Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188192 - 03/16/06 04:18 PM Ford SHO
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
My fiancee had one of these when we lived in Michigan and I saw one the other day that kind of made me miss it. I'm wondering if I could talk my fiancee into trading her SUV for one of these (it could be her car, and my project car)

Prices look cheap on auto trader... does anyone know what the major breakdowns were for these? I'm thinking model years 91-95. If it's her car it will need to be an automatic trans.

I'm not good at tearing apart engines, so I'm curious what it would cost for a new engine or tranny (worst case if I buy a lemon and have to drop a new powertrain in it). If I sold her SUV, I'd have about ~3-4k left over to put towards rebuilding the SHO...

Come on, someone talk me out of this.
#188193 - 03/16/06 04:36 PM Re: Ford SHO
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
ha! funny you should mention, I have two really good friends (both car buffs) who both owned SHO's from what I can tell they are fairly good running cars, I once saw one cruising one night that was makeing 500+ horspower, of courst it had forged internals and a HUGE turbo, but they are pretty good cars I think, watch out for the valves though, I hear that they cause the most problems.

Also, my buddy still has his if you are looking, he's trying to sell, fairly decent body, needs new breaks (rotors pads possibly calipers) but other than that its in good shape, Leather, sunroof, power everything, he replaced the tranny last year with one from another sho with less miles, it runs great... it is a manual though

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#188194 - 03/16/06 06:54 PM Re: Ford SHO
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Come on it's a friggin Taurus for petes sake. Snap out of it.

If you want a sleeper look at those Buick Regal GS's L67 power'd wink
#188195 - 03/16/06 09:17 PM Re: Ford SHO
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Are we talking V6 SHO or the rare V8? The V8s will cost you $4k minimum for an engine if you need one since there are so few out there. The V6 is a DOHC and requires quite a bit of maintenance, especially at 60k miles, which will cost you a chunk if someone hasn't done it already (timing belt mainly).

Otherwise, Taurii are reliable cars in all forms, but they just aren't fast unless you boost them.
#188196 - 03/17/06 08:55 AM Re: Ford SHO
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
I was referring to the V8 sho's both of thiers were V8's

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#188197 - 03/18/06 10:30 PM Re: Ford SHO
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
speaking of SHO's i recently got to rip one apart at a junk yard. they dont seem to be very well built since i was able to tear apart both door panels as well as the dash and the rear seats with my bare hands. smile damn ford speaker locations.

#188198 - 03/19/06 08:42 AM Re: Ford SHO
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I hope you do your own repairs. The manifolds have to be removed for any simple procedure since they loop over the top of the engine. My buddy had one and I did like it, it was more comfortable than my GTP, but definetly not as fast.
#188199 - 03/19/06 09:03 AM Re: Ford SHO
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I used to own an SHO and got rid of it because it was a PITA to work on and every bloddy part on the thing it seems is different froma standard Taurus...meaning you must go see mr. Ford dealer for lots of things...when everything worked on it (which wont often) it was a very nice car and fun to drive (love the 5spd) but the engine doesnt really come alive until the higher rpms so to get the power you gotta drive it like you want to wring its neck...my GT gets much better mileage and I still think its every bit as fast...certainly more torque...plus it required premium fuel to make that 220hp...if I goota pop for hi-test gimme a GTP...I dont miss the SHO at all.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com