taking advantage of her. She could sue for age discrimination and be pulling in the big bucks, but who knows... good luck with the honda plant,

hey taz have you checked out the indycgp.com forum yet? it's the indy grand prix club, i keep asking and i still dont see you on there... GRRRR!!!!!

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#178082 - 01/12/08 10:12 AM Re: Automotive Industry Falls.....Laid Off!!!
tazfootball2 Offline
sorry man, i think i signed up on INDYCGP.com, i've just spent most my time on this forum, i'll have to shoot over there soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >