Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178563 - 07/25/05 03:37 PM Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Ok I feel like being a little grumpy thanks to my mother-in-law. So, let's make a list of things that people do, or don't do, to their cars that irk you. I'll begin...

1. Go from R to D without actually stopping the car. They're friggin' opposite gears and yet I know several people that do it every single time they go in reverse.

2. People that don't know how to change a tire. I'm not saying go out and do it to prove anything, but at least know how so you don't have to be broken down in a bad neighborhood at 11:30pm and have to be totally dependent on some sleazy tow truck driver or mechanic

3. People that figure they don't need to check their fluids or tire pressure until "something is wrong". 'An ounce of prevention...' as the saying goes.

4. Let your car "warm-up" and it doesn't matter what the temp is, at least let the oil get moving for thirty friggin seconds before you go tearing off

Alright, those are all things my mother-in-law does that drive me nuts, so what are some things people you know do, or don't, to their cars you can't stand?

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#178564 - 07/25/05 04:12 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Parents who don't put their kids in seatbelts.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#178565 - 07/25/05 04:17 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by DoberManJT:

1. Go from R to D without actually stopping the car. They're friggin' opposite gears and yet I know several people that do it every single time they go in reverse.
Does this apply to standards?
#178566 - 07/25/05 04:47 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Caesar Offline
Loc: Michigan
How about people who don't use their turn signals.

Or the ones who use them but only after changing lanes (my brother was guilty of this for years).

And my two biggest pet peaves:

Allowing the passenger to put their feet on the dashboard (or out the window) while driving (not safe, and just nasty).

Not "giving the wave" when someone lets you in.
#178567 - 07/25/05 07:23 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
1) On Trannys that are not electronically controlled, I did this all the time. I just timed it right. Hit R&D when I'm at a craw to a stop and move on out. Ironically, I had no problems with the trannies.

3) Yea, that is a habit I should get into.

4) One person I know used to zoom hard out of the parking lot 2 seconds after he started the car. I prefer to circulate the oil at idle (low RPM) for abou 10-30 seconds. I warm up the car by driving it.

The thing I hate is passengers telling you how to drive when you've been doing it for years.
"Flick on your turn signal."
"Lights green. Go."
"You're too close to the center lane."
"Drive further away from the car."
"Don't Park here."
"Get in the left lane."
"Stop looking at my older sister that way."

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#178568 - 07/25/05 11:03 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
People who use their car as a trash can (my wife and worst of all, my mother-in-law).

Door slammers. mad mad

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#178569 - 07/25/05 11:28 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
What about people that grab the door by the door trim at the bottom of the window to close the door, then SLAM the door like they were shutting the door on a '52 Ford with hinges that are out of align. hammer
#178570 - 07/26/05 12:38 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
Door slammers. mad mad
My pet PEEVE! One of the door panels in the back worked loose because of that. banghead

Actually, anyone who has the nerve to hitch a ride with you and treat your car like dirt deserves to be thrown out of the window before they can do too much damage.
#178571 - 07/26/05 12:51 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
1)people who never wash their cars and give the excuse "it gets washed when it rains"

2) people who as my father used to say "drive the front half of the car"...they turn corners and either run the back wheels through the gutter or just plain hop the curb.

3)people with no depth perception...and when they drive trucks or vans (or SUVs) they leave the nose or the azz end sticking out of parking spaces...and while we're on the subject of parking lots, how about folks who wont put shopping carts away...they push them off and let them roll into other cars...these people I would like to pick up a shopping cart and chuck it through their windshield.

4) people who try and squeeze their big butt SUV into a compact car space and say nothing to their kids when they get out and bang your car with the doors...or you park your car way out in the eastern egypt part of the parking lot so no one messes with it, and when you come out some dizzy skunk is crammed up right next to you.

5) people who come to a dead stop when there are no stop signs, stop completely in travel lanes before making a right turn and come to a complete halt on the freeway onramp...what are these people thinking?...you need a top fuel dragster to merge into traffic from a dead stop...they wait for an opening from here to China...its called the acceleration lane for a reason.

I could go on but I'll just get ticked if I do (just breathe)

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#178572 - 07/26/05 12:58 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
1) i hate when people bring dirt into my car. that includes brushing their feet across the black trim around the door opening. i HATE that.

2) when people keep up speed right up to the red light in front of them, then brake hard. or just NEVER coasting.

3) people who dont change their oil and then laugh about it and admit they never do.

4) no turn signals when they're turning off of the road or changing lanes right in front of you. i like to let off the gas much before i have to brake for somebody turning in front of me. that helps ruin fuel economy and it makes me feel like their stealing my money! crazy
#178573 - 07/26/05 02:33 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
1) People who drive big SUVs because they "I need one" and complain about gas prices.

2) Folks who bring their food + paper/actual dishes and utensils inside the car to finish eating.

3) Dudes driving with red hats to the back with big wings and a unpainted, misaligned body kit, driving real fast around folks.

I like folks who try to get at me by putting their high beams on even though I didn't do anything.
*presses auto-dimmer*
ahhh....

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#178574 - 07/26/05 08:33 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Great list going so far! It took me nearly two years to get my fiance to understand the difference between "firmly closing" a door and "slamming" and she was also guilty of eating in cars and depositing trash - those habits didn't last long in my cars thankfully but her sentra is a wasteland.

As for big SUVs - I think there should be a special license test required if you are going to drive a vehicle over a certain height and width. Not trying to be a dick but seriously people need to relearn some driving basics when you're in a vehicle over a certain size

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#178575 - 07/26/05 10:07 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
"Stop looking at my older sister that way."
lol
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#178576 - 07/26/05 11:33 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
all of the above plus
1) kids with a POS car that thinks its teh fastest car ever. cowboy

3) run up on a car and then slam on the brakes kooky

6) and last but not least people who cant drive while talking on there cell phones or eating. no

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#178577 - 07/26/05 02:44 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
The ever popular moron that pulls out in front of you when there is nobody behind you. If he can wait 1 second, he'll have clear road behind you.

People who pull out in a multi lane road and he pulls out in your lane while the other lane is clear. If he would pull out in the clear lane, your lane would remain clear.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >