Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186525 - 04/28/05 01:10 PM Guessing game....
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Here's the question: What's wrong with my ditbike?

A week ago, I went out riding after we got a bunch of rain. The trails we ride on always have puddles, but they were full 3 foot ponds after all the rain. So we were flying through them on the way out and had no problems. Just got to keep your speed up and you can make it through these things with no problems. Well, on the way home, we had to hit the same ponds and on the first one, I hit a rut and my bike stops short. I bailed because I was going about 20mph and if I stayed on, I was justing going to fall in the water. By bailing, at least I could stay dry. Staying dry didn't work because my dirt bike sunk and stalled out when it sucked the water into the airbox. I had to go into the water and get it out, and push it back to the truck. It was quite the workout.

So the dumb thing won't start. Here comes the guessing game. I changed the plug and it still won't show any life. What else can go wrong with a two-stroke that would prevent it from starting?

Thanks guys.
#186526 - 04/28/05 01:19 PM Re: Guessing game....
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
For starters, you have a 'ditbike'!

lol
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#186527 - 04/28/05 01:46 PM Re: Guessing game....
GtCombination Offline
Loc: New York
Alright. Theres no guessing in the simplicity of a two stroke. Heres the fun part.
First off.
What kind? Make model, year .
Secondly. If you sucked water into the air box its sure to pass through your carb/reeds and into your engine. Did you drain your oil? Did you drain your flost bowl?

Your ignition system is simple, thank god for two stroke fun. But check the basics. Air? (wet filter, debris etc) Gas? ( cyclinder spitting, plug wet, water out of float) Spark? ( Plug on cylinder head-hopefully not magnes.- and creating arc?) Keyed ignition?
No bike is water proof. Check all connectors, dry them out, apply some elect. grease. Pop off your generator/stator cover and look it over. Could be dry, or wet system.

just a lil info needed before i can specify.
* Btw this is KC not JC, Im the Factory authorized Suzuki Tech, certified Honda, Kawi, and Yama.

" A true REAL mod takes longer than 1 hour to install"
" Dont like it then smile like a donut "
#186528 - 04/28/05 09:55 PM Re: Guessing game....
James GTP Offline
Loc: Southern Minnesota
For sure drain the oil. Whenever that has happened to me on my old bike, I would end up draining the oil multiple time to get it to be clean again. Make sure carbs dry like mentioned and lets hear the results after that attempt

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Mopar PCM, K&N, 3.5" lift, 5.2 v8, true exhaust

1999 GTP-Homemade CAI, DHP, No res/No muffs

2000 GT
DHP pcm, homemade CAI, U-bend/resonator delete, Taylor wires, Clear corners, Altezzas, SS grills, Reflective graphics
#186529 - 04/29/05 06:49 AM Re: Guessing game....
GtCombination Offline
Must be chillen, anything yet?

#186530 - 04/29/05 07:05 AM Re: Guessing game....
BryantGTP Offline
Thanks for the list KC.

It's a 95 Yamaha YZ125.

I'll have to go through everything. I was gonna drain the crank oil next. I'll let ya know what I come up with.
#186531 - 04/29/05 07:07 AM Re: Guessing game....
GtCombination Offline
Sounds good. Keep me up to date and i will do my best to help you out. By the way, you should of just told me i was a retard and just look at your sig. I just noticed you had it on there last night. when you do get everything situated and cleaned up, dont be afraid to use some Marvel Mystery Oil in your Crank and a little in your gas/oil mixture. Some great stuff.

#186532 - 04/29/05 12:08 PM Re: Guessing game....
WYTHE Offline
Loc: Campbell River B.C.
Wow, a nice street bike and a nice dirt bike. You are a lucky man.
#186533 - 04/30/05 08:48 AM Re: Guessing game....
BryantGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by WYTHE:
Wow, a nice street bike and a nice dirt bike. You are a lucky man.
I got to have my toys. This is how I can get by without a nice car. I have enough stuff to keep my mind off it.

And the dirt bike really isnt that nice. It's had some issues, but I only paid $800 for it and put another $400 in parts. So it wasn't a bad deal.

Thanks for your help KC, I'll let you know what happens. I'm doing it slowly cause I got finals coming up and work isn't making it any easier.
#186534 - 04/30/05 12:20 PM Re: Guessing game....
GtCombination Offline
No problem at all. Anything i can do to help savewave And as for the comment of the bike not being really nothing. With a little adjustment with the older model Yz's it'll perform just as good as the newer. My choice is always the older bikes. Although I prefer Suzuki Yama will always be my second choice, right up there with Suz. And to pick up a bike for $800. is a sweet deal. Depending on your knowledge i'll send a few tips past your way to help utilize the best out of your beast. Good luck on the fixes.
Try to empty your crank and your Float asap because water tends to diagree with time periods and the longer you wait the more fun it involves.

" If this post makes no sense just disregaurd it, last nights drinking excursion has me the worst hangover"

#186535 - 04/30/05 12:22 PM Re: Guessing game....
WYTHE Offline
The dirt bike looks good to me, my last bike was a 1991 DR 200 enduro and before that it was a 1987 RM 125
#186536 - 04/30/05 12:44 PM Re: Guessing game....
GtCombination Offline
I like the ends. But why'd you get rid of the rm!!!!!!!!!! Your crazy! I still have my 89 RMX 250. Can never gid rid of that beast. Want to hear something though? As a professional Technician, i've never rode a 125 in my life. Besides the YZF250. Pathetic riight?

#186537 - 05/02/05 12:56 AM Re: Guessing game....
WYTHE Offline
I was younger at the time and wasn't thinking straight. cheers to many beers. I regret it.