Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188634 - 06/11/06 05:22 PM apalling
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Just this weekend I was in New Orleans. The place is still a mess. What got my goat the most was the fact of the low income neighborhoods people were living in houses with the roofs half on half off and what did I see in the driveway?

Brand spankin new Corvettes, Cadillacs, Trucks, Lexus's etc.

They got money to fix their homes so they won't have to live in squallor and they spend it on $50,000 cars!!!

I woulda taken some pictures but my camera was burried in the back of the car

On a side note I went into a Subway to get a sandwich for the next day while I was flying to CA. The teen behind the counter asked what I'd like so I told him a 12" BMT he looked at me dumbfounded and in a questioning tone he said"Is that the footlong?" Next he asked what kind of cheese I'd like. I looked at the counter and saw some nice swiss cheese with nickel size holes in it and said I'd like the swiss please. He started to put Monteray Jack on my sandwich so I had to tell him "No the cheese with the holes in it."
#188635 - 06/11/06 07:20 PM Re: apalling
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
Wow thats rediculous...

Here in Dallas we got people that will buy a maybe $1000 car...then spend $11000 on rims and a system...
It's probably the stupidest think I have seen anyone ever do....
#188636 - 06/11/06 09:15 PM Re: apalling
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Loc: Bardstown, KY
that is almost to be expedted. not to stereotype, but most of those people were of low income and on welfare. give them a bunch of money to get their life straight and thats what they are gonna do. then in a few more months they will be complaining that their houses are still not being repaired.

i cant help but feel bad for them and what happened to them, but if thats how you decide to take care of yourself and your family, by buying a car rather than fixing your house, then you get no pity from me!!
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#188637 - 06/12/06 02:47 AM Re: apalling
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
Even though I'm just 17 and I cant vote...yet...this is why I am republican...cause all of us hardworking people have to give money to the people that slacked off their whole life...just so they can spend it on nothing they need... And I dont mean to be disrespectful...thats just my opinion on it...
#188638 - 06/12/06 03:19 AM Re: apalling
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Sad but true,I see a lot of the same type of people in my line of business our company owns aproximatly 135 rental units and come rent time i hear all kinds of excuses ,but it never ceases to amaze me that the same ones short on rent have bought a new car or a set of bling bling rims for there car,I have become rather intolerant of these type and do not have a problem evicting them ,at the begining I was a little soft hearted but I found they would just screw you over for another months rent and move in the middle of the night (scew you sucker) and on to another unsuspecting landlord ,ever worse these same tenants will usually trash the unit .Chico.
#188639 - 06/12/06 06:04 AM Re: apalling
buggy2068 Offline
Loc: Warrensburg, MO
Hence the reason I hate everything about the welfare system. granted, there a few, and I do mean a FEW, people who actually need it and know how to use it appropriately. People wonder why they are still complaining about New Orleans being a mess. Oh Yes, and I also can't stand those types of people who go all out on the looks of their car with all that JUNK!! I am going to stop now before i get in trouble, bad subject for me to get into.
#188640 - 06/12/06 09:29 AM Re: apalling
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I just have one question.... Why build a city under sea level!?!?!? Isnt that just comon sense?!
#188641 - 06/13/06 12:38 AM Re: apalling
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Agree with whats been said...

As for the city. Maybe it was already too big by the time they realized they could be in trouble? Or maybe they underestimated the possible inflicted damage that could happen.

Theres a few program hosts on fox news that think rebuilding new orleans at all is a waste. This may or may not be true. I don't know exact figures on what rebuilding is costing, and there are some things that would be impossible to figure, but its really hard to say. I would say that not rebuilding should only apply to certain areas, perhaps the most destroyed ones.
There probably are, especially at this point, many areas that are still fine and worth fixing up a bit.

Would it have been better/safer/cheaper for ALL residence to just find a new place to live?
Then what overall economic impact might it have to completely eliminate the city and spreads its residence out?