Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185965 - 07/17/09 12:36 AM Summit Racing buyers beware
jlindahl2571 Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
Ok so I bought an Autometer nylon tubing kit from them on ebay about a week ago. Payed through paypal and what not and everything seemed to go smooth.

The next day my checking account was hit with a $150 charge from some bus company in Toronto. (The same city Summit or at least the retailer I bought from is from)

A few days later I was hit with another charge..this time for $750. Same place same deal.

So either Summit is selling their CC #'s out (which I highly doubt) or they have had some kind of security breach involving their online payment/credit card system.

So I sent them and email and stuff and I just wanted to let you guys know before you bought anything from them anytime soon.
#185966 - 07/17/09 12:57 AM Re: Summit Racing buyers beware
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
Quote:
Originally posted by jlindahl2571:
Ok so I bought an Autometer nylon tubing kit from them on ebay about a week ago. Payed through paypal and what not and everything seemed to go smooth.

The next day my checking account was hit with a $150 charge from some bus company in Toronto. (The same city Summit or at least the retailer I bought from is from)

A few days later I was hit with another charge..this time for $750. Same place same deal.

So either Summit is selling their CC #'s out (which I highly doubt) or they have had some kind of security breach involving their online payment/credit card system.

So I sent them and email and stuff and I just wanted to let you guys know before you bought anything from them anytime soon.
This is why you go to the website, not ebay.

Sorry to hear that man, Thats a PITA.
#185967 - 07/17/09 01:37 AM Re: Summit Racing buyers beware
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
Simply put. You either got duped or hacked. Time to file Paypal claims and call the bank.

"Mr. Mom"
#185968 - 07/17/09 10:16 AM Re: Summit Racing buyers beware
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
if you paid through paypal, summit never saw your CC#....
#185969 - 07/17/09 10:50 AM Re: Summit Racing buyers beware
jlindahl2571 Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
if you paid through paypal, summit never saw your CC#....
Alright then paypal is the one to watch out for then.

I am very new to paypal but I thought it was one of the safest and most secure ways of online payment. Guess I was wrong.
#185970 - 07/17/09 12:29 PM Re: Summit Racing buyers beware
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Paypal is pretty secure, I've never had an issue. the likely scenario is you went to an unofficial paypal site sent through a phishing email and entered your password, so then they had access to your paypal account. Change your password if you have not done so already. Google paypal hacked, I just glanced at the results, but the phishing email is the only possibility I saw, no press releases that I saw.

Also make sure you contact paypal, if your account was compromised, they will have logs.