Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191424 - 03/26/10 12:00 AM Alternator going out?
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Well my mom has a starting problem in the past because the car just clicks when you try to start it and the mechanic put in a push button start button straight from the starter until we can find out why it wont start.

I noticed when I hit the push button start, the car slowly cranks up and i notice the interior lights are dim, could this be an alternator problem, a new batter was put in back in 2007 of april I believe, or may.
#191425 - 03/26/10 09:16 AM Re: Alternator going out?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Your mom needs a new mechanic.

Clicking, slow cranking is a weak battery. Put a charger on the battery and see if it'll take a charge.

Get the car running and put a multimeter on the leads to the battery. Voltage should be 13+ volts at idle and shouldn't go over high 14s with raised rpms. If the voltage is under 13 then you have alternator issues.
#191426 - 03/26/10 12:19 PM Re: Alternator going out?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Wow. Fire that guy immediately.

Rather than busting out the multimeter, he just installs a push button start.
#191427 - 03/26/10 01:19 PM Re: Alternator going out?
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Yea I know, she always tries to find guys that fix cars for low price and I told her to stop that crap, now I got to get it fixed right.

Whats a mulitimeter and its purpose?
#191428 - 03/26/10 03:45 PM Re: Alternator going out?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
A multimeter is a tool that should be in every tool box. It's used to troubleshoot electrical systems. You can pick up a cheap digital one for about twenty bucks. You can check voltages, if a circuit is open or closed etc.
#191429 - 03/28/10 12:44 PM Re: Alternator going out?
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
The push button switch does nearly the exact same thing as the ignition switch. I assume your ignition switch needs to be in RUN, then you hit the pushbutton. All the switch does is give 12 volts to the starter solenoid, which is exactly the same thing as when you move the key from RUN to START temporarily.

It sounds like you have a bad ignition switch AND a weak battery. It could also be an alternator issue, if its not charging the battery enough. I would say take it in to get tested at a parts store, but I've seen them screw up the test.

Herc's suggestion is good... put a battery charger on it and see if the battery will hold the charge, then see if it cranks normal.
#191430 - 03/28/10 07:02 PM Re: Alternator going out?
Igor Offline
Loc: Columbia/College Park, MD
I want a push button start!