Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181342 - 03/17/10 07:55 PM 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Help
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
The truck is one of my buddies at work. He went to check his oil the other day and got a surprise. Changed oil about a month ago. When he opened the oil cap he discovered a white-yellowish looking slime substance in the filler area. Smells just like oil, no real smell of anti-freeze, but also kinda looks like water condensation droplets. His engine is running at normal temperature. Kinda tells me a cracked head or block maybe. I'm just looking for suggestions or ideas as to what it might be. Thanks!

#181343 - 03/17/10 09:06 PM Re: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Help
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Definately has water in the oil. Has he been off roaring in water? I'd do a compression test. Low pressure will give indications that the head must come off.
#181344 - 03/17/10 09:17 PM Re: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Help
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
Ok thanks Herc. He hasn't done any off-roading recently but when he bought it, it did have a history of off-roading.

I forgot to add that he is losing about a quart of oil every 1-2 weeks now.

I did a little researching and it seems as though the PCV valve could cause the issue too. Another idea was this (from some website):

Quote:
"The "slime" is an oil/water emulsion, often similar to mayonnaise in appearance and consistency. This will sometimes form in perfectly normal engines under certain operating conditions (in particular, short trips in cold weather, leading to condensation). Now that the temperatures are coming up a bit, you could clean up the oil cap and pipe and see if the emulsion returns."
...which could be true

But I guess worst case it could be blown head gasket, cracked head or cracked block.