Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191446 - 12/21/07 04:01 PM Re: all electric mustang...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
People tend to overlook at how much energy and just how harmful of process it is just to get the materials needed to make the batterys.

Cars arn't the devil to the enviroment people think they are. Power plants, (coal burning)and large industry are far more influential.

I'm all for alternative fuels for progress and less dependancy( by the way if it wasn't for the leftist greenies we wouldn't be dependant on foriegn oil. Plenty of it in Alaska, Gulf of Mexico, Southern Coast of CA. But we can't drill it to get it.) But the notion that cars are causing global warming phhsssss. Global warming doesn't even exist. It's just a scare. Lets look a bit at some recent history. Do you realize that Jimmy Carter said that by the end of the 80s that all the oil would be used up? How bout in the 60s when (I forget who did the report) but the world will die of starvation by 1990? The 70s had "Global cooling" Every few years there is something to grab onto and make people afraid. What irks me the most is most people don't take the time to look at things and decide for themselves. They believe the first thing some body says and then it's gospel.

Since the mid-19th century, the mean global temperature has increased by 0.7 degrees Celsius.

When your talking points of degrees with multiple thermometers from multiple time periods read by multiple people comparing Ice cores, soil cores fossil records and such is it really that big of a deal?

So by my reasoning everything is honkey dorey. Not enough change to even quantify.
#191447 - 12/21/07 04:05 PM Re: all electric mustang...
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Herc.....

cheers
#191448 - 12/21/07 05:03 PM Re: all electric mustang...
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by ifitwasnt4u:
Herc.....

cheers
x2! Well said, Herc.
#191449 - 12/21/07 08:20 PM Re: all electric mustang...
Richard Candelario Offline
I tend to disagree, Herc. Throughout the history of our planet, there's "records" of the water line raising and dropping pretty often. There's been ATLEAST 4 times the ice caps have completely thawed, and then refroze.

With that being said: global warming is a very real event, BUT it's gonna happen ANYWAY, its just that humans may very well be accelerating things.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#191450 - 12/22/07 09:52 AM Re: all electric mustang...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
I tend to disagree, Herc. Throughout the history of our planet, there's "records" of the water line raising and dropping pretty often. There's been ATLEAST 4 times the ice caps have completely thawed, and then refroze.

its just that humans may very well be accelerating things.
I agree with you on the history of the cooling and warming. But show me a fact where humans have accellerated the process. And don't say increased CO2 levels because CO2 does not retain more heat then nitrogen.

heres an analogy for you. Take a football field. Nitrogen comprises roughly 78 yards of that field. Oxygen comprises roughly 19 yards. CO2 .1 inch of that field.
#191451 - 12/22/07 01:43 PM Re: all electric mustang...
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
So us spewing tons of pollution into the air, sea and land, completely altering our natural surroundings and killing off a ton of species ISN'T accelerating the process?

Last I knew, the earth was in balance and taking care of its business its own way before we came in and started diverting the flow of ancient rivers, hunting animals into extinction and general causing a haze of chemicals to permeate the atmosphere.

Given, some of that stuff doesn't affect global warming, but when taken as a whole, the earth would be doing a lot better without us.
#191452 - 12/22/07 02:55 PM Re: all electric mustang...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Do we do harm? You betcha. That's not my argument. But once again please post a fact on how CO2 is the bad guy.

Nature does find a way.
#191453 - 12/22/07 02:59 PM Re: all electric mustang...
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
People tend to overlook at how much energy and just how harmful of process it is just to get the materials needed to make the batterys.

Cars arn't the devil to the enviroment people think they are. Power plants, (coal burning)and large industry are far more influential.

I'm all for alternative fuels for progress and less dependancy( by the way if it wasn't for the leftist greenies we wouldn't be dependant on foriegn oil. Plenty of it in Alaska, Gulf of Mexico, Southern Coast of CA. But we can't drill it to get it.) But the notion that cars are causing global warming phhsssss. Global warming doesn't even exist. It's just a scare. Lets look a bit at some recent history. Do you realize that Jimmy Carter said that by the end of the 80s that all the oil would be used up? How bout in the 60s when (I forget who did the report) but the world will die of starvation by 1990? The 70s had "Global cooling" Every few years there is something to grab onto and make people afraid. What irks me the most is most people don't take the time to look at things and decide for themselves. They believe the first thing some body says and then it's gospel.

Since the mid-19th century, the mean global temperature has increased by 0.7 degrees Celsius.

When your talking points of degrees with multiple thermometers from multiple time periods read by multiple people comparing Ice cores, soil cores fossil records and such is it really that big of a deal?

So by my reasoning everything is honkey dorey. Not enough change to even quantify.
Honkey dorey? Got to disagree with some of the points you brought up.

The Bush administration initially refused to use Alaska reserves and the concept made sense. Oil isn’t an unlimited resource and once it goes, it goes. A solution is to improve efficiency so oil isn’t consumed much as Oil is also used for plastics. Once oil supplies start going low (not going to debate when, doesn’t matter), we own Alaska, our ace in the hole and we will near alternatives.

Cars aren’t the devil or the main source of pollution: True, but they are a contributing factor. Institutions are working on reducing plant pollution. It’s just not the latest fun news. Some solutions face liberal and conservative opposition because it inconveniences them.

Let’s say the global warming theory is just the latest farce. So we should go back to leaded gas because it lubricated the engine better? Get rid of all the emissions stuff on cars so they are a lot cheaper? Get rid of the low sulfur fuel because liberals wanted it and get the regular because its cheaper? Let’s not focus on land fills? Drill in Alaska and get rid of the spending on wind machines and solar panels so it can be placed into the community? We can then go back to original muscle cars! We can consume all we want! Whoo hoo?!

Our convenience shouldn’t be the only priority. Let’s take responsibility for our actions. Clean up after yourself. Examine each solution carefully and implement it. Regardless if the earth is going to be fine or not.

My point is not to focus if global warming is a farce. Focusing only on source and ignore the facts isn’t the way either. It came from a liberal = false? If it’s a conservative belief or liberal belief. Facts are facts, even if I don’t like it and it is an inconvenient to me.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#191454 - 12/22/07 03:17 PM Re: all electric mustang...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
The only thing that kept us from opening new rigs in Alaska is because of ANWR not to horde for later use. The latter is a political ploy.

Like I said I'm all for progress. Things can be done better. But I also want people to base their actions and opinions on fact and not heresay.

By the way I do do my part. I use my scoot which gets 53mpg as my primary commute vehicle and the truck is only used on those occasions that warrents a truck or the weather is junk and both the better half and I both have to work that day.
#191455 - 12/23/07 03:35 PM Re: all electric mustang...
20gtp02 Offline
Here's your electric car: APTERA

#191456 - 12/23/07 06:41 PM Re: all electric mustang...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Where do I put my $300 worth of grocerys?
#191457 - 12/23/07 07:04 PM Re: all electric mustang...
20gtp02 Offline
In the passenger seat man!

#191458 - 12/24/07 12:32 PM Re: all electric mustang...
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
Here's your electric car: APTERA
:rolleyes: no