Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180528 - 06/20/08 07:58 AM The end?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Is the end near for Pontiac?

Quote:
Just recently General Motors announced to stockholders that they were "considering" selling their Hummer division due to rising fuel costs and development costs. GMInsidenews learned earlier today that GM is operating Hummer like they will be for-sure selling it. The GMT-700 H3 program has been canceled entirely and the H4 program is being sustained for the next owner. However that is not the big news here.

GMI also learned that GM is considering killing off one more division; GMC or Pontiac. At the moment the GM Board of Directors is leaning toward killing GMC as the brand is made up entirely of rebadges. The Board is also taking into consideration that GMC is mostly trucks and SUV's, both market segments that slowly dwindling. They are also toying with placing Saturn into the PBG sales channel if they do end up cutting GMC or Pontiac. This would be done in order to increase sales volume in the channel.

Recap: Hummer sounds all but dead internally, another division may not be far off. GMC is the top consideration for cutting, but Pontiac is certainly not far down the list. When GM will decide? We have not been told. Please remember that all of the above are RUMORS and should not be taken as solid fact.
Personally I don't think Buick has to worry because of the global exposure. Buick is the number one selling brand in China. I'm hoping GMC is the one to go. Even though they sell but with the sales of trucks and SUVs to drop out of the bottom I think Chevy is in better position to
"weather the storm"

For Hummer I guess one model H4 isn't enough to maintain a brand. I'd love to see GM bring a vehicle in to compete with the Jeep Wrangler and the H4 has the potential. Maybe they can rebadge it a Chevy lose some of the classic Hummer styling and call it the Blazer.
#180529 - 06/20/08 08:14 AM Re: The end?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I see trucks, SUVs and V-8's in general dying of a slow death, sure trucks will still be needed in the "work force" but as for the general public I don't see them lasting.
With gas prices going out of control, if it doesn't have a 4 cylinder it won't last in sales.

The Holden Ute coming over as a possible G8-ST? Forget about it. It won't happen as a V8.

It's sad to see the death of the V8, and even the V6, but that's what I see within the next 5 years or less if gas prices keep going out of control.

4 cylinders will be selling like hot cakes.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#180530 - 06/20/08 09:45 AM Re: The end?
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
its sad that the gas prices are killing so many bussinesses right now frown

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#180531 - 06/20/08 10:30 AM Re: The end?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Why would they kill Pontiac when they just invested so much in the G8 platform and have built up the G5/G6s? It doesn't make sense. GMC, is, as they stated, all rebadges. Nothing would be lost that isn't already sold by Chevy.
#180532 - 06/20/08 11:21 AM Re: The end?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Other then the G8 so is Pontiac. Besides Holden did the development for the G8 and will be continued down under as the Commodore.
#180533 - 06/22/08 10:40 PM Re: The end?
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I don't see GM selling pontiac since the g8 and pontiac is one of the main brands of GM.