Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190956 - 02/21/05 03:06 PM Exhaust Turbo
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Hi,

I saw a race between 2 camaros on TV yesterday, they are from an F_Body Club here in Mexico, the objective of the race was to demonstrate if turbo or supercharger was better, in fact the program was so poor in technical information, but the one with the Turbo Camaro, mentioned he went to San Antonio Texas to get this Exhaust Turbo, installed in the Exhaust system and that it adds 50% of power to the 310 HP Stock. This with the turbo won the race.

HAve you heard about it?

Alex cheers

By the way how do i add my sig pic to the posts?

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#190957 - 02/21/05 03:14 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Same way as adding a pic to your post. Only you have to go to your profile. Click on your name.
A new screen will pop up you'll see an option to edit profile. Scroll down till you see the section for signature then type in the same way you post a pic on the thread. Easy. For the Exhaust sounds more like he had a customizer tune the exhaust to match his power needs. There is quite a bit of science that goes into an exhaust system to get the best all around performance out of an engine.
#190958 - 02/21/05 04:11 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
Alex Offline
I did it that way but only appears the link, not the pic like yours

Alex

My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#190959 - 02/21/05 04:19 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex:
I did it that way but only appears the link, not the pic like yours

Alex
type "[img]" before the link and "[/img]" after the link. But do it without the quotes.
#190960 - 02/21/05 05:53 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex:
he went to San Antonio Texas to get this Exhaust Turbo, installed in the Exhaust system and that it adds 50% of power to the 310 HP Stock. This with the turbo won the race.

HAve you heard about it?

A turbo charger does run off of the exhaust.
Might be just a regular turbo unit he's talking about.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#190961 - 02/21/05 06:01 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
Alex Offline
well he talk about it almost as a pilot product, in fact he said that he was one of the first ones in use it, and could be one of the first ones in complain.
I think it was installed near bumper by the tips, but i don't know they were not so specific.

#190962 - 02/22/05 03:47 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
Alex Offline
look this is what i told you about, i've never seen one of this.

http://www.camaro-transam.com/personales/aletz28/pers_aletz28.htm

#190963 - 02/22/05 04:15 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Hmm that's different

I wonder if it's in the rear because there is no room for a turbo up front on the Fbody.
#190964 - 02/22/05 04:38 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Hmm that's different

I wonder if it's in the rear because there is no room for a turbo up front on the Fbody.
thats exactly what it looks like, he kept the stock hood cause a turbo on top of that motor would mean a new hood,right?. looks like a dam good sleeper to me.

you know FMC kept there stock hood on those V-8 powered T-Birds, i think it was 97 or 98, the years they came with V-6`s. to keep the stock hood because the V-8 was too tall was they had to shorten the F.I. plenums to fit, thats why that V-8 was a little lacking a power..JAT
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#190965 - 02/22/05 04:56 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
Alex Offline
So...a supercharger is for induction and a turbo for exhaust??

#190966 - 02/22/05 05:16 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
You're right Herc. I've seen it done on a Lincoln LS. There's nowhere else to put it. It obviously loses some performance by doing it, but it' still an upgrade.
#190967 - 02/22/05 05:19 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
a supercharger is a belt or gear driven compressor that force feeds the engine...a turbo uses the exhaust gas to spin a impeller that shares a common shaft with the turbine that compresses the intake tract...usually turbos reqire some rpms before they can deliver positive boost (this is where you hear the terms "turbo lag" or "spooling up" where as the belt drive of the supercharger gives instant throttle response because its being driven by the engine itself. The drag of the supercharger becomes higher with rpms...this is why drag racers opt for superchargers and sustained high rpm road race engines usually go with turbos.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#190968 - 02/22/05 05:30 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
Alex Offline
so the supercharger allows to maintain MPG low right?, for example, my GT has the same MPG than a GTP, until they push the gas??

Alex

#190969 - 02/22/05 06:17 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
AustinGTP Offline
I've never seen a Turbo unit installed at the rear of the car.
I don't like the idea of having my air intake at the rear of the car, facing back. Wouldn't that cause the intake to not work at it's full potential? Kinda' drawing air out of the intake instead of forcing it in.

confused confused

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#190970 - 02/22/05 09:15 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
BryantGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
a supercharger is a belt or gear driven compressor that force feeds the engine...a turbo uses the exhaust gas to spin a impeller that shares a common shaft with the turbine that compresses the intake tract...usually turbos reqire some rpms before they can deliver positive boost (this is where you hear the terms "turbo lag" or "spooling up" where as the belt drive of the supercharger gives instant throttle response because its being driven by the engine itself. The drag of the supercharger becomes higher with rpms...this is why drag racers opt for superchargers and sustained high rpm road race engines usually go with turbos.
Another thing to add to this:

Turbo lag exists because it takes a certain amount of exhaust output to get the turbo spooled up. When you hear of Twin Turbo cars, often times it will be a small turbo that will spool up first to help with low end, and then a large turbo that will lag until higher rpm's kick it in.
#190971 - 02/23/05 03:18 AM Re: Exhaust Turbo
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
SO how many horses is that thing putting out now.
Good idea but bad if you live in a snowy state.
DAMN GOOD SLEEPER, u got that one on the nose
4 T 8......
#190972 - 02/23/05 09:05 AM Re: Exhaust Turbo
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Alex S/Cing doesn't mean better MPG. The way our S/Cs are set up that under light throttle conditions we arn't using any boost. Thats why the MPG are the same from GT to GTP.
#190973 - 02/24/05 06:03 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
Kirmie Offline
Loc: Toledo
Is it just me or does it seem like that filter is going to get real dirty real fast? Also, that is one crazy idea their. Whats next? Maybe the turbo in the middle of the car with the filter inside the cabin?
#190974 - 02/24/05 06:15 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
AustinGTP Offline
I've mentioned this to a couple of people, and the first thing they have noticed is the filter placement, in the rear pointing back, which would cause more of a vacuum out of the intake tube, at speed, instead of allowing air to flow efficiantly in the tube.

#190975 - 02/24/05 06:28 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I think the draw of the turbo would over come any vacuum created by the car. The only other thing to do would be to put a NACA scoop in the fender. I'm assuming this is out of the question if he put the turb there because he didn't wanna lose the stock hood.
#190976 - 02/24/05 09:47 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
BryantGTP Offline
The turbo will be affected by having to overcome the vacumn created. Hence the word "overcome."

I saw why not just put it in the cabin. That thing has got to sound cool. Good conversation piece too.
#190977 - 02/24/05 10:34 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
Goto http://www.ststurbo.com/

It has nothing (or very little) to do with fit... read the site.

As for Turbo vs Supercharger... the arguement has run on for decades and my only answeer is this..

Top Fuel Dragsters Run SUPERCHARGERS! and they go 1320 feet faster than most Turbos can get to 60MPH

I am a Supercharger lover and always will be laugh

The correct SC for the correct car can be just as good if not better than a Turbo!
#190978 - 02/25/05 03:42 AM Re: Exhaust Turbo
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
http://www.jccustomz.com/images/SV400020.JPG

On a GP, you can mount the turbo in the back.
Here is some more info.
http://www.jccustomz.com//PontiacTGP.html

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#190979 - 02/26/05 04:33 PM Re: Exhaust Turbo
BTC13 Offline
Loc: Neptune Beach, FL
A turbo and super charger are both forced induction systems. Turbos are operated by exhaust gasses and do not use any of the engines horsepower to operate. As for turbo lag, well there are safe and cheap, ie $10-15, ways to take care of turbo lag. Superchargers are belt driven, just like your air conditioner. As with anything else that is belt driven, they do require using some engine horsepower to operate, but there is no lag. As for exhaust size, on a turbo car, bigger is better. While n/a engines require some amount of backpressure to run right, turbo engines do not.
1994 Ford Mustang
1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby T II(putting back together)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >