Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19269 - 05/03/02 10:03 PM Why can't I get a clean dyno reading?
Mike Levy Offline
Loc: Flushing, New York
Every time I try to dyno my GP I end up with messed up figures and charts. Yesterdays chart was all wavy and looked like a roller coaster (see below). Did two today and neither worked right either. I also can't get a reading past 5000rpms, even though the tach goes way beyond.

What is it with the DIS ignition? Do I need to do something special? All readings are coming from the number 1 plug wire, in first gear.

This is yesterdays chart at the front wheels. I didn't save todays 2.

Anybody else think the torque is way too high and hp is a little low? I'm only running a custom intake and Welded UltraFlow mufflers.

Thanks!
[Rotate]
#19270 - 05/03/02 11:04 PM Re: Why can't I get a clean dyno reading?
Edward De Iulio Offline
Loc: Fairfax Station VA
I dom't know why, but i do remember that it took the guy who dynoed my car a while to get it right... first time i had the power curve of a disel. He kept changing spark wires or something.

ed
#19271 - 05/03/02 11:14 PM Re: Why can't I get a clean dyno reading?
Miker Offline
Loc: Belvidere. IL
We've had a lot of problems with the after market wire's not picking up the signal correctly. Try putting a stock wire on number 1,. Also the torque converter does some nasty things with the lockup. What gear were you dynoing in ? 3rd seems to be the most acurate. I've got a switch that when you push the button it locks it in 3rd and locks up the TC as well works great but there's only one so far. Someday I'll get arounf to makeing a few more of them smile .
347.0HP @ 415.6LBS/FT At The Wheels
http://www.c-ya-racing.net
#19272 - 05/03/02 11:23 PM Re: Why can't I get a clean dyno reading?
Mike Levy Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Miker:
We've had a lot of problems with the after market wire's not picking up the signal correctly. Try putting a stock wire on number 1,. Also the torque converter does some nasty things with the lockup. What gear were you dynoing in ? 3rd seems to be the most acurate. I've got a switch that when you push the button it locks it in 3rd and locks up the TC as well works great but there's only one so far. Someday I'll get arounf to makeing a few more of them smile .
I have the stock wires. Thats what I'm using. I have no way of getting the car into 3rd gear. I have no choice but to run it in first. As you can see by the chart, I'm not using a chassis dynamometer. I'm using Road Dyno from Digital Domain. So to make the run in 3rd gear I'd probably be at way illegal speeds.
#19273 - 05/03/02 11:31 PM Re: Why can't I get a clean dyno reading?
Miker Offline
Loc: Belvidere. IL
OH I've tried Road Dyno as well confused Problem is the MSD is putting out a double spark and confusing the hell out of everthing that Road Dyno needs for a good chart I think. Otherwise I have no sugestions frown
347.0HP @ 415.6LBS/FT At The Wheels
http://www.c-ya-racing.net
#19274 - 05/03/02 11:39 PM Re: Why can't I get a clean dyno reading?
Mike Levy Offline
So basically I'm not gonna be able to use the RD with the inductive pickup on the GP. frown It worked so well on my T/A. Always knew what mods gave. Guess the only way I'll know with my GTP is with my ass dyno. Unless Digital Domain has started selling their other pick-ups. Guess I'll e-mail them.