Rate This Topic
#180494 - 12/29/06 04:49 PM "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
So how many of you saw this coming?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16395647/
--------------------------------------
Hip-hop car stunt claims at least two lives

MODESTO, Calif. - “Ghost riding the whip” — a stunt in which a driver gets out of his car and dances around and on top of the slowly moving vehicle to a thumping hip-hop beat — has gotten at least two people killed, led to numerous injuries and alarmed police on the West Coast and beyond.

A fad among devotees of a West Coast strain of hip-hop music called “hyphy,” the stunt has been celebrated in song and performed in numerous homemade videos posted on YouTube.

“It did not take Einstein to look at this thing and say this was a recipe for disaster,” said Pete Smith, a police spokesman in Stockton. “We could see the potential for great injury or death.”

Earlier this month, Davender Gulley, a ghost-riding 18-year-old, died after his head slammed into a parked car while he was hanging out the window of an SUV in Stockton, police said. In October, a 36-year-old man dancing on top of a moving car fell off, hit his head and died in what authorities said was Canada’s first ghost riding fatality.

The stunt has also led to numerous minor injuries.

Late-night rallies
Hyphy was born in the San Francisco Bay cities of Oakland, Richmond and Vallejo in the late 1990s, and devotees often hold late-night car rallies called “sideshows” where crowds perform risky stunts, including ghost riding.

“Ghost riding” refers to the absence of a driver. “The whip” is urban slang for your car. Typically, the driver drops the car into neutral and dances around and on top of the vehicle while it inches forward.

Sometimes it is a solo act; sometimes a half-dozen or more passengers get out and dance, too. The stunt is usually performed late at night, on a deserted road or in a parking lot.

The Vallejo-bred rapper E-40 introduced mainstream listeners to ghost riding with the single “Tell Me When to Go,” whose lyrics describe how to pull it off. Another single, “Ghostride It,” by Oakland rapper Mistah F.A.B., offers a step-by-step guide: “Pull up. Hop out, all in one motion. Dancing on the hood, while the car still rollin’.”

The antics have gone nationwide thanks in large part to YouTube, where a search for ghost riding turns up hundreds of grainy videos of young people pulling the stunt. The videos were shot from Portland, Ore., to Chicago and many places in between, and judging from the backdrops, the phenomenon has crossed over from the inner city to the suburbs.

‘Mom wasn’t too thrilled’
Joe Calderon, 17, of San Diego, posted a YouTube video of himself dancing alongside his moving, driverless 2005 Mazda. “We love that style of music,” he said. But “my mom wasn’t too thrilled about it.”

Another video shows a man sitting on the roof of his fast-moving pickup truck and leaping clear seconds before it crashes into a telephone pole.

Where record labels see hyphy as hip hop’s next big thing, police see a menace.

Stockton police said they have written more than 1,500 citations and impounded about 400 vehicles since late March for sideshow antics.

The spontaneous nature of the sideshows — which are staged on interstates, in deserted parking lots, and on downtown streets — keeps police guessing. Departments have spent millions in overtime policing the outlaw rallies.

Even F.A.B. concedes that sideshows have gotten out of control. He said he would like to stage sideshows in large arenas where organizers could charge admission.

“It would be like a ghetto NASCAR,” he said.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
#180495 - 12/29/06 05:04 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I new something like that was going to happen, my friend did it to his car and it hit a parked car b/c the car doors locked after he closed the door.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#180496 - 12/29/06 06:03 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Thats completely retarded. Its one thing to risk your own life out of stupidity; completely uncalled for to risk other people's lives.
#180497 - 12/29/06 06:25 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Some people are dangerous enough, when they're behind the wheel of a car... :rolleyes:
#180498 - 12/29/06 09:44 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
Thats just stupid. Looks like these idiots are trying to keep up with the tricks that sport bike riders do. The "christ" or w/e when they stand on top of the moving bike with their arms out like their on a cross.
#180499 - 12/30/06 02:29 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
Somebody got hit in houston when I went home 2yrs ago. My brother was telling me about it.
They were at a car show
#180500 - 12/31/06 12:13 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Darwinism at its best!
#180501 - 01/01/07 03:19 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
Tech Offline
Loc: Garden City, KS
Do what the sited did, go on you tube and type in ghost riding. you can actually see the guy that crashes his red truck and lots of other dumb@$$es
#180502 - 01/01/07 10:10 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I saw that! I couldnt stop laughing! stupidity!
#180503 - 01/01/07 10:33 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
bikrboy128 Offline
Loc: Illinois
i busted that out last week. ghost ridin with my civic hatchback. fun stuff, wouldnt think of doing it in my GTP though no
#180504 - 01/02/07 01:07 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
I don't understand the purpose. Are you suspose to dance next to the car while it idles along? Why not just park it, blast the stereo and dance next to it... what is the reason for letting the vehicle be in motion?

Either I'm not cool enough to get it, too "old" to understand, or just too boring of a person, but that is some hardcore Darwin award-winning stuff.

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#180505 - 01/03/07 01:25 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
That is just about as stupid as car surfing...

All I can say is if you die doing that, natural selection.
#180506 - 01/03/07 01:51 PM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by Tech:
Do what the sited did, go on you tube and type in ghost riding. you can actually see the guy that crashes his red truck and lots of other dumb@$$es
Yeah I did that this morning. There was some funny stuff on youtube. I like the guys from OC California who are making fun of it and acting "gangster". Then the guy does a little rap about putting it in...REVERSE. laugh So then they ghost ride with it in reverse.
#180507 - 01/05/07 03:37 AM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
I cant remember where i saw it last, but this guy was ghost ride'n on the the trunk of his car and a guy on the sidewalk hopped in his ride and proceeded to car jack him......I laughed so hard, I cracked my back..... laugh eek lol lol
#180508 - 01/05/07 09:46 AM Re: "Ghostriding" Claims Two Lives
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon