Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187010 - 04/03/08 12:46 AM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
So why Rook, is it bad for gaming and Tuning, and I'll tell you right now I am not going to be doing gaming, but I will leave that open for future options in mind if I plan to game.
MACs can't use .exe files, they use .app. The program has to be made for a MAC... and most programs aren't, including games. In fact, I bet you use a lot of little programs right now and you'll never get to use them on a MAC because they're not compatible. This is why programs that are compatible come in both MAC and PC versions. Also, if you buy Adobe for the MAC you'll be restricted to using your laptop by itself for editing. If you buy a PC, you can use the software on both the laptop and the desktop.

Unfortunately, you can't build laptops like desktops. You're basically limited to what companies offer.
#187011 - 04/03/08 01:11 AM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
The only reason not to get a mac is the annoying compatibility concerns. If the same software worked the same on both, then I might consider one.
PC FTW.

Just get something with a decent higher-end CPU and at least 2GB of RAM. Everything else is preference (HD storage, screen size, style, video performance,...).
#187012 - 04/03/08 07:24 AM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Keep in mind that that Dell support costs big time. Have you compared the price of a Dell PC with basic warentee compared to that with one with the three years on site service?

I have owned a Dell and have used one at work for the past 10 years. I don't have much faith in their product. But when you PAY for the extended warrentee their service is good. But you still have to wait for some one to come out and replace the broke part. Which means lost time in waiting for the tech.

And by the way Macs are suseptable to virus's. The only thing is Macs aren't as popular as PCs so virus programers don't spend much time if any to developing virus's for Mac.

If you look back about a year ago some one showed just how vulnerable Macs were if they were "targeted"
#187013 - 04/03/08 08:36 AM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
20gtp02 Offline
AHHH, the options in life. Well I will investigate and research some more. I definitely don't want compatibility issues, let alone I would have to learn the ins and outs of a MAC, which seems to have annoyed me using my sis Mac laptop. And the price difference in PC vs. Mac can be quite different.

#187014 - 04/03/08 09:13 AM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
The only reason not to get a mac is the annoying compatibility concerns. If the same software worked the same on both, then I might consider one.
PC FTW.

Just get something with a decent higher-end CPU and at least 2GB of RAM. Everything else is preference (HD storage, screen size, style, video performance,...).
i have windows xp installed on my mac laptop along wth leopard...i have absolutely no issues with compatibility....and rook what r u talking about not being able to play games or ne thing i play games perfectly fine with my adobe software and everything on my laptop....i have my games loaded on to my windows operating system on my mac.....u can use macs for everything, u dont have to worry about viruses, as u do with PC's and they operate sooo much better all around

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#187015 - 04/03/08 11:05 AM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
gateway FTW i love my laptop and desktop
my laptop has a core 2 duo processer 2 gigs of ram and 160 GB HD

but now my real baby is my desktop
blueray player
1 TB HD
4 gigs of ram
its amazing!!!! i love it

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#187016 - 04/03/08 11:28 AM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by '01 GT:
[QUOTE]i have windows xp installed on my mac laptop along wth leopard...i have absolutely no issues with compatibility....and rook what r u talking about not being able to play games or ne thing i play games perfectly fine with my adobe software and everything on my laptop....i have my games loaded on to my windows operating system on my mac.....u can use macs for everything, u dont have to worry about viruses, as u do with PC's and they operate sooo much better all around
Ok, loading Windows on a Mac to run stuff is a contradiction to why he should go with a Mac in the first place. That's a custom alteration and the Windows portion will be just as susceptible to viruses as any Windows machine.
#187017 - 04/03/08 12:36 PM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
its Mac, not MAC. just like its not WINDOWS or MICROSOFT. sorry, just a pet peeve. Why not get a mac? You can dual-boot so if u want to run XP or Vista or Linux or all of them then you can do so. Mac controls take a few hours to learn and if you are used to right clicking then get a microsoft usb mouse, it will actually right click (mac mice, such as mighty mouse, dont have right click). Plus, if you go to Apple website you can get a refurb macbook for about 900. If you need like, HIGH HIGH HIGH end then get a macbook pro, it has faster processors available over just a normal macbook and can also support 4 gb of ram, where as normal macbook can only support up to 2 gb. I would highly recommend just getting a new NON-pro Macbook, 2.16 GhZ with 1 gb of ram (DON'T PAY APPLE TO UPGRADE YOUR RAM BECAUSE THEY WANT LIKE 300 TO UPGRADE TO 2 GIGS, I bought 2 x 1gig sticks for 30.99 each from Canada Computers where I live) with a DVD burner (the dvd-reader CD writer drive is alot louder than the drive they use that supports dvd-burning). The ram and harddrive in macbooks are EASILY replaceable, so if you don't want to pay apple to do it (expensive) then you can do it yourself. Mac will have the software to do whatever you want, won't be the same program as Windows (unless its like Word or Adobe) but its out there. Mac also has TONS of useful widgets. Not to mention the little things like a magnetic end power cord so if you trip over the cord while its plugged in you won't send your $1000+ machine hurling across the room. I'll never go to back to PC, though my macbook is dual-boot with XP I rarely use it. Its your choice, but my opinion is go with a Mac, you won't be disappointed.
#187018 - 04/03/08 12:38 PM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
#187019 - 04/03/08 12:39 PM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I recommend Dell...

The new Mac's with the Intel chipset, you CAN run windows and do all the same windows functions on it.
#187020 - 04/03/08 03:51 PM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
soulonfire11 Offline
Loc: Chicago
Well you would have to go and buy a windows Vista Disc for 200+ so that just adds on to the price of the mac. Illegal copies+Macs=death trust me on that
#187021 - 04/03/08 05:45 PM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
r.s.hutchinson Offline
huh? not true soulonfire, you partition the harddrive to install a new or add an OS, how does that partition know what operating system is on the other partition OR if there is even another partition? it doesn't, so having Mac OS on another partition would not affect it all, its no different than dual-booting XP & Vista. it has nothing to do with the other operating system.
#187022 - 04/03/08 06:16 PM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Getting a mac and running windows is not a true dual boot setup; that's a little misleading. WinXP only runs through Boot Camp.

Personally, I hate Macs. I think they're terrible. They overcharge for all their products (which they openly admit to). Their entire business model is to basically screw the consumer whether it's the initial hardware or replacement parts later on.
#187023 - 04/03/08 07:18 PM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
r.s.hutchinson Offline
No, it is a true dual-boot. Bootcamp only ASSISTS you through setting up your partition, creating a CD with all the drivers needed for everything to work on XP (webcam and whatnot), it makes it easier for the end user to create a partition for you to install XP on.
#187024 - 04/03/08 08:46 PM Re: Help me decide on a Laptop
20gtp02 Offline
That was funny South Park clip there.

Well now I am totally torn. Basically I want to edit my videos, and either need Final Cut stuff or Adobe stuff. I can't use final cut unless I go with Mac. I don't have to get a laptop just to get Adobe stuff, since I have a fine desktop to use. I can upgrade that if necessary.
Why does Mac have issues with gaming?

Ifitwasnt4u, how come you recommend Dell but are talking about the Mac chipset?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >