Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186293 - 06/22/08 09:20 PM Found A.......
Dthreap Offline
Loc: Canal Fulton, OH
2002 40th Anniversary grand prix GTP with 89k miles on it and they want around $8000... Looks like it's in great condition, it's been sitting at this dealer downtown for a while and I decided to stop and look at it. Underneath looks great and so does the rest of the car. If I have time between summer school and work tomorrow I think I'll have my mom come with me to test drive it. smile smile Then it comes down to a loan :S

#186294 - 06/22/08 09:32 PM Re: Found A.......
20gtp02 Offline
Get the price down!

#186295 - 06/22/08 09:42 PM Re: Found A.......
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
If theres nothing wrong with your car now. Dont get a new one. Avoid getting a car loan for as long as possible. Also, depending on how long a term loan you get and how much you finance; 89k miles is pretty high for a financed car.
#186296 - 06/22/08 09:46 PM Re: Found A.......
Dthreap Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
Get the price down!
That's the plan smile

Quote:
Originally posted by brown:
If theres nothing wrong with your car now. Dont get a new one. Avoid getting a car loan for as long as possible. Also, depending on how long a term loan you get and how much you finance; 89k miles is pretty high for a financed car.
The tranny is starting to whine at low speeds and my exhaust tips are starting to get spotty (I think I read that the heads are going to go soon because of that?). and it's got 132k miles on it. Rather see if I can get him down and get it.

#186297 - 06/22/08 09:55 PM Re: Found A.......
20gtp02 Offline
Don't tell them you have a trade, until you get bottom price!
And you mean head gasket(s).

If you get it, you can really smoke the tires for your friends!!

#186298 - 06/22/08 10:05 PM Re: Found A.......
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
Don't tell them you have a trade, until you get bottom price!
And you mean head gasket(s).

If you get it, you can really smoke the tires for your friends!!
x2

But only get this car is you can afford the payments and insurance since this is a newer car in which insurance is going to be high for this model since your not 18 yet. Just calculate your money before you do this. Good luck.
#186299 - 06/22/08 10:17 PM Re: Found A.......
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
You would love a 40th. It's a great car to look at, and fun to drive.
#186300 - 06/22/08 11:44 PM Re: Found A.......
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
good luck with an 02 at your age, reson i had to sell mine, a newer supercharged car at being 18 years old, not fun on insurance.
#186301 - 06/23/08 12:03 AM Re: Found A.......
Dthreap Offline
Well for insurance we will put my mom on that grand prix, me on the 1999 dodge intrepid (as a part time driver) and my dad on the 2002 Jeep Liberty... OR something like that. I told my dad about it and he told me "Well maybe I should get it and you can get my car!"

As for payments I'm going to go by the rule of thumb "Never get a monthly payment of more than you weekly paycheck." and if possible I might take a loan from my grand parents. Because those are interest free.

But yea, I plan on calling up the insurance company and getting a quote and if it's reasonable then talk to the bank or grandparents and then talk to this dealer. Might see if I can't get a test drive tomorrow if I have time.

#186302 - 06/23/08 01:25 AM Re: Found A.......
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Make sure you don't let them give you the excuse that they won't come down in price because it's a 40th. They made more of those than pace cars and pace cars aren't really worth anymore than regular GP's. KBB doesn't even change their suggested value if equipped with a 40th Anniversary Package.

I'd say if you can get them around 7k you've got a pretty good deal if it's in good shape.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#186303 - 06/23/08 07:15 AM Re: Found A.......
Dthreap Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 98greenGT:
Make sure you don't let them give you the excuse that they won't come down in price because it's a 40th. They made more of those than pace cars and pace cars aren't really worth anymore than regular GP's. KBB doesn't even change their suggested value if equipped with a 40th Anniversary Package.

I'd say if you can get them around 7k you've got a pretty good deal if it's in good shape.
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can get some pictures or something. That way you guys can take a look.

#186304 - 06/23/08 02:12 PM Re: Found A.......
Dthreap Offline
Well I went and took it for a drive and did further inspections.

The car sounds good and runs good. And it has a good kick when you step on it. The car is a GT not a GTP so no supercharger. But I figure I can always put away for one and the insurance company wouldn't know if I put one on then.

The brakes I could hear rubbing, but they were much smoother than my brakes and stopped on a dime.The ABS and Trac Off lights were on. So I'm guessing it will need a new sensor in the front left tire (That's where the noise seemed to be coming from). The Engine bay was very clean, but there was some minimal rust around the Struts.

The paint overall looks good, but the rear bumper looks like it was rubbed by someones bike or backed into something. The hood has 2 metal grilles on the top and the one needs painted. And there is minimal rust on the metal under the side skirts.

Also another thing he told me was one of the sunroof wires needs fixed, but he told me he would have no problem fixing that and I believe he said he would have the ABS problem fixed.

He's asking $7995, but I think I could probably get him down some. I also asked what I could get for a trade-in on my car and he said he'd give me about $1200 but took my name and number because he said he might be able to get a buyer for me.

I also found out that this guy used to come into my dads restaurant when we had it and was friends with a friend of my dads. So I maybe can take that into play (most likely not but maybe.) So I think I'll have my dad go down with me next time and see what he has to say.

#186305 - 06/23/08 04:08 PM Re: Found A.......
soulonfire11 Offline
Loc: Chicago
Its a GT so get him down wayyy lower. i would only pay 6000 for it max. especially with 90k miles...
#186306 - 06/23/08 05:25 PM Re: Found A.......
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
And warning lights illuminated and non working sun roof.
#186307 - 06/24/08 12:09 AM Re: Found A.......
Dthreap Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
And warning lights illuminated and non working sun roof.
Yea, I'm going to start building a check list of things I saw and maybe leave my moms jeep there and see if I can take the car to my gf's dad (hes a mechanic) and have him take a look at some things. That way there is compensation. Jeep for GP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >