Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178563 - 07/25/05 03:37 PM Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Ok I feel like being a little grumpy thanks to my mother-in-law. So, let's make a list of things that people do, or don't do, to their cars that irk you. I'll begin...

1. Go from R to D without actually stopping the car. They're friggin' opposite gears and yet I know several people that do it every single time they go in reverse.

2. People that don't know how to change a tire. I'm not saying go out and do it to prove anything, but at least know how so you don't have to be broken down in a bad neighborhood at 11:30pm and have to be totally dependent on some sleazy tow truck driver or mechanic

3. People that figure they don't need to check their fluids or tire pressure until "something is wrong". 'An ounce of prevention...' as the saying goes.

4. Let your car "warm-up" and it doesn't matter what the temp is, at least let the oil get moving for thirty friggin seconds before you go tearing off

Alright, those are all things my mother-in-law does that drive me nuts, so what are some things people you know do, or don't, to their cars you can't stand?

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#178564 - 07/25/05 04:12 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Parents who don't put their kids in seatbelts.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#178565 - 07/25/05 04:17 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by DoberManJT:

1. Go from R to D without actually stopping the car. They're friggin' opposite gears and yet I know several people that do it every single time they go in reverse.
Does this apply to standards?
#178566 - 07/25/05 04:47 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Caesar Offline
Loc: Michigan
How about people who don't use their turn signals.

Or the ones who use them but only after changing lanes (my brother was guilty of this for years).

And my two biggest pet peaves:

Allowing the passenger to put their feet on the dashboard (or out the window) while driving (not safe, and just nasty).

Not "giving the wave" when someone lets you in.
#178567 - 07/25/05 07:23 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
1) On Trannys that are not electronically controlled, I did this all the time. I just timed it right. Hit R&D when I'm at a craw to a stop and move on out. Ironically, I had no problems with the trannies.

3) Yea, that is a habit I should get into.

4) One person I know used to zoom hard out of the parking lot 2 seconds after he started the car. I prefer to circulate the oil at idle (low RPM) for abou 10-30 seconds. I warm up the car by driving it.

The thing I hate is passengers telling you how to drive when you've been doing it for years.
"Flick on your turn signal."
"Lights green. Go."
"You're too close to the center lane."
"Drive further away from the car."
"Don't Park here."
"Get in the left lane."
"Stop looking at my older sister that way."

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#178568 - 07/25/05 11:03 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
People who use their car as a trash can (my wife and worst of all, my mother-in-law).

Door slammers. mad mad

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#178569 - 07/25/05 11:28 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
What about people that grab the door by the door trim at the bottom of the window to close the door, then SLAM the door like they were shutting the door on a '52 Ford with hinges that are out of align. hammer
#178570 - 07/26/05 12:38 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
Door slammers. mad mad
My pet PEEVE! One of the door panels in the back worked loose because of that. banghead

Actually, anyone who has the nerve to hitch a ride with you and treat your car like dirt deserves to be thrown out of the window before they can do too much damage.
#178571 - 07/26/05 12:51 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
1)people who never wash their cars and give the excuse "it gets washed when it rains"

2) people who as my father used to say "drive the front half of the car"...they turn corners and either run the back wheels through the gutter or just plain hop the curb.

3)people with no depth perception...and when they drive trucks or vans (or SUVs) they leave the nose or the azz end sticking out of parking spaces...and while we're on the subject of parking lots, how about folks who wont put shopping carts away...they push them off and let them roll into other cars...these people I would like to pick up a shopping cart and chuck it through their windshield.

4) people who try and squeeze their big butt SUV into a compact car space and say nothing to their kids when they get out and bang your car with the doors...or you park your car way out in the eastern egypt part of the parking lot so no one messes with it, and when you come out some dizzy skunk is crammed up right next to you.

5) people who come to a dead stop when there are no stop signs, stop completely in travel lanes before making a right turn and come to a complete halt on the freeway onramp...what are these people thinking?...you need a top fuel dragster to merge into traffic from a dead stop...they wait for an opening from here to China...its called the acceleration lane for a reason.

I could go on but I'll just get ticked if I do (just breathe)

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#178572 - 07/26/05 12:58 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
1) i hate when people bring dirt into my car. that includes brushing their feet across the black trim around the door opening. i HATE that.

2) when people keep up speed right up to the red light in front of them, then brake hard. or just NEVER coasting.

3) people who dont change their oil and then laugh about it and admit they never do.

4) no turn signals when they're turning off of the road or changing lanes right in front of you. i like to let off the gas much before i have to brake for somebody turning in front of me. that helps ruin fuel economy and it makes me feel like their stealing my money! crazy
#178573 - 07/26/05 02:33 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
TastyBake Offline
1) People who drive big SUVs because they "I need one" and complain about gas prices.

2) Folks who bring their food + paper/actual dishes and utensils inside the car to finish eating.

3) Dudes driving with red hats to the back with big wings and a unpainted, misaligned body kit, driving real fast around folks.

I like folks who try to get at me by putting their high beams on even though I didn't do anything.
*presses auto-dimmer*
ahhh....

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#178574 - 07/26/05 08:33 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Great list going so far! It took me nearly two years to get my fiance to understand the difference between "firmly closing" a door and "slamming" and she was also guilty of eating in cars and depositing trash - those habits didn't last long in my cars thankfully but her sentra is a wasteland.

As for big SUVs - I think there should be a special license test required if you are going to drive a vehicle over a certain height and width. Not trying to be a dick but seriously people need to relearn some driving basics when you're in a vehicle over a certain size

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#178575 - 07/26/05 10:07 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
framos242 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
"Stop looking at my older sister that way."
lol
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

#178576 - 07/26/05 11:33 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
all of the above plus
1) kids with a POS car that thinks its teh fastest car ever. cowboy

3) run up on a car and then slam on the brakes kooky

6) and last but not least people who cant drive while talking on there cell phones or eating. no

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#178577 - 07/26/05 02:44 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
AustinGTP Offline
The ever popular moron that pulls out in front of you when there is nobody behind you. If he can wait 1 second, he'll have clear road behind you.

People who pull out in a multi lane road and he pulls out in your lane while the other lane is clear. If he would pull out in the clear lane, your lane would remain clear.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#178578 - 07/26/05 03:21 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
framos242 Offline
Got one better Austin,

the driver who pulls right in front of you and then slows down with no other car in front of him/her.

#178579 - 07/26/05 04:10 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
Wow, always wanted to rant about this type of thing.

First off, door slammers, hate them, yell at them, never works.

Second off, people too lazy to walk to a cart corral and put their cart in it. I used to push carts at a grocery store, and you won't believe the dents and dings I've seen made by carts, plus it was more work for me when someone didn't put it in the cart corral. B*stards.

Third, People scuffing up your door panels/all plastic trim with they're shoes, especially when their shoes are dirty. My sister likes to use her shoe to open my door from the inside, resulting in a nice big scuff print right after i just armor alled the interior.

People who: Think your car is a seat/sit on the hood, trunk, etc. or lean against your panels.

People who put as many hand prints as possible on the door in the process of opening it.

People who drive in the fast lane on a 2 lane one way road, even if someone(me) is riding about 3 feet from their rear bumper because they're going 5 or 10 MPH UNDER the speed limit.

People cut you off to the point that they almost rip the front bumper off your car, then go the same speed you are, so you actually have to hit your brakes to keep from rear ending them.

People who can't keep their cars between the lines...It's not that hard.

Beautiful young ladies driving their husbands $50,000 Escalade or Suburban, but can't park it worth sh*t.

The list goes on and on, can't wait to see some others.

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#178580 - 07/26/05 05:14 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
my number one pet peeve about other drivers is when they don't realize that if they just take their foot off the gas the car will decelerate so they can maintain a certain speed. I'm talking about those people that when traveling down a straight road at say 35 mph they are constantly on the gas on the brake on the gas on the brake on the gas on the brake.

Number one pet peeve for passengers is feet on the dash!!! Is there carpet on there? No!! so feet don't belong do they!!!
#178581 - 07/26/05 06:11 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
AustinGTP Offline
...not to mention if something were to happen and the pass air bag went off, they'd have their toes jammed in their eyes before they knew what happend.

#178582 - 07/27/05 02:52 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
TrishGTP Offline
Ok you guys are sooo right about all of those things...they eat at me all the time. Here are some of the main things that make me mad!!
1. People who are leaving a parking lot and decide to wait to last minute to pull out in front of you, like they never saw you coming, and then go as slow as they possibly can. mad
2. I can not stand people who pay absolutely no attention to the road...ie talking on the cell phone....or just plain stupid!!
3. This will sound weird coming from me (a girl) I have never met another girl who knows how to drive. All the girls I know do everything on here that y'all hate. I believe and have been told I'm the only girl any guy knows that knows how to really drive! wink but who knows... (i did grow up with my dad driving, well practically racing everywhere...I guess I learned from the best!!!!!) Therefore I hate girl drivers!!!!!
4. People who cut you off and then when they are already in your lane turn their blinker on...
5. And the biggest of all.....all the older women who drive SUV's but really don't know how to handle a car that big....and all ways has a cell phone glued to her ear....(every woman here in this area have a suv and a phone glued to their ear...)
Well there is my 2 cents on that!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/857201
#178583 - 07/27/05 05:04 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
how bout when you got the cruise set and come up on a car, then right as you are next to him, he floors it, like he's saying " I'll be G*&&^%$ED if YOU are going to pass me, F&^%$R. that REALLY pisses me off, more later

Oh wait I for got one: Dads you're gonna love this: the infamous "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?........)
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#178584 - 07/27/05 10:26 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I'm pretty tolerant and relaxed about most stuff. The main things that bug me are:

1. People that turn out in front of you when there is NO ONE for miles behind you. I ususally floor it and pass these people.

2. People who don't use blinkers. We aren't psychics. Simple communication of where you are aiming your 2,500 lb vehicle is all I ask.

3. People who slam on their brakes BEFORE they pull over into a turn lane. Turn lanes are long so that you can get over, then decelerate. Every day I go to work on a 55 mph road with a left turn lane that runs the length of the highway. And, every morning I get stuck behind some nut job who has to use their brakes to get down to 35 (and almost causes a wreck behind us as cars pile up) just so they can get into the turn lane.

Whew. I think that's all. Food in the car does bug me, but normally I don't let people bring food or drinks in my car.

I've never had anyone put their feet on the dash or not wear a seatbelt or slam my doors. Call me lucky.
#178585 - 07/27/05 10:50 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Arcxnus Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by TrishGTP:
5. And the biggest of all.....all the older women who drive SUV's but really don't know how to handle a car that big....and all ways has a cell phone glued to her ear....(every woman here in this area have a suv and a phone glued to their ear...)
I'm gonna put this with the people who "need" and SUV then complain about it, because it's usually them. So.obnoxious. That's just dumb people in general. I'm afraid my mom almost became one of those people when we traded the Cadillac in and she wanted an Explorer. Me and my dad just kinda looked at her and he got her a Sierra Z71. lol

I'm inclined to agree with the girl drivers thing, too, even though I'm a girl and I'm guilty of doing some dumb things too, but we're all guilty of it, even if only once. It's just that most girls aren't interested in cars because of the stereotype of "it's a guy thing" and they're afraid of being different or something. *shrug* I wonder how many accidents could have been avoided just by knowing a few things about the car you're driving ..
#178586 - 07/27/05 08:51 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
Start post about what you do not like. crazy

Joke
#178587 - 07/27/05 09:54 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
TastyBake Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Arcxnus:

I'm inclined to agree with the girl drivers thing, too, even though I'm a girl and I'm guilty of doing some dumb things too, but we're all guilty of it, even if only once. It's just that most girls aren't interested in cars because of the stereotype of "it's a guy thing" and they're afraid of being different or something. *shrug* I wonder how many accidents could have been avoided just by knowing a few things about the car you're driving ..
I rather have folks kown defensive driving than know what a S/C does. If some knew that, there would be more accidents.

[GONE]
#178588 - 07/27/05 11:20 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Arcxnus Offline
Well .. I didn't mean it in the MY KAR GO FAST LOL way. lol I meant as in, its limitations and not being stupid in it. Some people just don't respect their cars, and in turn, don't respect others'.
#178589 - 07/28/05 05:39 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I've got a new one.

I was going 60 today in the right hand lane (55 mph). Woman behind me decides to pass, so I'm ok with that, I'm in no hurry to get to work.

She waves when she cuts in front of me as if to say "thanks" and I figure she just was in a hurry to get on the highway.

But then the psycho slams on her brakes and makes a hard right for a drive thru espresso stand.

I was fuming. I still cannot believe she needed her espresso that bad that she couldn't stay behind me for half a mile...especially when I was going 5 over the speed limit.
#178590 - 07/29/05 01:21 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
that happens alot here in waco most people dont seem to be able to read signs that say exit 1/4 mile as they are going 90 and get pissed when you dont slam on your brakes to let them suddenly change lanes or if your in the right lane they will pass you then cut across traffic suddenly at the last possible moment to get on the exit ramp.

#178591 - 07/29/05 01:37 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Dementeddj Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:
that happens alot here in waco most people dont seem to be able to read signs that say exit 1/4 mile as they are going 90 and get pissed when you dont slam on your brakes to let them suddenly change lanes or if your in the right lane they will pass you then cut across traffic suddenly at the last possible moment to get on the exit ramp.
Man if the drivers in texas are that bad, then maybe I'll revoke my inquiry at work to transfer to Waco crazy
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#178592 - 07/29/05 03:55 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
dont come to waco it is one of the worst places that you could think of living. people that live here dont think that it is that bad but we have one of the highest STD rates in the country. Texas State Technical College here in Waco is rated number one for technical schools with HIV. Mclennan community college is infested with the clap and Baylor has every known STD by plus 12 only known in sharks... kooky

#178593 - 08/03/05 03:37 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Dementeddj Offline
I don't think that I'll move there thumbsup , just possibly be transfered there to help get things up and running for maybe a month, then come back here and go back to the normal swing of things laugh laugh laugh
#178594 - 08/12/05 10:37 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
01redfireGTP Offline
Loc: Indiana
I can't stand ppl who think the fast lane is a turn lane instead of getting into the center median that is profoundly marked as the lane you use for turning.

oh yeah...and I also can't stand door slammers who deny being door slammers... hammer

Custom Intake, Autolite 104s, 180* T-stat, Clear Corners, Custom Grilles, Pulley Boys 3.4 Pulley, Gauges, Angel Eye Fogs, DHP 1.0v PCM, 3" DP and cat & u-bend delete...
#178595 - 08/13/05 09:35 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 01redfireGTP:

oh yeah...and I also can't stand door slammers who deny being door slammers... hammer
Me too why can't they just say oops sorry? No they have to say (with a whine to the voice)I didn't slam the door.
#178596 - 08/13/05 10:10 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
realdaytona500pacecar Offline
Loc: Chicago
People who drive drunk, and people who drive LIKE they are drunk.

People behind you in the next lane WHO SPEED UP when you signal to switch lanes. WTF!!!

My wife ALWAYS says "Stay in your lane" when there are multiple turning lanes.

Every ricered out HONDA that pulls up next to me thinks I am just driving the car TO RACE THEM. I guess it is because I have more stickers on my car than they have on theirs. My lack of a cofffee can exhaust does not seem to deter them.
#178597 - 08/13/05 10:46 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Quote:
Originally posted by 01redfireGTP:
[b]
Me too why can't they just say oops sorry? No they have to say (with a whine to the voice)I didn't slam the door. [/b]
I've always thought, theres no way to say someone don't slam your doors without being rude, or seem overacted...at least in spanish i haven't found the way and don't receive a reject glance from my wife, friends, family...even saying please. So when someone slams my doors i just say, "are you sure it got closed??"

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#178598 - 08/13/05 05:33 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Dementeddj Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex:
...even saying please. So when someone slams my doors i just say, "are you sure it got closed??"
ROFLMAOlol lol lol lol lol

I do the same thing, only I say to them, "Dude, it's a God @#%$ed good thing that your fingers weren't in there, cause you'd be a dead SOB!!!!!"
#178599 - 08/16/05 02:50 AM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
HawkeyeSG Offline
Loc: Sioux City, Iowa
people who park on the line in parking lots... I have a friend who drove an old POS Buick and he used to park as close as possible to people who did that. I have spent many a miles with him driving around parking lots looking for that one car that is parked on the line.

I think its funny.
#178600 - 08/16/05 04:35 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
BonnevilleLover Offline
Loc: Kuwait/Iraq
Hi all, back from beyond. smile

Things that drivers do that tick me off:

1) When they act all upset that I am trying to pass them. I mean I'm nice about it mostly and hail my cup of coffee or electric shaver in thanks.

2) When I am on the phone and trying to read some directions, while driving with my knee. I hate it when people honk at me. I mean come on, I realize im in the wrong lane but have YOU ever tried to drive only with a knee? It's harder than you think.

3) When im cutting in traffic and busy on the phone. PARDON ME for forgeting to give "the wave" after you catch up to me at 90mph after getting out of the ditch. Grow up.

:-)
#178601 - 08/16/05 04:51 PM Re: Things that people do with/to cars that irk you...
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
When people walk ON your hood just because you are over the walk zone on a corner

My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >