Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178794 - 07/12/10 11:52 AM Jeep won't go in reverse
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
So my family has a "backup vehicle" which so happens to be a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I finally got battery charged after cleaning the terminals. The oil is changed often in it and has a bypass filter as well. The oil levels are fine and the transmission fluid is now filled and ok. The vehicle still will not accelerate into reverse. It just will rev up and feel like it is starting to go backwards but will not go anywhere. Parking brake is not engaged but it does feel like it is in a way.

I need some advice on this. I can't tell if the jeep can go forward because it is up against the garage wall and can't go forward. Maybe I should put in neutral and see if I can push back and then try to go forward?

Jeep has roughly 230k miles on it.

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#178795 - 07/12/10 12:01 PM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
Those year jeeps are just dumps with the 4.0 i6. Head gaskets go all day on those, transfer cases blow.

But onto your issue, if it does go forward and not in reverse, sounds like a band/clutch pack is worn down and wont grab.

Easier way to say you need a trans rebuild.
#178796 - 07/12/10 12:05 PM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
Those year jeeps are just dumps with the 4.0 i6. Head gaskets go all day on those, transfer cases blow.

But onto your issue, if it does go forward and not in reverse, sounds like a band/clutch pack is worn down and wont grab.

Maybe this jeep is an exception, but the 4.0 v6 in this has been nothing but good to us. Never had leaks (or heads leak). Only real leak that has been on it was transmission leak which ended up being a seal. The vehicle was never serviced for anything major. I myself wouldn't call them dumps but to each his own.

Don't think that I'm saying this jeep doesn't have a big issue at the moment though, because it certainly does.

#178797 - 07/12/10 01:28 PM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
If it feels like the parking brake is engaged, put it in N and see if it will roll. If it rolls, it's not related to the parking brake, if it stays put, the parking brake might just be stuck.
#178798 - 07/12/10 02:18 PM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
GTPCompG Offline
Well trying by myself I wasn't able to make it budge in neutral (will try with more people later).

When the vehicle is on and I put it in drive go forward just a little, then put in reverse it makes a click noise then locks up.

What concerns me is even when my parking brake has been on before in other cars it was able to move a little bit when accelerating. Even under heavy acceleration it will not budge at all.

#178799 - 07/12/10 02:21 PM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
ChrisGT Offline
Loc: Cranston, RI
Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:

lmao 4.0 jeep motors are some of the strongest motors ever built. Shit you can throw sand in em and they'll run even better lmao.

04 GTO M6 | HE SS Clutch | Kooks LT's | SLP LM2 | K&N
Soon: APS TT kit wink

SOLD \/
01 GT | STr5 cam | PT-67 | 18-22psi

#178800 - 07/12/10 04:43 PM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Yeah, only issue I've ever heard with the 4.0 is rear main seals. Otherwise they're one of the better engines out there for reliability.
#178801 - 07/12/10 09:06 PM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
First of all, what fluid did you use? Mopar transmissions MUST use ATF +4!!! No universal fluid, PERIOD!

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

The 4.0 inline 6 is the Slant 6 of the modern age. The only issues I or my Jeep friends have ever had is radiator core leaking where plastic tanks meet copper core and exhaust manifolds cracking, but those are not with the engine. My wife's 97 Wrangler 4.0 was sold to a co-worker. The engine has 200K on it with no issues. The trans had 4th gear syncro go out a few years ago. I know it was from my wife slamming it into forth as she motored onto the highway at rush hour each day. She loved to hear that header and dynomax ultraflow muffler sing. LOL
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#178802 - 07/13/10 12:27 AM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 72chevman:
First of all, what fluid did you use? Mopar transmissions MUST use ATF +4!!! No universal fluid, PERIOD!

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

The 4.0 inline 6 is the Slant 6 of the modern age. The only issues I or my Jeep friends have ever had is radiator core leaking where plastic tanks meet copper core and exhaust manifolds cracking, but those are not with the engine. My wife's 97 Wrangler 4.0 was sold to a co-worker. The engine has 200K on it with no issues. The trans had 4th gear syncro go out a few years ago. I know it was from my wife slamming it into forth as she motored onto the highway at rush hour each day. She loved to hear that header and dynomax ultraflow muffler sing. LOL
Don't worry chevman. I'm not too familiar with the platform but I did read the manual. Said to use ATF +4 so I got that. I let it get up to operating temp, went threw the gears, then ended in neutral w/ parking brake on and checked it. The fluid was at the bottom of the OK section so I filled it to top. I let it run for a bit and tried to reverse and still no go.

If I wasn't tired from work I would go out there with someone and try to push it back in neutral but I'll save that for tomorrow.

I'm going to laugh if it is just parking brake, and rage if it is tranny kooky

#178803 - 07/13/10 12:33 AM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
Good on you. Most people think tranny fluid is tranny fluid and end up trashing their mopar trans. My best friend is mopar thru and thru and preaches the ATF +4 to everyone he knows that buys a mopar product. He goes as far to tell them to take it to the dealer for trans fluid changes just to ensure it gets the right fluid and to keep their warranty cause they are know for trans problems. Up until 4-5 years ago, you could not even buy ATF +4 anywhere but a dealer.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#178804 - 07/13/10 06:06 PM Re: Jeep won't go in reverse
Dthreap Offline
Loc: Canal Fulton, OH
I cant imagine that jeep is that heavy.. I can push my gp out of the garage which is a slight slope up. Hopefully you just have a parking brake with a death grip.