Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181637 - 02/12/09 09:34 AM Re: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
FWD car are more efficent in several different ways...generally lighter overall weight, less parasitic power loss in the driveline and they offer better packaging for more interior and cargo room. When the car makers go for mpg they go FWD.

I also owned a 91 SHO 5spd and it was a supernice car but I sold it for the same reason jaybur citied. I t seemed like it shared precious few parts with the standard Taurus and the parts were way pricey.

The new EcoBoost V6 is intended as a way to deliver more power AND improve fuel economy. How much or if they succeed in those depts will remain to be seen. With more modern 6spd auto trans I dont see why the Turbo V6 shouldnt best the mileage of the V8 sedans with cylinder deactivation.

The whole corporate jet thing doesnt really get under my skin that badly...mostly because I know people on other boards that actually have jobs in those depts. The people that maintain and fly the planes are working and have families too. Some of the planes are under lease and not fully owned by the companies in question. Its just like when the big wheels come to the plant I work at. They fly into Richmond and then come to the plant either by helicopter or limo service...all of whown are locally employed to provide those services. I really dont see their travel habits changing. BUT if theyre getting travel expenses then I see NO reason in the world that any one of them should be recieving ANY kind of bonus money. A bonus is supposed to be incentive based...required for success and improvement...it aint no gimme.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#181638 - 02/12/09 11:25 AM Re: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO...
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
I think it also has something to do with habit, and lifestyle.

Imagine you drive your F350 V10 100 miles everyday for work. You do not NEED to use it, but you really like to drive it, and the fuel costs are not of your concern.

Now imagine your company takes a hit financially. you COULD save some money buy getting to work with a more fuel efficient method, but you don't WANT to, you are used to driving your truck ,and want to keep it that way!

unfortunately you need to let someone at the bottom of the barrel go, in order to maintain your lifestyle choice. But it won't directly affect you, so you have the person fired.

maybe its not exactly that easy, but maybe it is?

NOBODY wants to "downgrade" their lifestyle. sometimes you have no choice, but if you are faced with the "choice" would you give something up? Not too likely. but that is just how most people are, and its not likely to change.

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2