Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18524 - 11/16/08 08:09 PM opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
daffyduc Offline
Loc: knoxville tn
I have a question for you guys.

I have a choice for my new to me GP. I have located a very clean 99 GT with 105k for $3800 or a 98GTP that needs a little love. for $2800.

the paint is rough, motor has a few little leaks and she has 120K on her.

motor seems to be in good shape no signs of problems with the drivetrain.

so is it worth it to put a little cash in to the GTP or at the end if the day are the GT's just a good - 30hp?

ps, I live 20 miles from Deals gap TN/NC and have recently sold my triumph speed triple, needed a car but want to still have some weekend fun. mainly looking at the GTP for handling over power (though power never hurts). from what I have read they are worlds apart.

also how does the SC effect reliability?

thanks
Thomas
#18525 - 11/16/08 08:11 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
daffyduc Offline
Another question while I have your attention. is there anything to keep an eyeout for with any GP? my wife has a 2000 bonneville (love the 3800 series v6, the main reason I wanted a GP) so we have already been through the foot of standing water in the trunk and changing out the power steering pump from hell. any thing else to look for?
#18526 - 11/16/08 08:24 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
I would say go for GT if you're looking for a daily driver. But if you have any desire to mod for more HP, might as well get the GTP. The GTP will give you all the basics to build up from.

As far as concerns, I would say LIM leak (which is what I have on mine currently ~ GTP) and UIM on GT's I do believe. And of course the dreaded foot of water on the passenger side floor causing the blower motor and possibly the resistor to fail as well. Other than those they are pretty reliable.

#18527 - 11/16/08 08:49 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
daffyduc Offline
well the bonneville was mine originally and when her car gave up the fight she drove it while I took the bike everyday. I can not pry her out of it now... and being that its ass cold here in TN I need a car again laugh

I was always pretty happy with the bonneville's power so I assume the GP GT(being a smaller car with the same drive train) should do just fine.

I have always wanted a gtp but I am worried that it will be more trouble than its worth....

edit for clarity: I do have a 97 blazer that I drive but with my commute (self employed on site service not a commute really) it eats a lot of my profits and is horrible to drive around town.... just dont really like it. I am selling it to a guy that wants a 4x4 to mud up.
#18528 - 11/16/08 10:20 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
daffyduc Offline
hmm after poking around it appears I have been misinformed..... are the GTP and GT are riding on the same exact suspension and support systems???
#18529 - 11/16/08 10:24 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
well i have a 2002 GTP with 89k on her ... well pontiacs are gonna leak GT or GTP cuz of poorly lasting american made parts (not hating on GM but sad to say) well i would go with the GTP if i were you i havent had a problem with the supercharger yet and it runs like a beauty so go GTP...btw my LIM is cracked as well.... so i mean .. its a tough decision maybe do more research first
#18530 - 11/16/08 11:10 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by daffyduc:
hmm after poking around it appears I have been misinformed..... are the GTP and GT are riding on the same exact suspension and support systems???
Yep.

Only a few differences. The bigger ones are the supercharger, differential and compression ratio.
#18531 - 11/17/08 07:33 AM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Only difference between the GTP and GT is the engine and tranny the rest is the same.

And yes that 40 hp is a big difference.
#18532 - 11/17/08 11:02 AM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
daffyduc Offline
but at 120K miles i would think the reliability of the supercharger would be in question. the leak is the head gasket and a few seals around the bottom pans. car sat for a long time as well... I think im gonna pass on the gtp.

I have the guy down to 3400 on the GT and it has been very well kept. dude has every receipt, the exterior and interior are mint. its been garage kept and serviced at regular intervals. better yet, the main driver (his wife) is getting a g8... keeping it in the family :thumbs

so most likely they are not having issues with the car and just want to sell it since they are buying a similar product for the replacement. I going to have my mechanic give her a once over but I think the gtp will be more trouble than its worth and with the amount of traveling I do the gas mileage would suffer a little. Im not concerned about the power as much as the handling and if thats the same, Im all set with the GT.

sound logical?
#18533 - 11/17/08 11:06 AM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Head gasket and bottom pans leaking. No thanks, go with the GT.

But, I don't know where you're reading that the "reliability of the supercharger would be in question", but you are misinformed. The M90 requires very little maintenance.

Also, the gas mileage is going to be a bit better on the GTP, not the GT. Just FYI.
#18534 - 11/17/08 11:10 AM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Supercharger/reliability is a non issue. As for the oil leak are you sure it's the head gasket and not the valve covers? Both the GTs and GTPs suffer from oil leaks at the valve covers and the oil pans.

Not saying which one to get only giving you info to play with if your search should continue. I wouldn't purchase a car that has "sat" either. Who knows if they properly set the car up for sitting with fuel stabilizer etc.

MPGs between GT and GTP the GTP actually fairs better when you drive like a normal person. On the highway I regularly get between 34-36 when I keep it under 70. Around town my work commute I get 21. 13 miles each way 6 of it is highway at 55 the other 7 is surface streets with little idle time at lights.
#18535 - 11/17/08 12:36 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
daffyduc Offline
wow, I did not realize the SC helps MPG.

The reliability/trouble comment was based on 2 things.

1. higher performance engines tend to have more stress put on them. be it from the increased pressures/compression or driver abuse.

2. if the super charger were to have an issue I would imagine its a pretty penny to replace/service.

I will be passing on this GTP regardless. the oil could very well be leaking from the valve covers but it is saturating everything in the engine compartment. (a good indicator of how this car has been maintained....) the current owner just wants rid of it.

although i really like the idea of the gtp I think Im going to settle on the GT. for the money this one has been meticulously maintained and very well kept. also I happen to be able to pay for this out of pocket without strapping my self.

oh and the MPG idea came from a review I was reading. gt rated average of 23mpg (20/27) gtp rated average 18mpg (17/20). apparently they screwed it up. I will see if I can find the review.
#18536 - 11/17/08 12:41 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
elen0841 Offline
Loc: Grand Rapids/Flint, Michigan
The GT sounds like it might be a better choice. However, that is just based off of the info provided. It sounds like the GT was taken care of better anyways.
#18537 - 11/17/08 01:11 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
daffyduc Offline
yeah I am pretty well sold on this GT more than the GT in general.

like I stated the guy really did a great job keeping this car mint and well documented.

and for the price I cannot pass it up.
#18538 - 11/17/08 01:58 PM Re: opinion 99gt vs 98gtp
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
It's not the supercharger that makes the GTP more efficient (well, not like a turbo would anyways), its the lower gear ratio, so you run at lower RPMs for a given speed. 2.93 versus 3.29.

For handling, make sure you upgrade to the GMPP handling kit.