Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189823 - 09/30/03 02:39 PM If I could build the next GTP.
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
To start with, I would change the motor to a better breathing four valve V-6, twin cam, supercharged/intercooled with the boost as high as you can. Next, ditch the FWD for an all wheel drive set up. Put on a ram air CAI, headers, high flow cat and performance exhaust right from the factory. Include stuff like the BMR strut tower brace, lateral and trailing arms, and beefier sway bars. Put in a full instrument array. Use 17 or 18 inch wheels. Huge brakes from the Vette. Granny grabber handles for everyone(not just the rear passengers). Rear HVAC vents and controls. A fold down rear seat that goes through to the trunk. A better trip computer with more data. Better headlights and fogs. Put in an MP3 player. And fix the phone to allow the owner to hook up his own cell phone service. What else?

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#189824 - 09/30/03 06:52 PM Re: If I could build the next GTP.
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Wow, in a single breath you just eliminated almost every Grand Prix buyer by putting the car out of their price range. Good job.
You also just took the fun of modding the car up out of the buyers hands. Kudos.
I'm just kidding. I think I'd buy that Grand Prix. Just need a fatter wallet.

What phone are you talking about where you can hook up your own service? My Dad's Jag had a built in phone that would accept most major carriers.
#189825 - 10/01/03 10:19 AM Re: If I could build the next GTP.
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Yeah... what he said. And a better cup holder too.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#189826 - 10/01/03 04:12 PM Re: If I could build the next GTP.
BryantGTP Offline
Hey jvojr, I like how you even mention that you want handles in the front of the car but nothing is mentioned about a 6 speed. Hell, I'd take a 5 speed at this point.
Anyone know what the reason is that Pontiac hasn't even tried developing (or adapting an existing one) a manual transmission for the 3800? I've heard of people doing it but you have to get a tranny from the old 3.4 liter engine and it costs a ton of money.
#189827 - 10/01/03 04:57 PM Re: If I could build the next GTP.
jvojr Offline
That would be a great addition. Remember in my original post I said "what else/" I knew that I was leaving out something(s). As far as a manual on a 3800, I could be wrong, but I think Camaros may have come like that. I'm pretty sure they offered a 3800 V-6 with a manual. I will double check that.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#189828 - 10/01/03 04:59 PM Re: If I could build the next GTP.
jvojr Offline
P.S. If they did offer a 5 or six speed standard, and all of the above, then you are talking BMW/Audi lookout!!

#189829 - 10/02/03 09:41 AM Re: If I could build the next GTP.
BryantGTP Offline
Here's an old thread that I remembered about. You can also find this if you search for: manual transmission parts
This was viperdavo's response to someone who asked about the process of installing a manual.

Viperdavo:
"Boy have you got your work cut out for you. The Grand Prix GT's never came with a manual trans. I work and own a wrecking yard and had a customer do this conversion. The bell housing shape is the same as GM has been using for years on their FWD vehicles. Now one that has the proper mounts..... does not exsist. You will need to make some or maybe someplace out there in the world might just make a mount.One that has the same inboard axles splines, hard to find as the Grand Prixs use a very large axle spline on the inside. Most GM cars that came with a manual trans had an inner solid axle for the passenger side. Now the manual trans flywheel. Finding one that is balanced for a 3800 engine, does not exsist, you will have to have one made.

If you did go through with this kind of a change over, here is what the customer here local spent.

Manual Trans Flywheel 428.00
Having mounts made 350.00
Special axles 425.00 per side

Here is what I sold him:
A Getrag M27 trans ( not the greatest but somewhat strong) 450.00
Spacer shim which he modified 35.00
Starter which he had to grind out the nose cone

Hope this helps you out.... Plus you ECM / ECU will need to be calibrated as it ideled at 1400 rpms when done....

Viper

PS Stay with your AUTO O/D and do a shift kit.....
LOL
HAHAHAAAAHA"
#189830 - 10/02/03 02:08 PM Re: If I could build the next GTP.
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
Manual tranny is an easy answer - GM wanted to sell the grandprix as a family car and keep the Fbodies as the sports platform back in 1997.

Plus, from past experiences, GM knew manual sales would be low and it wasn't worth it - costwise - to R&D a new FWD manual that could handle the L67's huge amount of torque.

As to most of what you posted - I believe most of your requests were in the G8 and G6 show cars. The G8 has the LS V8 but the G6 has a SC V6 if I'm not mistaken.

AND from current car rumors, the G6 will be making it into production (in some form) as the replacement for the Grand Am line under a new name (Grand Am will disappear like the Olds and Malibu).

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#189831 - 10/02/03 05:50 PM Re: If I could build the next GTP.
BryantGTP Offline
Quote:
AND from current car rumors, the G6 will be making it into production (in some form) as the replacement for the Grand Am line under a new name (Grand Am will disappear like the Olds and Malibu).
Taken from MotorTrend October, 2003:
Pontiac's G6 concept will inspire the next-generation Grand Am successor in 2005."