A lot of folks can't understand

how we came to have

an oil shortage here in our country.

~~~

Well, there's a very simple answer.

~~~

Nobody bothered to check the oil.

~~~

We just didn't know we were getting low.

~~~

The reason for that is purely geographical.

~~~

Our OIL is located in

~~~

ALASKA

~~~

California

~~~

Coastal Florida

~~~

Coastal Louisiana

~~~

Kansas

~~~

Oklahoma

~~~

Pennsylvania

and

Texas

~~~

~~~

Our

DIPSTICKS

are located in

Washington DC

Any Questions?

I got this in an E-Mail today.

#179609 - 09/05/05 09:38 PM Re: oil shortage
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
hey you forgot michigan , theres lots of little oil pumps in the upper :p

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#179610 - 09/05/05 10:23 PM Re: oil shortage
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
The head dipstick in wash dc wants to hit up alaska. its the 'others' that oppose it
#179611 - 09/06/05 12:11 AM Re: oil shortage
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
someday everybody on this planet has got to realize that this is a finite resource. Why the blazes has the head dipstick let US automakers run wild building full size, V8 powered trucks and SUVs while the rest of the world drives more efficent vehicles. They've been paying the kind of prices we face now for years. Just because we are a free country doesnt give us the right to cook the resources for the whole world. we have the technology to build far more efficent gas vehicles before we ever get into hybrids and hydrogen...but the automakers dig the big profits they get from luxo SUVs (they dont give a hoot if they wont be worth a plug nickel on trade with the gas this high)...and the oil barons are major contributors to the head dipstick (and the vice dipstick) and all of them want more $$$ for themselves...aint it convienent to get the public to fund your very own retirement plan.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#179612 - 09/06/05 06:53 AM Re: oil shortage
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You nailed we are a free country who can build what we want, buy what we want etc. Most of the vehicles in Europe are diesel powered. They are still on the fossil fuel as well. Until US buyers get over the paradigm that diesels are noisey and dirty we won't have small diesel powered cars here.
#179613 - 09/06/05 07:27 AM Re: oil shortage
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
You can't blame the head dipstick for this. His job is to supply us with what we need. If the US people buy huge gas guzzlers, then he needs to find oil for us to use. If we all switch to electric cars, then the gov't needs to deal with our electric energy supply. Can't blame anyone but us.

Etienne Lenoir didn't use any gov't money to invent the internal combustion engine, I don't know why some people expect the gov't to help invent any other kind of engine.

And the public does fund your retirement plan, it's called social security.
#179614 - 09/06/05 07:17 PM Re: oil shortage
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'm not trying to argue here...just a little counterpoint...the government isnt expected to invent new engines or fuels. But when the President allows a law to be passed exempting light trucks from CAFE averages, that is something he could have stopped with a veto. If the goverment doesnt regulate the businesses then they will go all out for profit and worry about resources later. The goverment doesnt have to provide someting to the public when its wasteful or just plain indulgent. Their job is to consider the best interest of the entire nation, not just the top 20 percent income bracket. Social Security is paid for by you and your employers. They pay matching funds to what is deducted from your pay. If you went your whole life and worked for cash under the table, when you reach 62 you would get nothing (I've seen this happen)...My complaint is that the President and his family and friends are very big in the oil industry. I think they are too often looking out for themselves ina very short term mentality. There are plenty of us in the generations behind him that would like to have some resources left for us and our descendants. There are many other methods for heating and generating electricty that could and would get utilized in the government would mandate a timetable for companies to make the switch. Precious few of them will do it on their own. I know the one I work for wont change things unless the law or the market forces it.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#179615 - 09/07/05 01:49 PM Re: oil shortage
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
someday everybody on this planet has got to realize that this is a finite resource. Why the blazes has the head dipstick let US automakers run wild building full size, V8 powered trucks and SUVs while the rest of the world drives more efficent vehicles. They've been paying the kind of prices we face now for years. Just because we are a free country doesnt give us the right to cook the resources for the whole world. we have the technology to build far more efficent gas vehicles before we ever get into hybrids and hydrogen...but the automakers dig the big profits they get from luxo SUVs (they dont give a hoot if they wont be worth a plug nickel on trade with the gas this high)...and the oil barons are major contributors to the head dipstick (and the vice dipstick) and all of them want more $$$ for themselves...aint it convienent to get the public to fund your very own retirement plan.
Why has the government let US automakers make big V8s? Because we kept asking them to make big cars.

The US automakers build based on demand. Lots of Americans wanted and still want SUVs with V8 and big cars. We hate little cars thinking they don't represent our American automotive heritage. We gotta have that V8 sound. I knew that when gas prices slowly went up for whatever reason people will start blaming the auto industry. Of course, I didn't expect the hurricane to happen.

Its one of those times where we have no choice but to point the finger at us. Heck, a lot of folks still think hybrids are weak/pointless as they don't recoop costs.

Heck, look at the trend now. We are getting more V8 options in cars now than 10 yrs ago. They are more fuel efficient but not by a whole lot.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#179616 - 09/07/05 02:00 PM Re: oil shortage
TastyBake Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
I'm not trying to argue here...just a little counterpoint...the government isnt expected to invent new engines or fuels. But when the President allows a law to be passed exempting light trucks from CAFE averages, that is something he could have stopped with a veto. If the goverment doesnt regulate the businesses then they will go all out for profit and worry about resources later. The goverment doesnt have to provide someting to the public when its wasteful or just plain indulgent. Their job is to consider the best interest of the entire nation, not just the top 20 percent income bracket. Social Security is paid for by you and your employers. They pay matching funds to what is deducted from your pay. If you went your whole life and worked for cash under the table, when you reach 62 you would get nothing (I've seen this happen)...My complaint is that the President and his family and friends are very big in the oil industry. I think they are too often looking out for themselves ina very short term mentality. There are plenty of us in the generations behind him that would like to have some resources left for us and our descendants. There are many other methods for heating and generating electricty that could and would get utilized in the government would mandate a timetable for companies to make the switch. Precious few of them will do it on their own. I know the one I work for wont change things unless the law or the market forces it.
Actually, it wasn't the oil industry or the rich, it was more-so small businesses. Exempting trucks can help small businesses grow.
The oil industry does gain from this approach, obviously.

Maybe its time we change things. Maybe we can have resources left behind for our decendants if we actually buy alternative fuel cars. Make it cool and patriotic. Since alternative fuels don't provide the power of gasoline, they're stupid.

Overall, people won't do anything unless it effects them directly. Yea, resources are depleting but we didn't feel it. Now that gas prices rose because of the recent agreed-upon gouging, we say "Hey, I want to continue to live like I did before! Find cheaper fuel!" We're still not focused on resources.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#179617 - 09/07/05 02:02 PM Re: oil shortage
TastyBake Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
You nailed we are a free country who can build what we want, buy what we want etc. Most of the vehicles in Europe are diesel powered. They are still on the fossil fuel as well. Until US buyers get over the paradigm that diesels are noisey and dirty we won't have small diesel powered cars here.
I know bio diesel is used now. Its mixed with regular diesel (5-15% bio). Jeep fills their tank with 2% bio to make a *snicker* statement.

I wouldn't mind using biodiesel.

[GONE]