Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186944 - 03/28/06 03:49 PM Computer Geeks
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Bryant, AustinGP, zuul, Caesar, anyone else I left off:

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this product:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=97

I've seen the 0.6TB version on eBay for about $500. I don't currently have a server, and I've never owned/administered one, so I'm willing to pay the premium for this unit which appears to be user friendly.

My intent is to have it set up as RAID5 so I can have backups of my photos, videos, and important documents from my PC and my fiancee's PC.

If I can snag a 0.6TB version for under $300 would you consider that a decent deal considering the product that I'd get? I know Cnet gave this product good reviews...
#186945 - 03/28/06 04:36 PM Re: Computer Geeks
UMfan Offline
Forgot to add my alternative:

I could get my fiancee a new(er) PC and use her old Duron 700Mhz as a server. I'd need to buy new drives and a Raid controller...but I'd lack the software and the knowledge to know how to set it up.

By the time I bought a new PC and the necessary hardware and software above..I'm thinking this Terrastation would be about the same cost.
#186946 - 03/28/06 05:40 PM Re: Computer Geeks
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
To build your own and get about 600Gb:

1. 3 x 300Gb SATA HDD Link ~$300
2. RAID Enclosure ~$250

You can already see that you're above the price of the premade unit. I haven't done any research, but I'm guessing they use ATA/100 drives so you take a performance hit against the SATA if you were building your own. For what you are using it for, I don't think you'd notice a difference.

I've been looking into one of these for myself, but don't want to put the money into it. I've got 900Gb and can't address anymore heating problems into my small form factor media center.

The only advantage I see to building your own is the abilit to get a bigger enclosure. A .6TB RAID box is going to have 3 x 300Gb drives which maxes out the enclosure you are given. Building you own, you could get a 4 or 8 bay enclosure to build this thing up as time goes on and 300Gb drives get even cheaper.

By utilizing the old PC you mentioned, you could pick up a 3Ware RAID card and 3 x 300Gb drives for about $500. You could even load IIS and host your own web pages right off the thing. I've done that with my media center. I host my web pages and even installed a SQL Server for a complete development unit in a single box. Making a 700mhz machine into a personal file/web/sql/application server is not a big deal considering that the workload on each individual item isn't huge.
#186947 - 03/28/06 08:02 PM Re: Computer Geeks
UMfan Offline
Might have to put this on my wish list then. It is in fact ATA drives and that is one of the big complaints that I've seen against it.

and, the 0.6TB model actually uses four 160GB drives (remember it's RAID 5). They have a 1TB model and now a 1.6TB model, but those are a bit pricey (especially the latter).

Sounds like I'd spend at least $500-600 just to turn my old PC into a server PLUS I'd have to buy a new PC...so I guess one of these things is right up my alley.

The Jimmy C D/P might have to wait. smile

EDIT: and I emailed Buffalo to see if I could buy the 0.6TB model and slap some bigger hard drives in it, but of course that is too easy. wink They claim the software will only recognize 160GB on each drive.
#186948 - 03/28/06 08:21 PM Re: Computer Geeks
BryantGTP Offline
RAID 5 can be configured with anything greater than 3 drives since it just used a bit parity on the final drive in the rotating sequence.

Try this for a cheaper alternative:
Maxtor OneTouch III 600GB 3.5" External Hard Drive
#186949 - 03/28/06 08:22 PM Re: Computer Geeks
BryantGTP Offline
BTW - check this site for some great animations/diagrams on RAID sequences:

http://www.acnc.com/raid.html
#186950 - 03/28/06 10:23 PM Re: Computer Geeks
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:
RAID 5 can be configured with anything greater than 3 drives since it just used a bit parity on the final drive in the rotating sequence.

Try this for a cheaper alternative:
Maxtor OneTouch III 600GB 3.5" External Hard Drive
That looks pretty cool. I have one of the original Maxtor One touch external drives (I think 100 GB). It worked great until recently when the drive crashed and I lost everything. That's why getting a RAID drive is important to me.

Does this one connect to a network? I couldn't tell if it had a network jack on the back, or if it was just firewire... I guess I could get a USB network jack or something, right?
#186951 - 03/29/06 08:08 AM Re: Computer Geeks
BryantGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:

Does this one connect to a network? I couldn't tell if it had a network jack on the back, or if it was just firewire... I guess I could get a USB network jack or something, right?
Network Storage Device

There are external hard drive manufacturers that make RAID 0 units, but they are just as expensive as what you were orginally looking at.
#186952 - 04/05/06 10:32 PM Re: Computer Geeks
UMfan Offline
Ended up snagging one of the Buffalo Terrastations on ebay tonight. Got the 1TB version. Hoping the seller comes through and I don't get ripped off because he makes me a little nervous.

Snagged it for only $600 though and that model has been going for $800-900 so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

I'll let you know how it goes Bryant.
#186953 - 04/06/06 03:07 PM Re: Computer Geeks
BryantGTP Offline
Nice purchase. Have fun!
#186954 - 04/07/06 02:12 PM Re: Computer Geeks
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
That looks like it should be really cool. Give us a review after you get it up and running.
#186955 - 04/07/06 02:34 PM Re: Computer Geeks
UMfan Offline
FYI if anyone is researching these, I'd suggest the HOME server instead. It's slightly different but it allows you to connect to a wireless internet and wireless multimedia tuner at your TV.

I am kicking myself for not getting this one instead:
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=133&categoryid=25
#186956 - 04/20/06 10:09 PM Re: Computer Geeks
UMfan Offline
It arrived today and it's pretty damn sweet.

The "setup" was super easy. Just plug it in, and then map to it (though it has a browser interface to change the name, passwords, etc.

I've got a Belkin Pre-N wireless router upstairs which has good range/speed. I hooked the TeraServer up to it and copied a 600MB video file to it in under 5 min. Not the best performance, but it is good enough for me. I am now playing the video back (from the TeraServer) and it buffers every once in awhile, but not too bad.

Haven't played with it enough to take advantage of the built in print server or connection to a wireless media hub. That will come in time (evil smile).

Still pretty expensive for the non-geeks, but it's a nice convenient package that is simple to use (for non-geeks).